For those who like to party, Hanoi has three major area - The Bia Hoi Junction located in the Old Quarter, The West Lake Area and the Historical Center. For those who wish to avoid the raucous partygoers, the Opera House, Hanoi Central Circus or Water Puppet Theatre are great alternatives.
Bia Hoi JunctionBia Hoi Junction represents the quintessential Hanoi nightlife. Housing more than 200 small bars that serve Bia hoi, this area is mostly frequented by students, locals, backpackers and tourists. This area is open throughout the day and gets crowded after dusk. The area is widely popular due to the cheap Bia Hoi that it serves (4000 VND - 8000 VND per glass) and is mostly made up of small local shacks with plastic stools out front, with the most bizarre assortment of people sitting out enjoying the local beer. A popular item sold in this area is 'balloons'. Filled with some kind of laughing gas, they provide a temporary sensation of euphoria. This area is a must visit for both couple and singles and people offer to consider a visit to Hanoi incomplete without a visit here. Remember to dress down - fancy clothes will just make you stand out like a sore thumb. Bia Hoi junction may majorly consist of people sitting out in the open sipping beer, but it does have its fair share of clubs and bars for those who prefer to go the conventional route.
Dragonfly is a nondescript looking club but when you step inside you realize exactly how happening it is, a perfect metaphor for the nightlife in Hanoi. This club has an indoor area with beautiful lighting and a thriving dance floor. It also has shisha, balloon and cocktail facilities in addition to a smoking area.
Timings: 8:30 PM - 2:00 AM
USP: Outdoor and Indoor serving area for food, balloons, shisha and alcohol; Live DJ and exotic dancers
2. Craft Beer Pub
If you're a connoisseur of beer, this is your place to be. They serve a large variety of both locally made beer and beer imported from Belgium, Czech Republic, Germany.
Timings: 5:30 PM - 1:30 AM
USP: Serves locally made craft beer; large screen displaying sports
3. 1900 Le TheatreStanding on the remains of a burned down theatre, this Hanoi nightclub adds an element of oomph to the erstwhile laid-back scene. Complete with a DJ and a dance floor, this is undoubtedly the swankiest club in Bia Hoi junction. If you want to get a local experience and some mainstream music, this is the place. Usually very crowded, you might feel a little awkward if you go here alone.
Timings: 9:00 PM - 2:00 AM
USP: Modern ambience; Live unique medley of Vietnamese music and EDM; Lots of single people to mingle
4. Hair of the DogFor a more laid-back ambience in Hanoi, head over to the Hair of the Dog, which facilitates travellers and other people to meet and make conversation over a few drinks. The service is said to be top notch.
Timings: 9:00 PM - 3:30 AM
USP: 1st floor for locals and 2nd for foreigners; open until late at night
West Lake AreaThe West Lake Area has a number of upscale bars and clubs and is frequented by expats and Vietnamese socialites, celebrities and the lite. This area reeks of money and glamour and houses some of the most expensive clubs and bars. This area is ideal for a swanky, sophisticated date or a night out. The affluent crowd that frequents this area is always dressed to perfection and going casual with definitely make you stick out. In fact, most clubs in the area do not offer entry without appropriate clothing. At first glance, this area may seem too expensive, but it houses some of the most stylish and unique bars and clubs and is definitely worth a visit if you have the necessary time and resources.
5. Standing BarStanding bar is an unconventional bar in Hanoi built on a unique concept - you drink standing. The bar has numerous taps which when open fill your glasses generously with beer.
Timings: 6:00 PM - 12:30 AM
USP: They serve 16 types of craft beer - local and imported; offers a lake view; stand-up comedy Saturday nights
6. 88 Lounge88 Lounge embodies sophistication. This classy wine bar is ideal for a date. You can choose to occupy either the top garden or one of the sofa lounges on intermediate floors.
Timings: 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM
USP: Sophisticated wine lounge; ideal for a date due to its romantic ambience; offers wine-tasting events
Timings: 8:00 PM - 4:00 AM
USP: Electronic and Techno Music; Elite Crowd; Closes very late
8. Hanoi Rock City
Timings: 8:00 PM - 1:00 AM
USP: Alternative Event and art space featuring live music, DJ performances, open-mike nights and karaoke; free entry
9. Legend BeerLegend Beer sells more variety of beers than any other Vietnamese bar. Coupled with the enticing ambience, Legend beer is a great place to enjoy a great evening.
Timings: 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM
USP: Third Storey Bar with Lake View; self-craft their own beer; German Food
Historical City Centre
10. Factory 47Factory 47 is a factory style pub, complete with ambience and waiters in lab coats. The industrial style lighting adds to the thrill of the place and gives off an edgy feel.
Timings: 12:00 PM - 12:00 AM
USP: Industrial style pub; electronic music
11. Hanoi Press ClubHanoi Press club incontestably has the best assortment of French dishes in Vietnam. Hanoi press club also offers a special gentleman's style bar which has exotic dancers performing. Apart from that, it also has an open terrace, ideal for enjoying a quiet evening.
Timings: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM, 5:00 PM - 3:30 PM
USP: Two clubs; Gentlemen style and open-air terrace; live music from Thursday to Saturday; Buy one get one free cocktail on Thursday
12. The BankThe Bank is one of the best nightclubs in Hanoi. It combines the best parts of a Viet-styled nightclub and a Western Nightclub. Wednesday night is considered to be 'ladies night' and Entry is free for women, but men have to pay. EDM is the most popular music played here and the dance floor is always occupied by throngs of people raving to the beat.
Timings: 8:30 PM - 3:00 AM
USP: The Largest nightclub in Hanoi; Serves the best cocktails; funky music and elite crowd
13. Cosa NostraThe area and ambience of this Hanoi bar are beautiful but Cosa Nostra is often known for its poor service. This restaurant-cum-bar is themed to a minimalist one. The leather furniture offers a sophisticated, yet relaxing touch to your evening.
Timings: 12:00 PM - 12:00 AM
USP: Minimalist Bar with classy leather furniture; relaxed setting
14. TadiotoTadioto is known for the exotic colourful cocktails it serves. The artsy and colourful ambience adds to the charm of the place which is ideal for a date or a girl's night out.
Timings: 11:00 AM - 12:00 AM
USP: Artsy bar; rustic feel; a relaxed place to unwind
Unconventional Things to Do at Night in HanoiSo we've seen the vibrant party scene that the city has to offer, but what to do in Hanoi if alcohol, flashing lights and thumping music isn't your thing? Worry not, because Hanoi is full of things to do for those who prefer a quieter scene, maybe soaking up some culture or strolling through the streets to get a hint of the true essence of life in Vietnam's capital.
15. Hanoi Water Puppet Theatre
Timings: 2:00 PM - 9:00 PM
16. Hanoi Opera House
17. Vietnam Central Circus
Timings: Tuesday - Sunday: 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
18. Hanoi Night MarketA grand mixture of colours, sound and smell, Hanoi Night Market is a must visit for any tourist visiting the city, be it to buy souvenirs, browse through Vietnamese clothing or gorge on some delicious Vietnamese street food. One can find regular items like t-shirts, accessories, sunglasses or products reminiscent of Vietnamese culture such as conical hats and Ao Dai, all packed into this labyrinth of stalls that come up here on the weekends. Cultural and musical events are a regular spectacle, which can be enjoyed as you eat a mouth-watering plate of Pho or Banh Mi.
Timings: Friday - Sunday: 6:00 PM - 12:00 AM
In addition to being an excellent place for sightseeing displaying the rich culture and history of Vietnam, you will find that Hanoi has an exotic and enjoyable nightlife where you can unwind after a long day of sightseeing. The Hanoi nightlife scene is ever expanding. The city is yours to explore, Party the night away!