Microlight flying is an aero sport which has gained popularity in recent times. The sport has been revolutionary in the sense that it has given everyone an opportunity to experience the exhilaration of soaring in the sky, miles above the ground, without the high expenses of the usual flying options available. Here, we explore the whats and hows of this adventure sport and the details of microlight flying in India.
What is Microlight Flying?
Best Time to Go Microlight Flying in IndiaWinter, late autumn, and early spring is the best period to try microlight flying. October to March, the skies are usually clearer with a stable atmosphere.
Important Information Regarding Microlight Flying
Criteria & Eligibility for Solo Microlight Flying
- The person should be at least 17 years old.
- The person should have a Microlight Pilot license. To acquire the license the person has to undertake a 60 hours training program that includes at least 40 hours flying and clear the oral and written examination which is conducted by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation. The license has to renew annually, and the aircraft should be registered under the relevant authority. The aircraft is subjected to regular checks to ensure its quality.
Minimum Requirements To Fly With a Pilot
- The participant should be at least 10 years old.
- The participant should not be under the influence of alcohol or other narcotics.
- Only one person can fly at a time.
- Expecting women are strictly prohibited from flying.
- If you suffer from issues like epilepsy, diabetes, neurological disorders, high blood pressure, heart ailments or other associated health problems, it is expected that you do not undertake the activity.
Documents RequiredValid ID proof like passport, PAN card, driving license or Voter's ID.
Approximate CostINR 3,000 to INR 5,000 for a 10-minute flying session. Other things covered in this are flight chargers, pilot charges, briefing, welcome drink, and takes.
Places for Microlight Flying in India
1. Mysore (old airport)
Price: INR 5,000 for 15 minutes
2. Jakkur (Bangalore)
Price: INR 3,333 for 10 minutes
3. Tambaram (Chennai)
Price: INR 25,000 for two people for 30 minutes
Safety Tips When Microlight FlyingIt is extremely important that everything on the aircraft is properly secured since anything getting caught in the propeller which is right behind you can lead to major problems. There is just a single seatbelt that secures you.
The experience is certainly thrilling and one of a kind. It is like flying a motorbike in the air. You should definitely try microlight flying the next time you are in Bangalore seeing as microlight flying in India is more accessible than ever!