Which is Better - Mauritius or Seychelles?Mauritius composed of the Mauritius and Rodrigues island lies around 2000 kilometres east of the coast of mainland Southeast Africa. Seychelles, on the other hand, is an archipelago. The country consists of about 150 islands each with its own somewhat distinct identity and flavour. If one wants to experience different islands on their trip, they should thus visit Seychelles.
Although both the countries have somewhat similar features, each offers its own benefits. Many factors go into deciding which country is a better option such as the primary aim of the trip and the company one is going with.
1. Budget - Luxury or Economical Stay?One major factor kept in consideration while selecting a place is the expenses incurred to visit it. Price-wise, a flight to Seychelles is cheaper from most international airports. However, Mauritius offers a wide variety of often less expensive accommodation options in comparison to Seychelles.
2. Safety - Which Island is more Safe?Another essential aspect to keep in mind is the safety of the location. While both Mauritius and Seychelles are safe places in comparison to most places in the world since Seychelles receives a lower number of tourists and has a smaller population their crime rate is slightly lower than that of Mauritius. However, the beaches of Mauritius are considered safer for children and in general.
3. Weather - Unpredictable Weather or Pleasant all year round?Situated in the tropics, both the countries are blessed with gorgeous weather - warm balmy days and cool pleasant nights. Seychelles on an average has this kind of pleasant, beautiful weather throughout the year sparing some short brief spells of rains during the monsoon which aren't a deterrent.
Mauritius however, experiences mild, gentle cyclones and cyclonic weather in the period between November and April calling for some planning and checking the predicted forecast before finalising on the trip.
What a person likes and doesn't like is an essential factor in zeroing down on the location to be visited. These are some basic categories that one can use to aid in their selection of a destination.
4. Nature Lovers - Paradise of Nature Lovers or just a Beach Experience?With some of its beaches listed as the best beaches and diving sites, Seychelles is a delight for nature lovers. With excellent conservation programs and a diverse array of options eco-tourism options, Seychelles is the best bet for a nature lover.
Whether it is hiking up a lush jungle trail or swimming amidst schools of beautiful fish, one truly feels connected with nature. Although Mauritius isn't a commercialised concrete jungle, it isn't close to the kind of natural beauty Seychelles can offer travellers making Seychelles the better option for a nature lover.
5. Adventure and Entertainment - Sporty or not Sporty?If one wants to go kitesurfing or get amazing pictures as they speed away on a jet ski, Mauritius is the place to be. With almost every hotel offering a large list of activities ranging from various water sports to other activities, there is something for everyone to do kids and adults alike.
On the other hand, in Seychelles, all motorsport activities and many other water sports are banned to protect the environment from damage. Mauritius also has gold courses across the island for golf enthusiasts to enjoy. Mauritius is thus the better option for the adrenaline junkie or one who has entertainment in mind in comparison to Seychelles.
The company one is travelling with makes a huge difference in the kind of trip. While people who are travelling alone may select one option, a large group of friends may choose another one! Thus depending on who one is going to visit with, i.e. what kind of trip they are taking one can select between Mauritius and Seychelles.
6. Solo Travellers - Seclusion or Crowd?If one is travelling alone and is looking for some 'me-time' then going to Seychelles would be their best bet. Mauritius attracts approximately four times the amount of visitors to Seychelles. Seychelles, thus known for its unpopulated beaches, offers one much more privacy in comparison to Mauritius, hence making it a better option for a solo-traveller.
7. Family Vacations - Family Friendly or Couple Friendly?Being much more developed and built up, Mauritius is much more child and family-friendly in comparison to Seychelles. Offering an extensive list of activities and entertainment options, Mauritius is also incredibly safe making it a great location for a family vacation. It definitely offers something to cater to every interest!
8. Honeymoon - Postcard worthy Romantic GetawayBoth Mauritius and Seychelles offer an extremely romantic getaway for two love-birds with their picture-postcard worthy locales. Seychelles offers a couple much more intimacy and privacy in comparison to Mauritius.
The untouched beauty of the pristine beaches and lush jungles and mountains adds a wonderful natural charm making it a perfect place for a honeymoon spot. The last touches that add to the perfection are the beautiful sunsets over the beaches of Seychelles making it magical.
Although there is no denying that both countries are magnificent and are both incredibly great places to visit, one size doesn't always fit all. Thus, different options work better for different people making their trip to one place more enjoyable than another. Whether a person chooses Mauritius or Seychelles, there is one thing for certain, and they will come back rejuvenated with memories they'll cherish for a lifetime.