Today, Malaysia has a plenitude of night clubs, posh lounges, beach and rooftop bars to appease the party animal in you. Apart from this, you can make way to the night markets or opt for exploring places. We have compiled a list of places that will make your nights unforgettable while you are in Malaysia. So, if you are visiting Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi, Penang or Malacca, take a look!
1. Club HoppingThe first thing that comes to our mind when we think of nightlife is partying in a club - dancing to international beats and enjoying some nice drinks. These are the best places to chill out at night in Kuala Lumpur -
Sky BarThis rooftop bar at Traders Hotel offers the best view of the Malaysian skyline with KL’s Twin Tower as the crowning glory. The ambience of this lounge is very modern with sofas, wooden chairs and a well-stocked bar positioned around a pool. The USP of this club is the cosy cabana set up with jazz and modern pop hits playing in the background. Visit the Sky Bar on Mondays and Tuesdays and make the most of the Retro Happy Hour.
Address - Level 33, Traders Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur City Centre
Must try - Spice crusted calamari, vegetable spring rolls, crispy barbeque ribs and buffalo inferno wings. For drinks, go in for the tangy Selangor Sling or sweet-tasting Mata D’Or.
Price for two - RM 100 approximately.
Timings - Sunday to Thursday - 10:00 AM to 1:00 AM. Fridays and Saturdays - 10:00 AM to 3:00 AM.
Zouk KLZouk KL swears by the saying “Work hard, Party Harder” as it promises you with the best of Malaysian nightlife where it invites the best world-famous DJs to play music. Known for its Wednesday retro-style “Mambo Jambo” party and al fresco dining in a chic setting, the Zouk offers complimentary cocktails for ladies on Ladies Night.
Address - 436, Jalan Tun Razak, Kuala Lumpur.
Price for two - RM 70 approximately.
Timings - Mondays and Tuesdays - 5:00 PM to 3:00 AM, Wednesdays and Thursdays - 5:00 PM to 4:00 AM. Fridays and Saturdays - 5:00 PM to 5:00 AM. Sundays - 5:00 PM to 3:00 AM.
Marini’s 57 -If you are looking for a great nightlife experience in Malaysia and do not mind spending a fortune for it, Marini’s 57 is the place to be! Whether you want to go for Italian fine dining, enjoy the hip milieu of the rooftop bar or just enjoy sipping your favourite whiskey at the Lounge, Marini’s is all set to give you a night to remember.
Dresscode - Strictly smart attire.
Pre-booking of seven days in advance is a must.
Age limit (for the bar and lounge) - 21 years.
Address - Level 57, Menara 3 Petronas, Persiaran KLCC, 50088 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur.
Price for two - RM 450 approximately.
2. Explore Changkat Bukit BintangChangkat Bukit Bintang is a bustling locality that is located right in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. Quaint during the day, Changkat comes to life at night with shops all lit up, inviting aroma of street food stalls, watering holes at every crossing and the thumping vibe of the night clubs and VIP lounges. Also, Jalan Alor is a must-visit if you are heading to Bukit Bintang. This street is lined with food stalls, vendors and hawkers that happily serve the local delicacies at pocket-friendly rates.
3. Shopping and Eating at Petaling Street A part of Kuala Lumpur’s original Chinatown, Petaling Street is a popular market where you get a glimpse of Malaysia’s traditional side. Shops selling colourful gems, toys, t-shirts, accessories and other local gift items, the strong smell of incense and sounds from all corners make this street a treat to the senses. Here, you will be tempted to buy everything. So, make sure you bargain a lot! If you come here, do not forget to eat some yummy Chinese food.
4. Attend Classical Concert at Dewan Filharmonik PetronasLocated between Petronas Twin Towers and KLCC Park, Dewan Filharmonik Petronas organises concerts that are hosted by the best artists in the music industry. Dewan Filharmonik Petronas houses Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra and is renowned for its concealed movable ceiling and noise cancellation. For those who want to ditch the nightclubs and go in for something fine and soothing, should attend a classical concert at Dewan Filharmonik Petronas.
Address - Level 2, Tower 2, Petronas Twin Tower Kuala Lumpur City Centre.Apart from these, consider exploring the Cameron Highlands or visiting Istana Budaya National Theatre to watch a splendid theatre performance.
Timings - Tuesday to Saturday - 10:30 AM to 9:00 PM.
Sunday - 12:00 PM.
D’Reef at The Cliff LangkawiLocated at Pantai Cenang, D’Reef is a modern and cosy open bar. Warm and welcoming, this bar has appetising snacks and affordable liquor that you can enjoy with the serene view of the Andaman Sea.
Must try - Seafood platter and chicken wings with cocktails like The Cliffhanger, Hang On and Cliffquiri.
Address - Lot 63 & 40, Cenang, Mukim Kedawang, Lebuh Pantai, 07000 Pulau Langkawi, Kedah, Malaysia.
Timings - 12:00 PM to 11:00 PM daily.
Price for two - RM 150 approximately.
Yellow Cafe -Quirky and lively, the Yellow Cafe has a colourful ambience with sofas, beanbags, chairs and tables painted yellow. Relish a yummy steak at the restaurant, sip a drink at the Cocktail Bar or just relax in the Front Lounge on a beanbag or a hammock with lively music and a mug of beer.
Address - Jalan Pantai Tengah, Jalan Pantai Chenang, 07000 Langkawi, Kedah, Malaysia.
Must try - Steaks and pizzas. Avail great offers on beer between 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
Timings - Tuesday to Sunday - 11:00 AM to 1:00 AM.
Price for two - RM 100 approximately.
Charlie’s Bar and GrillIf your idea of nightlife revolves around beer and barbeque, Charlie’s Bar and Grill is your jam. Located at Royal Langkawi Yacht Club, is an open-air restaurant that serves the best cocktails and non-alcoholic beverages.
Address - Jalan Dato Syed Omar, Royal Langkawi Yacht Club, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia.Amongst other options, Antero is a happening party place. For some serene Middle Eastern vibe, visit the Rhu Bar which is located on one of Asia’s best beaches and serves amazing wine, beer, cocktails and enticing Japanese snacks. If you are looking for a posh lounge with sophisticated ambience, consider The Verandah Lounge at Danna Langkawi and The St Regis Langkawi for a refined nightlife experience.
Timings - 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM daily.
Price for two - RM 110 approximately.
2. Night MarketsIn addition to the bars, night markets in Langkawi are a glittering affair. There are different night markets on different days at different places in Langkawi. Amongst all the markets, Temoyong Night market is the best. This market opens every Thursday from 5:00 PM till the wee hours in the night. The highlight of this night market is the cheap merchandise available like clothes, sunglasses, accessories and handbags which you can buy at throwaway prices. This night market is famous for local Malay delicacies like Pisang Goreng (fried bananas), Nasi Lemak, fried noodles, Nasi Ayam (chicken rice) and Keropok Lekor (fish crackers).
Bora Bora by SunsetBora Bora by Sunset emanates tropical vibes with thatched hut style dining area on the long paved stretch of the Beach. The drinks are fairly good and the Asian food is something that one must try. Bora Bora by Sunset is the place to be if you are on a budget.
Address - Lot 415, Jalan Batu Ferringhi, 11100 Batu Ferringhi, Pulau Penang, Malaysia.
Timings - Sundays and Mondays - 12:00 PM to 12:00 AM. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays - 12:00 PM to 1:00 AM. Fridays and Saturdays - 12:00 PM to 2:00 AM.
Farquhar’s BarLocated at Eastern and Oriental Hotel in Penang, Farquhar’s bar has a rustic charm to it. This bar has a wide range of alcohol and is famous for its hearty portions of food. Try to visit Farquhar’s on a Sunday to savour the traditional British “Sunday Roast” meal.
Address - Eastern & Oriental Hotel, 10, Lebuh Farquhar, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia.
Timings - 11:00 AM to 12:00 AM.
Soho Free HouseOne of the oldest nightlife venues at Jalan Penang, Soho Free House is an old school British Pub with a colonial set up. Very English, the Soho Free House plays hits from the 80s and is known for its fresh brews (and that too at dirt cheap rates!). The food is delicious and will leave you craving for more. Pasta, seafood, Shepherd pie are a must-have.
Address - 50, Jalan Penang, George Town, 10000 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia.
Timings - 12 Noon to 3:00 AM.
Beach Blanket Babylon GeorgetownBeach Blanket Babylon Georgetown is yet another restaurant cum bar with a soothing ambience where one can dine in the open amidst greenery on a breezy night. To add a touch of Babylon, this place has used dainty curtains which look surreal when the wind blows. Do visit Beach Blanket Babylon Georgetown on Sundays for Men’s Night to avail great discount on the booze.
Address - 32, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, George Town, 10450 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia.
Timings - 12:00 PM to 12:00 AM.
Three Sixty Revolving Restaurant and Sky BarWith a unique concept of a revolving dining place that slowly takes a three-sixty degree turn, this restaurant is surely going to sweep off your feet with the most delectable dishes and drinks to die for.
Must try - Beef Consume and Caesar Salad.Another area which is highly recommended is the Gurney Drive that is another night market that sells the best of Malaysian food and drinks.
Address - 25-A, Lebuh Farquhar, George Town, 10200 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia.
Timings - Sunday to Thursday - 4:00 PM to 1:00 AM. Fridays and Saturdays - 4:00 PM to 2:00 AM.
Price for two - RM 200 approximately.
2. Batu Feringghi Night MarketPenang is well known for its Batu Feringghi Night Market that is frequented by travellers who wish to explore the local market and don’t want to go clubbing at night. Opening at 7:00 PM daily, Batu Feringghi Night Market has innumerable options for food, fake designer bags, cheap DVDs, fashion accessories and traditional souvenirs. So, grab a knick-knack and explore this interesting market of Northern Penang.
1. Cafes & Clubs As compared to Kuala Lumpur and Penang, there are not too many options for partying in Malacca. However, there are a few cafes and clubs where you can have a good time.
Hard Rock Cafe -Rock and Roll lovers, rejoice! The Hard Rock Cafe in Malacca is all set to delight you with its classic cheeseburgers, fries, tex mex and beef ribs. Bask in the modern well lit surroundings of this cafe and enjoy American rock music. Reach the Hard Rock Cafe by 9:00 PM if you want to enjoy the live band.
Address - 28 Lorong Hang Jebat, Malacca, 75200, Malaysia.
Price for two - RM 100 approximately.
Timings - Monday to Thursday, Sundays - 11:30 AM to 1:00 AM. Fridays and Saturdays - 11:30 AM to 2:00 AM.
Reggae on the RiverPicture this - Having fresh beer by the riverside while listening to Bob Marley songs! Amazing, isn’t it? Visit Reggae on the River for one such novel experience. Reggae on the River accepts only cash payment.
Address - 88, Lorong Hang Jebat, 75200 Melaka, Malaysia.
Price for two - RM 100 approximately.
Timings - Mondays and Tuesdays - 6:00 PM to 1:00 AM. Wednesdays - 6:30 PM to 1:00 AM. Thursdays - 5:30 PM to 1:00 AM. Fridays - 5:00 PM to 1:30 AM. Saturdays - 5:00 PM to 2:30 AM.
2. Night MarketsAre local night markets your favourite place to be? Head to the Jonker Street where night markets are open on Fridays and Saturdays. Like every other market, here you will find good food, traditional stuff and loud music. There is a bunch of good party places here too like Geographer Cafe and Sid’s Pub.
Timings - 6:00 PM to 12:00 midnight.Be it be clubs, cafes or night markets, wherever you go, every place reflects a unique Malaysian vibe. Impressive and lively, Malaysia’s nightlife is full of dance, music and lots of scrumptious food that will surely get you hooked!