Why is Mauritius an Ideal Spot for Kitesurfing?
• The Mauritian waters have perfect waves as well as flat waters so it is an ideal kitesurfing spot for both beginners as well as advanced kite surfers.• The island is extremely captivating with breathtaking beauty and gorgeous turquoise waters.• Mauritius is a very safe island and is perfect for all kinds of travellers, be it solo or with family.
When to go Kitesurfing in MauritiusJune to September have the best winds and are perfectly suitable for a fantastic kitesurfing experience in Mauritius. The months of April, May, September and October are also good enough, but sometimes the wind conditions are not suitable for kitesurfing during these months. So it is best that you plan your trip between June to September if your primary purpose is kitesurfing in Mauritius.
Best Kitesurfing Spots in Mauritius
- Kitesurfing spots in North Mauritius
All three spots have perfectly flat water, which is mainly recommended for experienced surfers only. Although the Northern winds are less consistent than the southern winds even then these spots are perfect for kitesurfing. It is recommended that you avoid these lagoons during low tides because the lagoons become too shallow and the rocks begin to surface out, which might lead to injuries during launching and landing, due to lack of space.
Further along the Northern coast, there are a few more kitesurfing spots like Trou Aux Biches and Bain Boeuf. These spots are ideal for kitesurfing only on days when the North West or South West winds are favourable. Sometimes these lagoons offer amazing waves for experienced surfers.
- Kitesurfing spots in Southern Mauritius
Other than Le Morne, further down the east, there are two more kitesurfing spots, namely Bel Ombre and Pointe d’Esny. Bel Ombre has plenty of space available for kitesurfing for all levels of surfers. The diverse waves, from small to large, allows surfers to surf freely.
The shore may be a bit rough near the coast, making launching a difficult task, but as you move away from the shore, the wind is relatively stable and ideal for kitesurfing. Pointe d'Esny is also known as Mauritius’ Paradise Beach. This beautiful stretch of white sand is like a secret kite spot and is pretty hard to find. But once you get there, Pointe d’Esny can prove to be one of the best kitesurfing spots in Mauritius.
- Kitesurfing spots in Eastern Mauritius
Palmar in Eastern Mauritius is located just a few kilometres away from the cost from Trou d'Eau Douce. This long stretch of the lagoon with flat water not very deep but stable makes it an excellent kitesurfing spot. Palmar beach is quite extensive, so launching or landing shouldn't be an issue anywhere. This spot is suitable for all levels of surfers. Belle Mare is another surfing spot in Eastern Mauritius and is just a few kilometres up north of Palmar. If you are a novice and are keen on practising kitesurfing, you can head to Poste Lafayette. Its wide beach area is apt for launching and landing.
- Kitesurfing spots in Western Mauritius
Top Schools for Learning to Kitesurf in Mauritius
1. Air Switch Kitesurfing Mauritius
2. Le Morne Kite School:Location: Air Switch Company LtdPik Pik Surf Village,Le Morne, ILe MauriceContact: +230 575 6262, [email protected]Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:30PM
3. ION Kitesurfing School:Location: Le Morne, MauritiusContact: +230 5731 9767Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:00PM
4. Kitesurf School North Bay:Location: ION CLUB Anse La Raie, Mauritius, RIVIERE DU REMPART 31701, MauritiusContact: +230 5972 9568Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:00PM
5. Hang Loose Tours Kite School:Location: Anse la Raie, MauritiusContact: +230 5491 4040
6. Kite At North Kitesurfing Lodge And School:Location: Le Morne, Kite Lagoon, La Gaulette, MauritiusContact: +230 5933 5780Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:0PM
7. Specialised Kiteboarding:Location: Nelson Road, Grand Gaube, MauritiusContact: +230 5499 374Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:30PM
8. Son of Kite Ltd:Location: Coastal Rd, Pointe d'Esny, MauritiusContact: +230 5252 0055Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:30PM
9. Yoaneye Kitesurfing:Location: Royal Road, La Gaulette La Galette, 91102, MauritiusContact: +230 451 6155Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:30PM
10. Pryde Club Mauritius:Location: Le Morne Beach, MauritiusContact: +230 5737 8296,Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00 AM-5:00 PM
11. Kiteschool Morne Village:Location: Le Morne kite lagoon, La Gaulette, MauritiusContact: +230 5989 1060Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:30PM
Location: Av. Anthuriums, Le Morne village 91203, MauritiusContact: +230 5740 1025Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:00PM
Safety Tips to Keep in Mind while Kitesurfing in Mauritius
Kitesurfing is an enthralling sport that one should try at least once in their lifetime. Mauritius is the best place where you can get the best kitesurfing experience. So if you are someone who likes to try extreme water sports and enjoys the adrenaline rush, then Mauritius is just the place for you. The memories you will make here are surely going to last for a lifetime. So why wait? Book your tickets right away!1. Always try to go kitesurfing with a group of people. You never know when you might encounter an unforeseen event. If you are travelling solo, try to connect with people on the beach who are willing to go for kitesurfing.2. For beginners, it is very important to learn the basics of kitesurfing from a school kitesurfing school. The top schools have been mentioned above so you can choose wisely.3. Know the spots you are planning to go to for kitesurfing in Mauritius. Ask the locals about the probable weather conditions during the time you plan to kitesurf, what to avoid in that region and all other necessary information.4. Invest in proper surfing equipment according to your level. Research well about the equipment and then buy wisely.5. If you are planning to buy a second-hand gear, make sure it is in good using condition and in good shape. For safety, never buy equipment older than four years, even if you get it at a very cheap rate online.6. If you are a beginner, then it is highly recommended that you book a rescue service beforehand, in case of sudden violent winds.7. Always try to avoid spots with offshore winds. Even for advanced surfers, offshore winds are extremely dangerous, so it is best if you choose onshore wind spots.8. Learn self-rescue techniques well. You cannot really rely on other surfers to risk their lives and save you underwater. So learning self-rescue techniques is a must.9. If something happens in water, do not freak out. Although it is hard to stay calm in such situations, but it is important to do so. This is where self-rescue techniques come in handy.10. Starting and landing are the two most accident-prone steps in kitesurfing. For launching your kite, try to choose an area where there are no trees or other forms of obstructions.11. Never try to rescue someone all by yourself. This will put both your lives at risk. Try to gather more kitesurfers and then rescue that person.12. Although you will be taught about this in your kitesurfing school, but never take the rules for granted. Know all the rules and when to apply which rule in kitesurfing.13. Keep checking all your instruments from time to time. Cracks in your kite might prove to be quite dangerous.14. Wearing helmets and impact jackets while kitesurfing is a must.15. While kitesurfing, if your lines start tangling with another kitesurfer and you feel that you are being pulled towards each other, immediately use the chicken loop release to get out of this situation.16. If your fingers start tangling in your kite lines, then take them out as soon as possible because if your kite starts gaining power, then the end result might be very dangerous.17. Last but not the least; you should be fit, if you decide to go kitesurfing, because this sport requires a lot of strength.