The people within the following categories cannot get a tourist visa and hence have to apply for an entry visa.
1. Person belonging to the Indian origin
2. Spouses and children of the person belonging to Indian origin
1. Passport must be valid for at least six months from the date of arrival. It should have at least two blank pages for stamping by Immigration Officer.
2. Tourist Visas enter their validation mode from the very date they are issued. You can spend a time of 6 months (180 days) in the country. Only US citizens, under a bilateral arrangement, can avail a 5-10 year tourist visa. However, they can still only stay for 180 days on a continuous basis.
3. Visas fee is in the local currency which means you may have an added service cost.
4. You need to submit two passport size photos (2 inches x 2 inches) with your visa application.
5. Extended Visas are easily available for people of Indian origin who are the owners of Non-Indian passports. The ones from Bangladesh and Pakistan are excluded from the list.
6. In case your visa lasts for more than 6 months and you wish to stay more than the limit of 180 days, registering at the Foreigners' Regional Registration Office or FRRO becomes a necessity. This should be done within a span of 14 days of arriving in India.
Online Indian Visa FormElectronic Tourist Visa
While India doesn't grant visa on arrival, citizens of most countries including Canada, Japan, UK and USA can opt for e-Tourist Visa (eTV) for tourism, medical and casual business purposes.
(In case you are visiting India for a period of 60 days or less).
This should be applied at least four days prior your travel day. It is equivalent to a normal visa, and the only difference is that you don't get a stamp on your passport. The application for this visa can be made online and does not require you visit the Indian Mission. Travelers having a Pakistani Passport have to apply for a regular tourist visa at The Indian Mission.The complete list of such countries can be found here - https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html. Applicants from all other nations or for all other categories need to submit their application online and then schedule an appointment with the Indian Mission. Travellers with a Pakistani passport or of Pakistani origin cannot opt for the eTV and need to apply for this category too. The visa fee depends on the type and duration of visa required. For eTV, it ranges from free to USD 60. The banks charge a visa fee of 2.5% on top of this.Re-Entry Requirements
1. As you leave India, your passport gets a stamp suggesting that you cannot re-enter the country for next two months regardless the visa duration.
2. Permit to re-enter is only granted in cases of exigency. For this, you need to visit and apply for the same at the Indian High Commission or Consulate in the country you are in or the one you are a resident of. If granted the permit you need to register at FRRO within 14 days.Visa Extensions
Tourist Visas can only be extended in cases of theft (stealing of passport and other important documents) or medical emergency. FRRO should be contacted in such cases. It is necessary to have a confirmed air ticket and photocopies of passport containing Indian Immigration Stamp and Indian visa to replace or apply for an exit visa. In such cases, FRRO may grant 14 days of extension if you meet the stringent criteria.Tourist Visa on Arrival
Tourism has a great hand behind the country's economic growth. Therefore, to promote the inbound tourism, the Indian government has launched a scheme of Tourist Visa on Arrival or TVOA for 11 countries. These countries include Japan, Philippines, Singapore, Finland, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar, and Indonesia. 1. Eligibility
a) The person has no residence or occupation in India
b) The person has financial condition sound enough to stay in the country and possess a return ticket.
c) The person should have a passport with at least six months of validity.
d) The person must carry two passport size photographs and photocopy of the passport.2. Airports offering Travel Visa on Arrival or The Entry Points
Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kochi, Kolkata, Thiruvananthapuram, Hyderabad and Bangalore Airports provide Travel Visa on Arrival.3. Fees
A fee of US $ 60 equivalent to Indian Rupees is levied on every person including the children to attain Tourist Visa on Arrival.
4. Group Visa on Arrival
Tourist groups with a pre-drawn itinerary approved by Ministry of Tourism are granted Collective Landing Permit of not exceeding 60 days.
Check the link for more information upon Group visaNote
a) Visa on arrival is granted for only 30 days. It is non-extendable and non-convertible
b) Its validity is restricted to a single entry
c) Only two visits are permissible in a calendar year with visa on arrival. There should be a gap of 2 months between both the visits.
Countries that do not need a Visa for India
A) Bhutan, Maldives (for 90 days), and Nepal are allowed visa-free entries in case they do not arrive from the mainland China.
B) Visa exemption is provided to the people with Indian Origin Card, provided they are not the citizens of the following countries:
- Sri Lanka
Top Places to visit In India