Why is Mauritius an Ideal Spot for Kitesurfing?
When to go Kitesurfing in MauritiusJune to September have the best winds and are perfectly suitable for a fantastic kitesurfing experience in Mauritius. The months of April, May, September and October are also good enough, but sometimes the wind conditions are not suitable for kitesurfing during these months. So it is best that you plan your trip between June to September if your primary purpose is kitesurfing in Mauritius.
Best Kitesurfing Spots in Mauritius
- Kitesurfing spots in North Mauritius
All three spots have perfectly flat water, which is mainly recommended for experienced surfers only. Although the Northern winds are less consistent than the southern winds even then these spots are perfect for kitesurfing. It is recommended that you avoid these lagoons during low tides because the lagoons become too shallow and the rocks begin to surface out, which might lead to injuries during launching and landing, due to lack of space.
Further along the Northern coast, there are a few more kitesurfing spots like Trou Aux Biches and Bain Boeuf. These spots are ideal for kitesurfing only on days when the North West or South West winds are favourable. Sometimes these lagoons offer amazing waves for experienced surfers.
- Kitesurfing spots in Southern Mauritius
Other than Le Morne, further down the east, there are two more kitesurfing spots, namely Bel Ombre and Pointe d’Esny. Bel Ombre has plenty of space available for kitesurfing for all levels of surfers. The diverse waves, from small to large, allows surfers to surf freely.
The shore may be a bit rough near the coast, making launching a difficult task, but as you move away from the shore, the wind is relatively stable and ideal for kitesurfing. Pointe d'Esny is also known as Mauritius’ Paradise Beach. This beautiful stretch of white sand is like a secret kite spot and is pretty hard to find. But once you get there, Pointe d’Esny can prove to be one of the best kitesurfing spots in Mauritius.
- Kitesurfing spots in Eastern Mauritius
Palmar in Eastern Mauritius is located just a few kilometres away from the cost from Trou d'Eau Douce. This long stretch of the lagoon with flat water not very deep but stable makes it an excellent kitesurfing spot. Palmar beach is quite extensive, so launching or landing shouldn't be an issue anywhere. This spot is suitable for all levels of surfers. Belle Mare is another surfing spot in Eastern Mauritius and is just a few kilometres up north of Palmar. If you are a novice and are keen on practising kitesurfing, you can head to Poste Lafayette. Its wide beach area is apt for launching and landing.
- Kitesurfing spots in Western Mauritius
Top Schools for Learning to Kitesurf in Mauritius
1. Air Switch Kitesurfing Mauritius
2. Le Morne Kite School:Location: Air Switch Company LtdContact: +230 575 6262, [email protected]Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:30PM
3. ION Kitesurfing School:Location: Le Morne, MauritiusContact: +230 5731 9767Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:00PM
4. Kitesurf School North Bay:Location: ION CLUB Anse La Raie, Mauritius, RIVIERE DU REMPART 31701, MauritiusContact: +230 5972 9568Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:00PM
5. Hang Loose Tours Kite School:Location: Anse la Raie, MauritiusContact: +230 5491 4040
6. Kite At North Kitesurfing Lodge And School:Location: Le Morne, Kite Lagoon, La Gaulette, MauritiusContact: +230 5933 5780Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:0PM
7. Specialised Kiteboarding:Location: Nelson Road, Grand Gaube, MauritiusContact: +230 5499 374Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:30PM
8. Son of Kite Ltd:Location: Coastal Rd, Pointe d'Esny, MauritiusContact: +230 5252 0055Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:30PM
9. Yoaneye Kitesurfing:Location: Royal Road, La Gaulette La Galette, 91102, MauritiusContact: +230 451 6155Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:30PM
10. Pryde Club Mauritius:Location: Le Morne Beach, MauritiusContact: +230 5737 8296,Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00 AM-5:00 PM
11. Kiteschool Morne Village:Location: Le Morne kite lagoon, La Gaulette, MauritiusContact: +230 5989 1060Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:30PM
Location: Av. Anthuriums, Le Morne village 91203, MauritiusContact: +230 5740 1025Timings: Saturday-Friday- 9:00AM-5:00PM