Exploring Bali can become even more exhilarating if one decides to explore it via bike rentals which are readily available throughout the island. Renting a bike in Bali is quite easy and accessible for the tourists.
Here's what you need to know about renting mopeds in Bali:
Bike Renting CostsThe process of renting a bike or motorcycle in Bali is fairly inexpensive and a very convenient mode of transport. The cost of bike rentals is mostly dependent on the duration of renting the bike. These bike rentals fall under the budget and hence, can be seen as a convenient option for travelling by the tourists. Most bikes are in good condition; however, the rent charges may vary depending upon the bike engines. The low cc bikes will have lower rent, and likewise, the heavy cc bikes will be a bit more expensive. The bike rent may also be subjected to fluctuations depending upon the season, weekends, weekdays and the bike type.
Per Day: IDR 30000 IDR to IDR 50000
Per Week: IDR 200000 to IDR 250000
Essential Documents for Renting a Bike in BaliMost bike rentals are run by locals, and these bike rentals could be easily found near the favourite tourist spots like the beach resort areas of Kuta, Sanur etc. Most often, hotels could also arrange a bike rental pick-up and drop-off for you. Some bike rentals may ask for some deposit before-hand, but this may not always be necessary.
If you don't have an International Driver’s License, then you can easily apply for Temporary Tourists’ Motorcyclists’ License at any nearby police station. This can prevent you from hefty penalty charges by the local police.
The application cost for Temporary Tourists’ Motorcyclists’ License - SGD 25
International Driver’s License
Passport size photo
Insurance CoverageUnfortunately, most local bike rentals don’t provide for any insurance on their bikes. Hence, one needs to be very cautious while handling the bikes, as in cases of accidents or theft, there would be no compensation. Recently, a few western bike rental companies have started to come up in Bali, which provides for fully insured bikes to their customers. Besides, one should go for personal travel insurance, which provides compensation in cases of emergency; as a precaution.
Inclusions for Renting a Bike in BaliMost bikes available on rent are in good condition. One can easily find a wide variety of bikes ranging from scooter type bikes to electric bikes. Some of the inclusions while renting a bike are:
1. GPS navigation devices
3. No kilometre-limit, however, keep in mind the stipulated duration of the rented the bike.
Types of Bikes for RentA wide range of bikes could be chosen on rent by the tourists like Honda Scoopy, Honda CB150, Honda Vario (150 cc), Yamaha Nmax, Honda CRF, Yamaha R15, Sym GTS-250 cc, SYM JoyRide (200 cc), Honda Beat, Honda PCX 150, Yamaha MIO, Vespa Piaggio, Yamaha X-Max 250, Yamaha T-Max, Kawasaki Ninja.
Bike Rental Companies in Bali1. Bali Bike Rental
Location: Jalan Raya Kerobokan, No 71c, Seminyak2. Dewata Harley-Davidson
Contact: +62 (0)821 4741 6202
Location: Simpang Dewaruci, Jalan Bypass, Ngurah Rai, Kuta.3. Bikago-Rent a bike
Contact: +62 (0)361 764 272
Location: Raya Kerobokan, No.71D, Kerobokan, Kec. Kuta Utara, Kabupten Badung.
Contact: +62 855 7467 9030
Things to Know While Returning Rented BikesThe rented bike must be returned on time as a late return of the motorcycle may cause a penalty. The bike rental company at the time of arrival, often, inspects the bike for any kind of damages like scratches, dent, side-view glasses, seat-covers etc. If any damage is found on the bike, the customer would be asked to pay for the repairs. Renting from a reputed bike rental company would provide a drop-off facility to its customers, which can be availed by tourists as well.
Bike Renting Tips
- Always wear a helmet while riding a bike on the streets of Bali, as the police may catch you and charge hefty fines from you
- Keep a check at the fuel metre and get it refilled as and when required from any nearby fuel stations.
- Follow all traffic rules thoroughly. Don’t jump the traffic lights and follow all traffic signs. Don’t mix drinking and driving.
- Don’t over-speed or over-ride, i.e. no more than two people should be travelling on a single bike.
- Preserve the bike keys and avoid lending or sharing your bike with others.
- Since most bikes aren’t insured, in cases of accident, theft or any severe issue contact the bike rental company.
- Scrutinise the bike for damages before renting it. In case, the bike, after being rented, gets scratches, then try to get them repaired before returning the bike back or else pay for the damages at the rental.