Goa is easily accessible by rail and air. Since flight tickets are not always cheap, and spontaneous Goa plans are the best, you should definitely consider exploring Goa by road once. If you're in Bangalore, it would be an adventure you'll forever remember. Each route will give you a different experience altogether. Goa is about 650 - 700 km from Bangalore depending upon the route you choose to take.
What Is The Best Time to Visit Goa? The best time to visit Goa is between November to February when the weather is perfect, not very cold, not very hot. It's also a good time as almost all the beach shacks are open during these months. At that time water sports, like banana boat ride, jet ski, and parasailing are also open to tourists. Christmas and New Year season is also full of festivity in Goa. Otherwise, Goa attracts tourists round the year.
There Are Two Ways to take a Road Trip to Goa
By Car/BikeThe routes which can be taken are:
Route 1: The Chitradurga Route
This is definitely the fastest route. In this route, you can make a pitstop to the beautiful ruins of the Chitradurga Fort. This fort lies in the valley of Vedavati River and the views of the gorge are no less than spectacular. Also, this is a ticketed monument and managed by the ASI.
Distance: 567 km
Duration: 11 hours 52 minutes excluding the pitstops
Route 2: The Karwar Route
This route allows you to explore more places and beautiful beaches along the western coastline. Gokarna is not very conventionally touristy. The beaches are meant for a slow, relaxed holiday and everything on the beach goes at the same relaxed pace. In Karwar, you can check out the Warship Museum and other beaches along the way.
Distance: 632 km
Duration: 13 hours excluding the pitstops
Route 3: The Hassan Route
While going to Hassan, you can catch a glimpse of Shravanabelagola which is an important pilgrimage site for Jainism. You can even take a detour to see the beautifully ornate temples of Belur and Halebidu.
Distance: 687 km
Duration: 13 hours 20 minutes excluding the pitstops
- Route 1 is the most preferred route in terms of minimising the duration of the journey.
- The roads till Hubli are well maintained. There might be potholes and broken roads while going to Gokarna
- Diversions see the roads meander into village areas which have narrow roads with potholes and speed bumps.
- Try avoiding such detours as you may encounter congested roads.
Eating Options on the Way
- There are a few breakfast places around Chitradurga.
- If you are stopping in Gokarna or Karwar, do try the local seafood delicacies.
- You can find good eateries in Tumkur and Hassan
- Please carry water and snacks with you in case you don't find good places to eat due to some diversion.
By BusThe Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) offers a bus service from all major Bus Stations of Bangalore to Panjim in Goa. The bus takes about 12-13 hours to cover that distance. There are some Private Bus operators also.
Shanta Travels - A/C Sleeper (2+1)
Timing: Departure- 7:00 PM, Arrival- 07:45 AMKanva Tours and Travels Private Limited - Multi-Axle A/C Semi Sleeper (2+2)
Duration: 12h 45m
Fare: INR 1549
Timing: Departure- 7:45 PM, Arrival- 09:10 AMKadamba Transport Corporation Limited - Volvo A/C Seater (2+2)
Duration: 13h 25m
Fare: INR 1149
Timing: Departure- 7:45 PM, Arrival- 08:15 AMBeaches, Sunsets and Crazy Nights! Goa is waiting to be explored. What are you waiting for? Start packing your bags already!
Duration: 12h 30m
Fare: INR 1000
Travel Tips To Keep In Mind
- Start your journey early from Bangalore in order to avoid traffic jams.
- Book in advance if planning to go during the weekends as the tickets may run out. There are usually long queues at ticket counters, so online booking is preferable.
- Carry a sunscreen, UV protected eyewear, scarfs and hats to protect yourself from sunburn.
- If you are planning to visit the churches, please carry some conservative clothing.