Timings of Sunset in Phuket:The climate of Phuket is mostly tropical. The weather generally varies between hot, cold and rainy. However, it never really gets too cold. The best time to visit is during the cooler season, from November to February. The sunset timings are as follows:
November to February (Winter): Between 6:00 PM to 6:30 PMAnd now, we bring you our top recommendations of bars, beaches and other vantage points; to see the sun go down in Phuket:
March to mid-May (Summer): Between 6:30 PM to 6:40 PM
Mid-May to October (Monsoon): Between 6:15 PM to 6:40 PM
1. Radar Hill ViewpointRadar Hill ViewPoint is one of the highest peaks in Phuket. It is located high above Patong Beach. Though it is quite challenging to reach because of the high terrain and steep slopes, the view is quite rewarding. You’ll undoubtedly realise that once you’re up there. It gives you a bird's eye view of the picturesque Phuket island. Later in the day, when the sky changes shades between yellow and red, this viewpoint provides you with a fantastic sight of Phuket Town. Sunset views here are undoubtedly majestic. You can not even imagine the sunset backdrop you get to catch at this viewpoint. Trust me, and you SHOULD NOT miss this!
Address: On Chao Fa West Road, take the small road up to Villa Zolitude. Radar Hill Viewpoint is located about two kilometres after the hotel.Kata and Chalong, the Phuket Big Buddha is one of the most revered and visited landmarks in Phuket. It is made up of concrete layered with Burmese white jade marble that shines beautifully in the sun. The glowing silhouette of Buddha against the dusk light is phenomenal. You can also catch the view of the setting sun behind the Karon Bay, which is visible from this viewpoint. Make sure you do not forget to capture the 360° panoramic views behind the lens!
Address: Tambon Karon, Phuket
Timings: 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM (try to be there before 6:30 PM if you want to witness the splendid sunset)
Best Beaches to Catch the Sunset in Phuket
6. Patong BeachPatong is a resort beach town situated on the west coast of Phuket Island. It is one of the busiest beaches and for all the right reasons! The monsoon brings new life to the skies and cloudscape in Phuket and hence adding charm to the sunset views. The captivating sunset views from this beach is a treat to the eyes. The beach is lined with many bars and restaurants that offer delicious Thai cuisine. Wassa Homemade Bar is the ultimate sundowner spot around this area, and you must check it.
7. Kata BeachWhite sands, azure waters, dense tropical greenery and refreshing breezes are some of the few things that make this beach so unique. You can have a relaxed evening, resting in the shaded southern end of the beach while watching the sun go down. The scintillating reflection of the sun on the clear waters and the soft blowing breeze make the best vibes around here. It is one of the most preferred destinations to watch sunset views.
8. Karon BeachIt is a relatively quiet beach, and you can head to it if you’re looking for a day of relaxing by the beach. It is famous for its viewpoint that offers views of Kata Noi, Kata Yai and Karon Beaches and is locally called ‘Khao Saam Haad’ (Three Beaches Hill). This beach makes for a captivating view of the sunset in Phuket. As the sun sets down, splitting the horizons into various shades of yellow, red and orange; the clear water seems no less than a mirror to the enticing sun.
9. Surin BeachLined with various boutique shops, high-end resorts and restaurants, this beach is a rather sophisticated one. The sunset views here are stunning. You can feel a painting come to life as the sun changes its shades. Its crystal clear waters are great for kayaking, surfing, boogie boarding and snorkelling.
10. Nai Harn BeachNai Harn beach is quite close to the Karon viewpoint. It has an impressively inviting aura and is very peaceful. It has many exciting attractions around the area such as the Nai Harn Lake, Nai Harn Monastery and viewpoints like Promthep Cape and Karon Viewpoint. You can spend the day enjoying yourself at these places and head back to the beach, to witness the mesmerising sunset. You’ll also find Ao Sane Beach nearby. This beach is a hidden gem. It is a rocky beach with an impressive coastline surrounded by lush green trees.
Best Bars and Restaurants to Catch the Sunset in Phuket
11. Joe’s Downstairs (Outer Deck)Located right across the Kalim Bay (north of Patong), this ultra-chic restaurant is a perfect sundowner spot. With an all-white themed interior and a wooden terrace built atop the rocks, Joe’s sets the mood for a perfect evening. The garden terrace provides with an unobstructed view of the west coast, thus giving a fantastic backdrop to the sunset. It is the year-after-year winner of Wine Spectator Magazine’s ‘Award of Excellence’ and has an impressive collection of cocktails and wine. Grab a drink, choose your favourite appetiser from its flattering menu and head out to witness the golden hour amidst the extravaganza!
Location: 223/3 Prabaramee Road, Patong, Amphoe Kathu, Chang Wat Phuket 83150, Thailand
Timings: 12:00 PM to 11:00 PM
12. Baba Nest (Rooftop Bar)A rooftop bar, Baba Nest, boasts of being one of the most sophisticated and exclusive bars in Phuket. Overlooking the Andaman Sea and Phuket’s southeastern peninsula, Baba Nest promises one of the most rewarding sights of the sunset in Phuket. Surrounded by an infinity pool and decked up with chic and contemporary interior, this rooftop bar makes one of the most Instagram worthy places. Pick any drink from their exclusive collection of high-end cocktails, wines and champagnes and enjoy the panoramic vistas.
But mind you, book your tables well in advance as the place gets filled up real quick.
Location: Sri Panwa Phuket, 88/5 Sakdidej Road, Phuket
Timings: 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM
13. 360° Bar (Outer Deck)It is one of the most iconic sunset hotspots in Phuket. If the thought of witnessing sweeping panoramic vistas and dense tropical greenery while sipping on a chilled beer is your idea to end the day, 360° Bar is hands down, the best place to watch the sun go down. This upscale destination is perched on a lofty hilltop, giving you some of the most breathtaking views.
The bar serves some of the most delicious appetisers, tapas and local cuisine. The super chic set up and lamps add to the intimate atmosphere, making it ideal for a date. The bar has a dress code of smart casual so, make sure you're dressed accordingly.
Location: 31/, 232/1 Moo 6 Choeng Thale, Thalang District, Phuket
Timings: 5:30 PM to 11:00 PM
14. The Boathouse Phuket (Outer Deck and Rooftop Lounge)The Boathouse is one of the most luxurious beachfront resorts in Phuket. They have an impeccably furnished private dining area, an outdoor terrace overlooking the beach, an iconic bar and a ravishing rooftop sunset lounge. Choose whatever suits you the best since each one provides view out to the heavenly blue waters of the Andaman Sea and a stunning backdrop to the sunset in Phuket. While it is open almost throughout the day, the best time to visit is perhaps just before the golden hour and soak in the magnificent view of the sunset.
They also provide complimentary shuttle service around the Kata - Karon area from 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM daily (This is, however subject to availability. Do check it once before heading out.)
Location: 182 Koktanode Road, Kata Beach, Phuket
Timings: 6:30 AM to 12:00 AM
15. Wassa Homemade Bar (Outer Deck)Located in the Patong Beach, Wassa Homemade Bar is the ultimate sundowner spot. Its open-air deck views out to the Andaman sea and is a perfect place to witness the beautiful twilight. It has a very serene ambience and excellent hospitality. Monsoon is preferably the best time to see the ever-changing cloudscape and believe me, and it's worth being captured behind the lens! Choose anything from their carefully crafted cocktails, grab any local Thai snack and behold the unbeatable views of the setting sun.
Location: 50 Pee Road, Pa Tong, Phuket
Timings: 4:00 PM to 12:00 AM
16. Kata Rocks Restaurant (Outer Deck) This restaurant is located within a short walk from both Kata Noi and Kata Yai beaches. You can straight away head to this exclusive dinner after a fun day at the beach, to watch the day wind down. The views here for the sunset in Phuket are legendary and majestic. Perched on a jagged headland, this restaurant has impressive interior and an iconic infinity swimming pool over the ocean. The restaurant also serves the delectable Mediterranean and seafood cuisine.
Location: 186/22 Kok Tanode Road, Kata Beach, Phuket
Timings: 6:30 AM to 10:00 PM
17. Diavolo Restaurant (Terrace)Diavolo is one of the restaurants in Paresa Resort, located along the renowned Millionaires’ Mile. The restaurant has an indoor dining area as well as a terrace which offers spectacular 270-degree ocean views. The sunset over the ocean is merely fantastic from the high point. It is a perfect place to hang out with family and loved ones.
Location: Nakalay Road (Millionaires’ Mile), Kamala, Kathu, Phuket
18. The Beach Bar When it comes to soaking in the comfy, casual and laid back vibes; Beach Bar is the ultimate place for you. Located right by the beach at Cape Panwa and overlooking the Chalong Bay, this is a rather cheap and cosy one. It has chairs and tables set right at the beach under the glowing light bulbs to add a pinch of drama. You can enjoy the classic Thai dishes and a fantastic array of delicious seafood at affordable prices. If you’re looking for a relaxed and chilled out evening, put on a beach dress, a cane hat and find your way to this beautiful beach-side bar and watch the beautiful sunset in Phuket.
Location: 19, 5/16-19 Soi Ao-Yon Khaokhad, Panwa Beach
Timings: 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM
19. Vanilla Sky Bar and Gastro Pub (Outer Deck) This one’s a perfect place to witness the sunset show. With Rayee Beach on the left and the main beach of Kamala on the right, this place is no less than a paradise when it comes to witnessing incredible ocean views. The bar has an exclusive range of drinks to choose from, and the views are breathtakingly beautiful. Oh, and you can also enjoy drinks at discounted rates during the daily Happy Hours. There’s also a steakhouse right below the bar with an equally fantastic setting. You might want to check that out too!
Location: 18/40 Moo 6, Nakalay Road, Kamala, Kathu District, Phuket
Timings: 5:00 PM to 12:00 AM
20. After Beach Bar (Outer Deck) The After Beach Bar is the oldest and best-known restaurant located atop the boulders near Kata Noi Beach. You can enjoy a fantastic view of the sunset against Kata Noi Beach. It is a reggae-themed restaurant with a spacious deck and breathtaking views. As the evening sets in you would find yourself grooving to some Bob Marley songs and enjoying the delectable cuisine the bar offers. The place is quite affordable, and the aura is surprisingly calm, so might not want to miss this one!
Location: 44 Thanon Kata, Tambon Karon, PhuketPhuket is blessed with utterly beautiful sunset views. Be it anywhere in Phuket, the views and the aura will give you some of the best memories of all time. Make sure you don’t miss the beautiful sunset in Phuket when visiting!
Timings: 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM