Eligibility for an Online Visa for MalaysiaThe online visa, or eVisa, can be applied for by individuals of the following nationality from the comfort of their homes. A valid passport from any of these countries is a must for the eVisa:
1. IndiaIndividuals not belonging to these countries must contact the Malaysian consulate for their visas. People currently staying in Malaysia and Singapore are also not eligible to obtain an eVisa.
2. Sri Lanka
E-visa ValidityThe online visa for Malaysia is valid for three months since the date of issue. It is a multiple entry visa, but each visit can be only for a maximum of 30 days.
Essential Documents for Online Visa for MalaysiaKeep the following documents ready before applying for a Malaysian eVisa.
- Passport valid for at least six months from the date of travel
- Recent passport size photograph
- Frontpage of the passport
- Flight details - confirmed return flight booking (to ensure maximum 30-day stay per entry)
- Credit/debit card/PayPal account
- Hotel reservation (if applicable)
- If staying with an acquaintance/relative, cover letter with name, information, and ID of said acquaintance (if applicable)
- Yellow fever vaccination certificate (if applicable)
- Birth certificate (for minor applicants)
Photograph RequirementsWhile taking the photo for an online visa for Malaysia, keep in mind the following requirements:
- The dimensions must be 35mm*50mm
- The applicant's face must be centred, and take up three-fourths of the photograph
- There must be a 5mm gap from the top of the head to the tip of the photo, and a 5-10mm gap from the chin to the bottom of the photo
- The background must be white
- The photo must be taken no earlier than three months from the date of the eVisa application
- The photo must be taken at a studio and must have apt resolution
- The applicant must have a neutral expression - no smiling, frowning or grinning
- The applicant's mouth must be closed, and he/she must look straight ahead. The head cannot be tilted
- Hair must not obstruct the face. Applicants with long hair must tuck it behind their ears and not cover their face
- Caps, hats, and headbands are not allowed. Headgear with religious purposes (e.g. hijab, skull cap) are allowed, but care must be taken to ensure that they do not hide the face
- Sunglasses are not allowed. Prescription glasses may be worn if they do not cause glare
- The photo must not be doctored, heavily edited, adjusted for unconventional exposure or contrast, or have features/birthmarks/identifying marks/scars distorted. Skin colour must not be edited
- Black-and-white photos are not allowed
- Red eyes must not be edited out - the photo must be retaken
- How to apply for an online visa for Malaysia
- Visit the official visa application website of the Malaysian embassy at www.windowmalayia.my/evisa/evisa.jsp and choose 'New Users'
- Enter personal information, nationality, and passport information to create a new account.
- Provide a valid email ID as this is the only point of communication with the government, and the eVisa will be sent to this ID.
- Proceed with the payment with a Visa/Mastercard/PayPal account.
- Upload relevant documents - photograph, passport, etc.
- Receive the confirmation mail from the government and wait to receive the eVisa within the stipulated period.
Online Visa Check for MalaysiaVisit the official eVisa website and enter the reference number provided at the time of application to check the status. One can also verify the authenticity of the eVisa by entering the number in the 'Check eVISA/eNTRI Authenticity' column.
eNTRI VisaCitizens of Malaysia and mainland China who wish to visit Malaysia for less than 15 days can also opt for an electronic Travel Registration and Information (eNTRI) visa instead of an eVisa. One can apply for this online the same way as an eVisa, and present it at the entry checkpoint. Keep in mind that this is a single entry visa valid which can be used for 15 days, and is valid for 90 days from the date of issue.
Cost for an Online Visa for MalaysiaThe price varies depending on the processing time.
Standard processing time (6 business days): USD 80
Rush processing time (4 business days): USD 110
Super rush processing time (2 business days): USD 130
Standard processing time (24 hours): USD 56.50
Rush processing time (4 hours): USD 86.50
Super rush processing time (1 hour): USD 106.50
Cancellation or Withdrawal of eVisaThe online visa for Malaysia may be cancelled or withdrawn by the Malaysian government if any foul play has been detected. In case the applicant wishes to cancel/withdraw the application, only partial refunds are issued. If the application has not been submitted to the government for approval and the applicant wishes to cancel it, a cancellation fee of USD 40 is levied. If the document is under scrutiny already, no refund is issued. In case multiple/duplicate payments have been made in error, only the additional fee will be refunded. In case the visa has been denied by the government, no refund will be issued.
Online Visa for Malaysia - Must Know
- We recommend applying for the eVisa at least two weeks before departure for hassle-free processing.
- All communications will be through email.Once the visa is approved, applicants must take a printout in a letter-sized sheet and present it with proof of accommodation, sufficient funds, and onward ticket upon entry into Malaysia.
- The eVisa alone does not guarantee entry into Malaysia.
The eVisa is a convenient, simple gateway to Malaysia. Our comprehensive guide is sure to help in obtaining it in a hassle-free way. Check out our guides to the must-visit destinations in Malaysia and let the journey begin!