The East Coast of Malaysia that includes the islands of Tioman, Terengganu & Redang enjoys decent weather in May with ample sunshine and dry days. Water activities like snorkeling and diving are the most sought out activities in May. Relax and soak in the sun with lingering dips in the water pools, amongst the white sand beaches .
The West Coast of Malaysia that includes the islands of Penang, Langkawi and Pangkor experience the first hits of the South-East monsoon winds in May. It brings with it a scurry in the humidity and some hefty showers of rain. The sea conditions are not ideal in the month of May. Pangkor is the more preferable visit on the West coast during this time as the island is comparatively drier and easier to travel to.
The lowlands and the highlands of Malacca and Kuala Lumpur get ample heat in May and are drier with short tropical spurges of afternoon rainfall. Cameron Highlands gets much colder due to the altitude difference from the mainland.
The average temperature in Malaysia is May is between 23 to 33 degrees Celsius.
The West Coast of Malaysia has an average temperature of 33 degrees Celsius in May with Malacca and Kuala Lumpur having an approximate 29 degree Celsius and the Cameron Highlands, an average of 20 degree Celsius.
The East coast of Malaysia has an average temperature of 30 degrees Celsius in May
Is May a Good Time to Visit Malaysia? Visiting Malaysia in May may be one of the best holiday decisions that you will ever make. The weather all over the country is extremely pleasant with an era of sunshine and the occasional rainfall to compliment the tropical weather. The season of spring is in full vigor as you travel to the most sought out tourist destinations and diving regions of the country.
Places to Visit in Malaysia in May
1. Cameron Highlands Cameron Highlands, with its magnanimous green highlands, is a tourist favourite destination for hiking and trekking. The country’s largest hill station with its enormous tea cultivation padlocks will leave you gaping and wanting for more of the peaceful getaway. You can also visit the various temples while you’re here. This hill station is about 200 kms from the city of Kuala Lumpur.
2. Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur is a must-visit tourist destination – not just in May but all year round. The city has pleasant climate with occasional tropical showers, sophisticated and fast lifestyle and a lot of popular places to visit both of historical and cultural importance. Experience the nightlife of modern Malaysia at its fullest as Kuala Lumpur remains an unbeatable vacation spot for all ages. Some other trendy and popular places that you must go to are the Petronas Twin Towers, Sunway Lagoon Theme Park, Aquaria KLCC, Kuala Lumpur City Centre and Royal Selangor Visitor Centre. Explore the city of dreams and shopping.
3. MalaccaMalacca, a UNESCO world heritage site, is another cultural tourist centre that you must visit on your trip to Malaysia in May. Experience the hub of shopping like you have never before. Very few things are as memorable as the stroll by the Malacca river! Jonker walk street attracts tourists from all over the country whilst hosting some of the best artsy stalls and boutiques that you should definitely pick your souvenirs from.
4. Perhentian IslandsPerhentian Islands on the East Coast of Malaysia is one of the most visited white sand destinations in May. The two major islands of Pulau Perhentian Kesin and Pulau Perhentian Besar attract travellers from all over the country. The pleasant climate is a boon to bask in amidst the fine sand beaches and crystal water. Snorkeling and diving activities gain a lot of attraction with the peak tourist season in action. Watch out for the enchanting sunsets at the beach.
5. Tioman IslandThis 8 village island is also a natural reserve. Kampung Tekek, one of the most visited villages, demands to be visited in the season of May. Relish in the pleasant sunshine , have a long swim and detox for a couple of days as you roam and explore this mesmerizing destination. Snorkeling and diving are some of in-season activities that you can get yourself into while holiday-ing.
Holidays & Festivals in Malaysia in May
1. Labour DayLabour Day is an international holiday that is celebrated in Malaysia to pay respect to the people who work for us, providing their labour every other day of the year .
Date: 1 May each year
2. Harvest Festival or Pesta Ka'amatan
Pesta Ka'amatan is a public holiday to celebrate the annual harvesting season in Malaysia. Families and farmers take the opportunity to say their prayers and pay respect to the season’s harvest (especially for the bountiful rice cultivation ). The Magavau ceremony is observed, wherein they celebrate the presence of the Rice Spirit. This is held in the paddy stretches on the first full moon after the harvest. This is most popular in the states of Sabah and Labuan.
Date: 30-31st May 2021Don't forget to keep a check on the weather forecast while planning a trip to Malaysia in May. Let us know in the comments if you have other suggestions on places to visit in Malaysia during the month of May.