Nightlife in Hong Kong are as busy and lively as the day, if not more. From crowded night markets to frenzied bars and casinos, the city truly comes alive in the guise of the dark. The nightlife offers something for everyone – be it a peaceful, quiet time or a pretty crazy one. The city is lit up by the luminous brilliance of the skyscrapers as the evening sets in, and the doors to the nocturnal world are opened up as pubs and bars come alive with good beers and wild music.
Nightlife Hubs in Hong Kong
In Hong Kong, there are three major nightlife hubs - Lan Kwai Fong, SoHo and Wan Chai. Lan Kwai Fong is a small square in Hong Kong lined with hundreds of bars, pubs and clubs and frequently visited by tourists for clubbing, drinking and eating. SoHo, which is neighbouring to Lan Kwai Fong is a more sophisticated area lined with fine- dining restaurants, posh bars and some high- end retail shops. Wan Chai is cheaper compared to the other two. It is filled with colonial-style pubs, sports bars and music venues. It is also known for housing Hong Kong's Red light district. To have a gala nightlife in Hong Kong, you got to know the right place, right? Here are the top 10 nightclubs in Hong Kong –
1. VolarSince its inception in 2004, Volar has hosted prominent artists like Diplo, Cashmere Cat and Soulja boy. It has a maze-like infrastructure with two rooms which deliver various variety of music genres, and a state of the art sound system. It has consistently remained one of the most popular and sought after clubs in Hong Kong ever since its inception.
Timings: (closed on Sundays)
Tuesday to Friday - 7:00 PM to 5:00 AM
Saturday - 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM
Address: Ho Lee Commercial Building, Basement 38, 44 D'Aguilar St, Central
Contact: +852 2810 1510
2. DropAlso called "Hong Kong's home of house", ever since this club opened its doors in the year 2000, their popularity has been ever-growing. Drop is one of the options for a groovy nightlife in Hong Kong as it has one large dance floor and one centralised bar counter. This club is the perfect place for a night out with your friends!
Tuesday - 7:00 PM to 3:00 AM
Wednesday, Thursday - 7:00 PM to 4:00 AM
Friday, Saturday - 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM
Sunday - 9:00 PM to 12:00 AM
Address: On Lok House Hollywood Road, Central, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Contact: +852 2543 8856
3. Tazmania Ball RoomTazmania Ball Room is not just any meagre nightclub; it is a lounge, club and pool house all rolled under one roof. It's decadence and facilities attract hundreds of people every week. Apart from happy hours, there are events happening at the club throughout the week. From Ping Pong Tuesdays to R&B Wednesdays, his club is a live celebration even on weekdays.
Monday to Sunday (except public holidays) - 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM (Happy Hour)
Sunday to Thursday - 5:00 PM to 3:00 AM (Club Hours)
Friday to Saturday - 5:00 PM till Late (Club Hours)
Address: 1/F LKF Tower 33 Wyndham Street, Central
Contact: +852 2801 5009
4. PLAYPLAY is one of the biggest magnets for those seeking some exhilarating nightlife in Hong Kong as it has one of the largest dance floors in all of Hong Kong. Situated in the heart of SoHo, Hong Kong, this nightclub also has its own Champagne lounge. This upscale nightclub has hosted famous DJs such as Afrojack and Skrillex.
Timings: Thursday to Saturday - 10:30 PM to 5 AM
Address: On Hing Building, 1 On Hing Terrace, Central, Hong Kong Island
Contact: +852 6828 8936
5. Dragon-iDragon-i is a chain which has its own restaurant as well as a nightclub. It has been the most exclusive nightclub in Hong Kong since 1967. It is rather expensive to get entry into the club. This much talked about and allured night club is where the celebrities, CEOs and the upscale crowd of Hong Kong like to party. Celebrities such as Bruno Mars, Chris Hemsworth, Dave Franco, David Beckham and many others have been spotted here. Although quite expensive, the club has many thrilling experiences to offer.
Monday, Wednesday - 12:00PM to 3:30 PM
Saturday, Sunday - 6:00 PM to 4:00 AM (closed on Tuesdays)
Address: The Centrium, 60 Wyndham St, Central
Contact: +852 3110 1222
6. VaultAs the name suggests, the architecture of the nightclub is designed in the shape of a vault or a chamber. Guarded inside these Chambers, Vault is a blissful celebration of the much-loved nightlife in Hong Kong , making your experience in the city all the more memorable.
Timings: (closed on Sunday)
Monday to Wednesday - 7:00 PM to 3:00 AM
Thursday to Saturday - 7:00 PM to 4:00 AM
Address: 2/F, Unit E,Ho Lee Commercial Building, 38-44 D'Aguilar Street, Lan Kwai Fong,Central
Contact: +825 2539 6503
7. InsomniaA low-key and casual bar, quite akin to its name, the bar is never closed. Throughout the week, 24x7, whenever you feel like a relaxed, laid-back drink, you can visit Insomnia. Even when there are events, the club barely ever creates any issues with reservations and dress codes.
Timings: Monday to Sunday - Open 24 hours
Address: Lan Kwai Fong, 30-32 D'Aguilar St.
Contact: +825 2525 0957
8. Rula BulaRula Bula has been renamed to Rula Live since September 2019. The Irish Bar has relaunched itself with the vision of becoming a paramount sports lounge with comedy shows and live music.
Monday to Wednesday - 4:00 PM to 2:00 AM
Thursday - 4:00 PM to 3:00 AM
Friday - 4:00 PM to 5:00 AM
Saturday - 6:00 PM to 5:00 AM
Sunday - 6:00 PM to 1:00 AM
Address: G/F, Grand Progress Building, 58-62 D'Aguilar Street,Lan Kwai Fong, Central, Hong Kong
Contact: +852 6031 2116
9. Levels ClubTo bring the European nightclub culture to Bangkok, Levels Club is one such luxurious ways to spend your nightlife in Hong Kong as it offers a lavish clubbing experience with its three separate dance areas. The club provides a luxury table service, resident DJs as well as star guest DJs and they also organise themed events. It has a dress code which does not allow casual attire such as flip flops, sandals, hoodies, vests, baseball caps and sportswear. The Club also has two bars and other activities such as beer pong and live sports.
Timings: Monday to Saturday - 6:00 PM to 5:00 AM
Address: 2/F on Hing Building, 1 On Hing Terrace, Central
Contact: +825 2811 1568
10. Oma ClubLocated closer to Central, Oma is an underground club where one can enjoy techno, house and underground music. This underground club has become a holy nightclub institution in Hong Kong and has long established its name. It has a great sound system, a big enough space for large crowds and also supports local DJs.
Monday to Wednesday - 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM
Friday to Saturday - 9:00 PM to 7:00 AM
Address: LB/F, Harilela House, 79 Wyndham Street, Central, Hong Kong Island
Contact: +852 2521 8815
11. Joe BananasThis pub is usually crowded with its steady number of regular customers. With one of the most reasonably priced bar menus and live rock bands, this club is one of the most chill places to hang out with your friends to make the best memories of your nightlife in Hong Kong.
Monday to Thursday - 12:00 PM to 4:00 AM
Friday to Sunday - 12:00 PM to 5:00 AM
Address: The Phoenix Building, 23 Luard Road, Wan Chai
Contact: +852 2537 4618
12. The PawnA colonial building reinstated into a nightclub; the Pawn is a club and a restaurant. The place's architecture houses a terrace as well, which is a gastropub. You can even spot a few trams along the famous Johnston Road from here. Wan Chai is known for its affordable bars and clubs, but The Pawn is one of the upscale and classier places in all of Wan Chai.
Monday to Thursday - 12 PM to 1:00 AM
Friday to Saturday - 12 PM to 2:00 AM
Sunday - 11:30am to 1:00 AM
Address: 62, Johnston Road, Wan Chai
Contact: +852 2866 3444
13. Carnegie'sIt's one of the more relaxed and laid back places where you wouldn't have to worry about cover charges and dress codes. This laid-back pub has a weekday happy hour from 6 PM to 7 PM and is usually crowded with office-goers on weekdays. This pub also boasts of the most extended shot menu in all of Hong Kong with 366 different items!
Timings: Monday to Sunday - 3 PM to 5 AM
Address: G/F, 53-55 Lockhart Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Contact: +852 2866 6289
14. Dusk till DawnOne of the oldest bars in Wan Chai, this is a live music bar and has a resident band which plays groovy pop and rock covers. Besides nailing the nightlife in Hong Kong, Dusk till Dawn is also the best-known spot for bachelorette and bachelor parties. You can always rely on this pub to be open whenever you want a drink. It is best to go here with a group of friends if you are new to the city.
Monday to Friday - 12:00 PM to 6:00 AM
Saturday - 3:00 PM to 6:00 AM
Sunday - 3:00 PM to 5:30 AM
Address: 76 Jaffe Road, Wan Chai
Contact: +852 2528 4689
15. Queen VictoriaAs the name of the pub gives away, it's one of the oldest British joints in Hong Kong. With its giveaway bar prices, the pub is almost always crowded with its regulars. The pub has a Quiz Night on Mondays, while weekends are solely dedicated to Football followed by some pop and rock music. This place has one of the most fun and laid back ambience in all of downtown Hong Kong.
Monday to Thursday - 9:00 AM to 4:00 AM
Saturday to Sunday - 9:00 AM to 6:00 AM
Address: Lily Mansion, 108 Lockhart Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Contact: +852 2529 7800
16. Zentral ClubOne of the high – end clubs in Hong Kong, Zentral satisfies its customers by bringing in big names from the music industry. Although most people are allowed inside the club, only exclusive members of the club are allowed on specific days or specific events.
Location - 4-5/F, California Tower, 32 D’Aguilar Street, Central
Sunday to Wednesday - 09:00 PM – 05:00 AM
Thursday to Saturday - 10:00 PM – 05:00 AM
17. Bungalow Club
With its two bars, dance floors, private seating areas and the main DJ booth, this place is rightly named the Bungalow. Usually frequented by locals, models and youngsters, the club hosts both sponsored and other events.
Location - Shop 2, G/F, The Centrium, 60 Wyndham Street, Central
Timings - 11:00 PM – 05:00 AM (Monday–Saturday)
18. XXX Gallery XXX
Gallery offers a unique and different nightlife in Hong Kong. Located in a basement, the club hosts local bands and DJ's and also conducts film screenings, making it an intellectual yet wild destination for music and art lovers. Furthermore, it's a "bring your own booze" (BYOB) club.
Location – 2A, Kin Luen Factory Building, 89-91 Larch St., Tai Kok Tsui, Kowloon
Timings - 11:30 PM – 02:00 AM (Daily)
19. Club 71
Another one of Hong Kong's unique club experiences, Club 71 is often frequented by Hong Kong's famous activists, writers, musicians and academics. The club gives off a very casual vibe with the drinks priced at an affordable rate.
Location - Basement, 67 Hollywood Road, SoHo, Central
Timings -05:00 PM to 01:00 AM (Monday–Saturday)
Night MarketsThe Hong Kong night markets have a rich trajectory deep-rooted in its historical past and unique traditions. Hong Kong became a major trading centre with the dominance of British trade in Asia. This led to a large number of markets springing up in Hong Kong with its diverse variety of goods. Hong Kong's sultry day time weather led to the locals venturing out to shop after sunset. This is how the classic Hong Kong night markets came to be selling its diverse range of goods after sunset. Over the years, a few traditional night markets have survived, and you should definitely visit them to complete your nightlife in Hong Kong.
20. Temple Street Night Market
The temple street night market is the last remaining authentic night market of Hong Kong. It was traditionally called the 'Poor Man's Night Club' and has now become one of the legendary markets of Hong Kong. This street market is a display of the entirety of Hong Kong culture from its food to it's street Opera and affordable counterfeit goods. It is here that you can find numerous shops selling the traditional street food of Hong Kong called Dai Pai Dongs. The market also has several fortune-tellers who are locally known to be affiliated with the temple. This market will give you an overall Hong Kong experience with its great street food, antique goods and branded clothes, and you can even try your hand at divination here.
Timings: Monday to Sunday - 2 PM to 11 PM
Address: Temple Street, Jordan
21. Jade Hawker Market As the name 'Jade' suggests, this market is primarily for affordable gemstones, jewellery and accessories. Among locals, it is popularly called 'Yau Ma Tei Jade Hawker Bazaar', named after the street where the market lies. This indoor market can be divided into two zones, with both zones being lined up with small shops and stalls.
Timings: Monday to Sunday - 10:00 AM to 6:30 PM
Address: Canton Rd, Yau Ma Tei
22. Ladies' MarketStretching over one whole kilometre on Tung Choi Street, ladies' market is famous for its wide variety of popular and up and coming clothing fashion. Apart from its multitude of clothing stalls where you can spot the latest trend, the market also has stalls for bags, shoes, cosmetics and even home furniture. The narrow aisles of the street tend to get very crowded on weekends. It is best to first just walk around the entire market and get a hang of the collections and prices offered. This will let you bargain and negotiate at the best possible price for the things you really liked.
When you eventually get tired after shopping and haggling, you can eat at the local cuisine restaurants. You can try Satay King if you are in the mood for Satay style Indonesian food, or Our Restaurant if you are in the mood for some hummus, Shawarma or anything Middle Eastern, and if nothing else you can always rely on good old Asian noodle stalls. From a good and exciting shopping experience to try out new flavours, Ladies' Market has it all in store for you.
Timings: Monday to Sunday - 11:00 AM to 11:30 PM
Address: Tung Choi St, Mong Kok
Hong Kong is a city which never sleeps, and it throbs with life 24x7. When the sun goes down, it comes alive with new energy and is the perfect destination for the night owls or the party enthusiasts or the gambling experts. A walk along the populated night markets, party with the crowd at posh nightclubs, a romantic night in a ferry at the midst of the ocean – nightlife in Hong Kong provides it all!