Here are a few recommendations for the best places in Kathmandu to get you all geared up.
1. Purple Haze Rock BarFan of Rock Music and can’t get enough of Metallica madness, then you shouldn’t miss this bar at Thamel! People visit this place for great music and, of course, the drinks. Grab a beer and some nibbles to get you through hard rock music. Many Nepali bands also perform here so that you can headbang in an open space or on a balcony.
Timings: Closes by 12:00 AM
Highlights: Hookah serving and prior reservations for large groups
2. Club OMGGood news to you, Ladies! The club charges no entry fees for ladies, while gents have to pay around 500 bucks. It is one of the best clubs in Kathmandu and a safe option for foreigners. You don’t have any walking to do as it's right below Purple Haze Rock Bar. Ladies, you can let your hair down here after a long day, and the best part is that the security staff prioritizes women's safety. Given a large dance floor and a fantastic DJ, this club is no short of a party paradise, especially on the weekends.
Timings: 7:00 PM - 2:00 AM
Highlights: Ladies free entry and special events on weekends
3. Sam’s BarIt is considered as the oldest hotels in Kathmandu, which is also a great bar reviewed by the tourists. Located on Chaksibari Marg, this cozy bar serving only alcohol is filled with crowds at any time and exudes a relaxed vibe altogether. If you are a solo traveler and up for socializing, head to Sam’s, as here you can chat with fellow travelers.
Timings - Closes by 12:00 AM
Highlights: Funky weekend events such as a reggae performance.
4. Jatra Cafe & BarIt is a quaint cafe with a rustic feel to it and named after the Nepali word Jatra, meaning cultural parade. It serves Newari cuisines and Casual food, which is a favorite frequently visited by tourists. Some of the reasonably priced dishes are Chholea (meat marinated in mustard, sun-dried chilies, and local spices), Buff & Egg Bara, and Phosko(fried meat with a special batter). You can also relish Set meals, which are thali (steamed rice, lentils, vegetables, meat/chicken, papad, pickle, and curd) type dishes. Jatra has existed for more than 12 years now and is still one of the gems of Thamel.
Timings - 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Highlights: Live Music and Free Drinks on certain days.
5. Yeti Tap and Beer GardenIf you are a beer person who loves crafted beer and won’t take a no for an answer, then Yeti Tap is apt for you. Located at the center of Thamel at Narshing Chowk, the beers here can be enjoyed with munchies like burgers, pizza, or even the classic fires, for that matter.
Highlights: Availability of over 60 crafted beers.
6. Himalayan JavaOriginating in Thamel, Himalayan Java started the coffee culture in Nepal and now has multiple chains in the country and internationally. Your Nepal tour is incomplete without sipping on hot coffee from the aromatic cafe outlets of Himalayan Java. You can choose to have a classic breakfast Panini sandwich or traditional eggs with a wide range of coffee varieties to choose from to start your day. Bakery items, along with cappuccino or espresso, is another combination you should not miss.
Highlights: Wooden decor and great music. It is the perfect spot for a coffee date or an official meeting.
8. Casino in KathmanduThe Capital, along with beautiful places, also have multiple Casinos that are open 24 hours. Try gambling at Shangri-La in an ambiance of cozy gaming rooms or invitation-only VIP rooms, along with free-flowing drinks, gourmet food, and good music. To experience royal treatment and try out a few other games, make sure to visit Casino Royale, located at Lal Durbar. Other Casinos worth visiting here are Casino Anna, where visitors frequent Casino Radisson, and Casino Tara at Hyatt Regency in Kathmandu.
9. NexUs Night MarketHeld every last Friday of the month, the market has live music, food stalls, and handcrafted items all set up in the garden of NexUs.
- October and November are the best months to visit Kathmandu, Nepal, as the monsoon has already passed, giving way to clear skies.
- Doing some more research on vegetarians is recommended.
- It is advised not to visit unknown places late in the evening or night for safety purposes. Overall, the city is a safe place for tourists from around the world.
- Travel insurance is required in case of theft or an injury.