1. Tourists and natives alike agree that Bangkok, which is crowded and noisy throughout the day is quite peaceful during the early hours of the day and it is the best time to take a walk around the city.
2. Another reason for you to get out early in the morning is that the weather is quite pleasant and cool whereas otherwise, it gets quite hot.
Timings of Sunrise in BangkokSummer (March to June): Between 5:40 AM to 6:08 AM
Winters (November to February): Between 6:15 AM to 6:45 AM.
Note: As July to October is the monsoons in Bangkok, due to the cloudy dark sies, you may not get to see a clear sunrise.
Now that we covered the 'when', here's a list of places where you can witness the best sunrise in Bangkok.
1. Lumpini ParkIt is considered to be the best public park of Bangkok and provides several vantage points for you to witness the sunrise and also with soft Thai or western music playing in the park to enjoy the sunrise from. One can easily reach Lumpini Park using public transport which starts at 5 AM.
Location: This park is located in the Pathumwan District.
Timings: Daily 4:30 AM - 9:00 PM
2. Near Wat ArunAlso known as the Temple of Dawn, it is one of the best places to see the sunrise in Bangkok. The temple's silhouette has been captured by many photographers. One can also climb up to the top of one of these spires to enjoy a vintage look of the whole city. It is situated on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River and to enjoy the sunrise to the fullest, take a ferry ride to the other side of the river to Wat Pho and enjoy the view as the sun rises over the spires of this beautiful temple. The alternative will be to book a long tail boat, the price for which is negotiable according to how long you want to book it for. When the sunlight hits the pieces of porcelain covering the temple, the whole structure lights up in a soft glow of the sun.
Location: Sathorn Pier, Yan Nawa, Sathon, Bangkok
Timings: The earliest water boat starts at 5:50 AM in the morning.
Price: The orange flag river taxi costs 15 baht = INR 33 = 0.48 USD.
3. Grand PalaceThis is one of the most famous attractions of the city and the best time to visit it is at sunrise or sunset. One can easily reach here using waterway transport or a Tuk Tuk. This grand and extremely detailed palace is emphasized with the sun rising in the background, and all the gold ornamentation glimmers in the light. Keep your cameras ready because this view of the sunrise in Bangkok is something you'd want to capture.
Location: Starting from the Khan Sao Road, then walk past Democracy Monument, the view of the Grand Palace as it comes into view is magnificent.
4. Pak Khlong TalatThis is the biggest wholesale flower market in Bangkok. This market works around the clock and is said to be at its busiest before dawn, which is a sight to behold in itself. At dawn, all the flower shop owners come to the market to stock up their supply. After that see the sun rising over the horizon with fresh colourful flowers that smell divine. What an amazing way to start your day, right?
Location: Located on Chakphet Road and subsidiary streets.
Timings: Open 24 hours
5. Bang Khu Wiang Floating MarketThis floating market is probably the easiest and closest to reach from the main city of Bangkok, it is also less crowded than other floating markets in Bangkok. The experience of watching the sunrise here is made even more exquisite when you see monks coming to seek their alms. To reach there one can take a water taxi from Wat Chalo Pier which starts commuting from 5:00 AM, it will take you forty-five minutes from there. Alternatively, you can take a road taxi or a tuk-tuk ride.
Location: Khlong Bang Khu Wiang. Tambon Bang Rao Nok, Amphoe Bang Kruai
Timings: 4:00 AM – 7:00 AM
6. The Comfort of One’s Own Hotel
Many luxury hotels in Bangkok provide breakfast on the terrace so that their guests could enjoy the sunrise in Bangkok in the comfort of their own stays. If you do not want to get ready so early and travel across the city, some of the hotels also have east-facing rooms for you to enjoy the sunrise from the luxurious confines of your bed. All that one has to keep in mind while booking the hotel is to book a hotel near the Chao Phraya River.
Sunrise in Bangkok is one of the most beautiful parts of the day and if you are in the city, make sure that you wake up early enough to see it.