- Sonamarg - A quaint hill station in Kashmir Valley, is best seen on horseback if you intend to cover maximum ground. Two famous glaciers - Kolhoi and Machoi are renowned for being explored on horsebacks so that you can lay back and enjoy the Meadow Of Gold
- Pahalgam - located around 88km from Srinagar is another popular horse riding spot in Kashmir. Riding through the gentle slopes and pathways is a delight on horseback and a much-recommended mode of transport
- Ladakh - In its ruggedness and spine-chilling cold weather, exploring the wilderness on a horse is the best way to enjoy certain parts of Ladakh. Brace yourself to spot mystic Lamas and enjoy the serene beauty of this region on undulated terrains. Changthang, Tso Moriri Lake, Karzok, Pangong Lake, Zongkhul, Penzela Pass, Zangla, Panikhar Fort, Stongdey and Gelugpa monasteries are parts of Ladakh best accessed and enjoyed on horseback.
Shillong, set amongst fluffy clouds overlooking brightly painted houses and dark green mountains is a town stuck in the colonial era. It still retains the charm of the British architecture, and with it, the culture of horse riding still remains. You can ride all the way from this enchanting town to its highest peak situated at an altitude of 1966 m. A hassle-free experience of horse riding in India is bound to gift you mesmerising views on the way and from the summit. Forewarning, the journey up and down on a horseback can be quite tiring even though there is no physical exertion.
4. Matheran, Maharashtra
5. Digha, West BengalDigha is a sleepy beach town situated 183 km out of Kolkata where the Bay of Bengal meets River Hoogly. It is one of the many must-visit places in West Bengal, and one of it's most beautiful attractions is horse riding along the beach. Get on a horse, canter on the golden sand, have water gently spray against your legs and watch the sun on the horizon! It is a soulful delight, something one must not miss.
Echo Point is where the horse ride starts, and from there, one can travel to the Elephant's Head Point, Monkey Point, Kate's Point, Needle Hole Point etc. Venna Lake in Mahabaleshwar also has horse riding options. If you are put up in a reputed resort at Mahabaleshwar, you can ask the management to arrange a horse ride as most of them have contacts that provide guests with easy access to this experience.
- Princess Trails
- Krishna Ranch
- Pratap Country Inn
8. Solang Valley, Himachal PradeshWhen the snow melts in summer, Skiing is replaced by other adventurous activities like zorbing, Paragliding and Horse Riding. Exploring the snow-capped mountains of the Himalayas, watching the paragliders on horseback in the lush green plains of Solang Valley is something that no tourist will ever forget. The scenic beauty of this place is mesmerizing. The trip starts from Solang valley. From here, you will be taken to the Shiva Temple, after which you can enjoy the water and take pictures near the waterfall too.
9. MysoreThis place is perfect for those who want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Here you can enjoy about 4 hours of horse riding and also learn new techniques. You can visit this place any month of the year. Take a ride through villages, monuments, temples, different areas and discover many more places. You can choose from Thorough-bred, Half-bred, Kathiawari, Indian-bred Marwari horses and add royal flavour to horse riding in Mysore.
10. Rann Of Kutch, GujaratFrom the world's largest salt desert to the open grasslands, ride on the majestic Marwari horses which are one of the world's oldest breeds. These horses are known for their loyalty, royalty, bravery and unique temperament. Discover Forts, heritage sites and incredible wildlife during your trip.
Horse Riding VacationsIf you are a seasoned horse rider and are looking for a full-fledged horse riding vacation, here are a few unique horse riding experiences you may want to check out:
1. In the Saddle An international company that has been around for over 23 years set base in India and has been taking horse riding enthusiasts on handcrafted tours across the country. They were rated 98% as good or above (AITO Independent Reviews) and are a much-favoured choice amongst Indian horse riding enthusiasts. They conduct tours for beginners as well as experts, and some of their trips are :
- Fairs and Festivals - This one is a 6-day ride covering Jaipur, the bird sanctuary at Bharatpur, one of the largest cattle and horse fairs at Bateshwar, Taj Mahal at Agra ending with Delhi over the spectacular Diwali Festival.
- Assam Tea Gardens Ride - A 9-day holiday amidst the lush tea gardens of Assam, an opportunity to live a bygone colonial era and experience the rawness of rural India.
- Hola Mohalla - A 7-day trail ride across Punjab to one of India's most colourful and dramatic festivals.
2. Unicorn TrailsUnicorn Trails was started in 1998 by Wendy Hofstee, a veterinary surgeon by profession, a traveller and horse lover by passion. She started Unicorn Trails out of UK to handpick a selection of the best riding holidays with horses in good condition. They endorse responsible travel by the type. They currently have eight tours across Rajasthan and one trip to Ladakh that sell like hotcakes. Some of them are :
- Aravalli Hills Short Break- A 5 day long ride on Marwari horses through the Aravalli Desert and hills visiting Ranakpur Jain Temples, Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary and Fort.
- Christmas Ride, Rajasthan - A 13-day long ride of seeing rural India on horseback, visiting well know fairs as well as including the sights Jaipur and Delhi have to offer.
- Pushkar Trail, Rajasthan - An all-round itinerary of India on warmblooded Marwari horses with historic accommodation through Delhi, Ranthambore Tiger Reserve, Jaipur, Amber Fort, Agra and the Taj Mahal, ending at the Pushkar Fair, one of India's most famous camel and livestock fairs.
3. EquitoursEquitours is a popular vendor for horse riding in India, especially Rajasthan. They have only four tours but have generated great reviews over the years, especially for their keen eye to safety, and for providing good breeds of horses.
- Korta Ride - A 11-day ride across the remote villages of Rajasthan with the magnificent Marwari endurance horses.
- Custom Marwari Ride - This ride is a unique one whereby you can craft your own itinerary for a private riding tour based on your desired dates, number of days, accommodation etc. This comes with a guide and a vehicle to transport your luggage while you ride across Indian on warm-blooded Marwari horses.
- Nagaur Fair Ride - A 14-day ride across sand dunes, farmlands and rural villages to the Nagaur fair are what this trail is all about.