1. What has been the most interesting place that you have visited in 2019?Well, I don’t know about the most interesting place because each place is unique in its own way. However, I do know that one of my favorite places to visit in 2019 was Kazakhstan, because this was my first interaction with the most gorgeous and clear lakes till now.
Earlier, I thought that Kazakhstan is just another country with barren land and won’t have anything remotely interesting but I was so wrong. This country is full of beautiful and unique landscapes and has a lot to offer. From visiting Charyn Canyon to camping beside Kolsai Lakes and hitchhiking for more than 1000 km in a single go, my trip to Kazakhstan was nothing short of an adventurous journey and I loved every second that I spent here.
2. Do you prefer to travel solo or in a group?
I don’t prefer to travel in either groups or solo, for that matter. Usually, I like to travel with a friend or two but if no one is ready then I go for a solo trip without a second thought.View this post on Instagram
3. What factors did you check before deciding to visit Kyrgyzstan? How was that trip like?
Well, the first thing that we checked was how to reach Kyrgyzstan from Kazakhstan and how much would it cost. Then, we read a few blogs about the average cost for a trip here followed by information on how to get the visa and what was the probability of getting e-visa for Kyrgyzstan. That was basically it.View this post on Instagram
And honestly, it was a good decision because Kyrgyzstan was an amazing and unique experience. Staying in yurts, hiking on the mountains, camping on the treks, it was all so surreal. People were extremely kind and helpful here and the landscapes were breathtaking. I really miss this country and wish to visit again here soon!
4. What's your travel mantra? What are some travel trends do you give into?My travel mantra is to travel and experience a destination locally. I do this by mostly indulging in local cuisine, using local transportation and staying in hostels or homestays. If you don’t experience a place locally then what is even the point of traveling so far, right?
Well, a few travel trends that I tend to follow a lot is solo traveling wherever I get the chance and experiencing as much of the local culture and dishes as I can. Apart from that, in the past 1 year, I have also started following sustainable travel where I try to reduce my carbon footprint while traveling. This is mostly done by avoiding packaged foods, reducing the number of flights taken while traveling, carrying my own water bottle, and so on. And trust me, it feels amazing when you travel but know that you are not harming nature in the process too.
5. Why was travelling to Vietnam special to you?
Vietnam trip was really special to me because I had been dreaming about going to Vietnam for a long time. And because it was a solo trip too. Honestly, what I had imagined about Vietnam from the history books and Instagram pictures, it turned out so much better than that. People were super sweet and friendly here and made you feel right at home and who doesn’t like to experience that?View this post on Instagram
6. What are your travel plans for 2020?For 2020, I will mostly be traveling in India as I am trying to complete a few adventure courses and saving up for a big Euro trip in 2021. However, I will still be covering a couple of countries this year like Nepal, Singapore, Philippines, and Sri Lanka. Most of my trips this year are planned with my best friend too and we are planning to go to offbeat places in Sringagar, Ladakh, and North East India.
7. Have you always had the adventurous gene in you? Tell us the most adventurous activity you have indulged in?
Frankly, no. I don’t know if I am adventurous in terms of trying out all the activities because I do make a list of pros and cons before every adventure. But yes, I have always been into trying out adventure sports like Scuba Diving, Paragliding, Sky Diving, and so on. I am scared of standing on edges so trekking always gives me nightmares but I am a big believer of overcoming your fears. So, while I am terrified of climbing mountains, I still end up doing it every once in a while.View this post on Instagram
Well, the most adventurous thing which I have done till now would be to camp with my best friend in the middle of nowhere while on the Song Kol trek in Kyrgyzstan. That was definitely not the wisest thing I ever had done because at night, a wild animal was scratching at our tent and we were scared shitless. Honestly, that was the longest night of my life but yes, now that’s a lesson learned and a story to tell.
8. What tips would you give to a woman who wishes to start travelling?As a female traveller, it is not as easy to travel around as some people would make you believe. We have our own set of challenges which most other people don’t understand. That being said, it is not difficult and you should definitely try to travel as much as you can. Just make sure that you stay safe and vigilant and avoid travelling to extremely shady areas alone.
Keep something at hand to keep yourself protected and keep your family and friends updated of your whereabouts. And most importantly, research properly about a place before visiting. Trust me, most of the things become easy to manage if you have proper intel at hand.
9. Would you like to re-visit Seychelles? If so, Why?
Yes! A thousand times yes. Seychelles was different and will always remain one of my favorite places. This is because I am a beach person and Seychelles has the most beautiful beaches ever. But it also has many natural hills and forest areas which makes this a place the best of both worlds.View this post on Instagram
And there are more than 100 islands to cover! Can you even imagine being able to spend time on a secluded beach all by yourself while being surrounded by a picturesque landscape? Also, it is extremely safe for women as well. But mostly, because I actually travelled with a lot of solo travellers here and made some lifelong friends. Plus, Seychelles has the most gorgeous sunsets too! What more could a beach sunset lover like me want?
Follow Rachita Saxena's Instagram Handle here.