While India stands in 106th Position on the Global Peace Index (2020), we bring you a list of places in the world that are still marked safe on the map of world crime and criminals.
1. Iceland - For the Offbeat TravellerTopping the Global Peace Index in 2019 and maintaining its position for the past five consecutive years, Iceland is a beautiful, safe, and exploratory destination. It presents its tourists with some of the finest attractions and rare phenomenons like the Aurora Borealis, the Northern lights emitting green luminescence in the night sky. Bearing unparalleled attractions and charms, it also holds many activities, from hiking fjords to playing golf at midnight. And the best part being no time is a bad time to visit this spectacular snow-covered country.
2. New Zealand - The Land Where Adventures WaitIt's not surprising that New Zealand doesn't disappoint any travelers. Owning the second position on the list of the safest countries, the credit surely goes to the humble and hospitable population. New Zealand promises beautiful landscapes and even better beautiful coastlines that you can drive along, listening to the sound of the surf. The country is marked as one of the best destinations to undertake adventure sports. Its museums, art galleries, and other heritage attractions are no short of beauty as well.
3. Portugal - The Best of EuropeUpholding the third rank, Portugal is a country that has a lot to boast of! With a rich culture, eccentric cities, and exquisite countryside, it is among the best value destinations in Europe. One can witness multiple vistas while traveling across this breathtaking destination and see it changing as they travel from green mountains in the North to rocky cliffs and waterfalls in the Centre to the desert-like landscape in Alentejo and laid-back beaches in Algarve. Acing as a holiday in the sports arena, one can venture out into one of the best golf courses among fourteen, which are tagged as the best in Europe; surf enthusiasts should not miss out on surfing too.
4. Austria - The Land of Music and ArtsGone is the days when Austria was a hotspot of military encounters and wars. Having lived the dreaded ruthlessness of the world, Austria has turned into a friendly and welcoming destination from a hostile one. Thus it's crowned as the fourth safest on the peace index. The craze for music and art runs in the veins of Austria now. It has a lot to offer than just scenic beauty. It's a place to explore neoclassical architecture and popular cafes and live the thrill of life with sports like skiing. From the rustic backdrops to colorful mismatched houses, Austria is a place to relax, savor and appreciate the beauty after eons of struggle. Oh, and history aficionados, the country is a treat!
5. Denmark - The Scandinavian GemLet's call Denmark the Scandinavian gem. Giving you another reason to head to the country, Denmark is sincerely a safe city with exciting adventures awaiting you. Don't miss out on the Danish pastry, as it is synonymous with the country of Denmark. The country welcomes one and all, inviting and attracting tourists with its awe-inspiring fairy tales, football matches, and the statue of the bronze mermaid sitting on a rock that looks over the city. Bearing a long-drawn historical past, it is rich in culture and heritage. Now, it is one of the most modern and developed nations in Europe with the best itineraries for all the travel junkies out there.
6. Canada - The Epitome of Ethnic DiversityLet's say Canadians apologize for even a minute error they commit, let alone think of a major crime. Canada has some of the most refreshing cities, generous in spirit. It's ethnically diverse, so one gets a taste of different cultures nationwide. Toronto and Vancouver cannot be missed out on as they are dynamic in every aspect- from vistas to food, they're absolutely unique! Canada is a living example of the magic that can be created when you combine all ethnicities. Replete with all of its natural attractions, it is also an ideal country for fishing, rock climbing, canoeing, and kayaking.
7. Singapore - The Quintessential CosmopolitanWeren't you waiting for a country in Asia with a title of safe? Yes, Singapore is one of the top cities with lesser crime rates. Best described as a microcosm of modern Asia, Singapore is a melting pot of culture and history, and an extravaganza of culinary delights. It's fast-paced, quintessentially cosmopolitan, and beautiful. This 'City in a Garden' is a blend of cultures, combining different ideas, attractions, and new architecture, going well with the gleaming hint of the old school. Let's say that the country takes its food and shopping very seriously. With a picture-perfect skyline, towering buildings, and a city center bustling with crowds, you'll thoroughly enjoy the vivacity of Singapore!
8. Slovenia - Home to Mountainous TerrainA supremely underrated destination- Slovenia, a country in Central Europe, has a surprising variety of terrains, from the beaches of the Mediterranean to the peaks of the Julian Alps, to the rolling hills of the south. It has a subtle blend of its deep-rooted culture along with 21st-century adaptations, which makes it an attractive country to visit. This little gem may be small, but it offers a lot for tourists to explore. In Slovenia, you must head to Ljubljana, the picturesque capital that won the European Green Capital Award in 2016. You also need to visit Lake Bled for its romantic mountain lake, complete with its own castle and island, and Celje - which is one of Slovenia's ancient cities standing in its original glory.
9. Japan - Home To Great Architecture and Great FoodIf anywhere you can truly learn the meaning of Atithi Devo Bhava, it is here in Japan. Ask a person for help, and he or she will go out of the way to aid you with all due respect. The replenishing Sakura, the Shinkansen (bullet train) running at an unimaginably pace, The awe-inspiring My. Fuji and up-to-date technological assistance- from its bathrooms to its vending machines- you will surely enjoy every bit of Japan. You'll not want to leave the country after exploring all it offers. The disciplined country also has a stunning nightlife, which demands exploring. Missing out on Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka would be a mistake in Japan.
10. Czech Republic - The Land of Art, Music, and Beer10th on the list of the Peace Index, Czech Republic's essence lies in its castles, museums, cathedrals, and medieval towns. The culture-crammed capital city, Prague, which is often tagged as the 'city of a thousand spires,' is adorned with inspiring Gothic architecture and cobblestone streets reflecting the city's rustic charm. We can say that the country is a hotspot for night birds for its old breweries, zesty jazz clubs, and buzzing markets that keep tourists entertained. If you're looking to venture into the historical side of it, the castles are the right place to visit. Nevertheless, the country is a magnet for all beer enthusiasts for it upholds a splendid variety of it, and you'll not get over downing each type.
These countries are in the top 10 on the Global Peace Index, marked as some of the safest compared to others. So what keeps you from planning a trip to these safe and sound countries this year? We suggest you book your tickets soon!
Which amongst the list is your favorite country? Let us know in the comments below!