Ideal duration: 1 day
Best Time: During the winter and spring months Read More
Planning a Trip? Ask Your Question
Characterised by towering karst limestone pillars and small islets of various shapes and sizes amidst crystal blue waters, Halong Bay's ethereal beauty is a sight to behold. Located in northern Vietnam, it is the most popular tourist spot this side of the country. Halong Bay, where 'Halong' translates to 'where the dragon descends into the sea', had a part of it designated as a World Heritage Site in 1994. Halong City is the main entry point to the bay.
The most common way of exploring the region is via a cruise or day-trip boats, where tourists laze around in the boats while cruising among the limestone pillars and a number of islets. Many cruises and day-trips also include an island drop off and cave explorations. There are some floating villages as well which allow visitors to come and interact with the locals, try their food and buy knick-knacks.
Kayaking is another activity which has vastly become popular in recent years. One can kayak near and around the limestone pillars on a bright sunny day. Few caves also allow for exploring by kayaking which is an experience highly recommended.
1) The best way to explore Halong Bay is by cruise. There are day cruises and cruises with onboard stay for multiple nights available in various budget categories.
2) Be sure to book these cruises well in advance, especially during the peak season, as they can get sold out quickly.
3) Tours to Halong Bay are generally begun from Hanoi, but you can also head to Halong Bay from other nearby towns or cities. In addition, buses are regularly available to Halong Bay from most towns and cities.
4) It is advisable to seek help/advice from your hotel management about tours and cruises in Halong Bay. Generally, the hotel patrons can give a complete guide for the same.
5) Be sure to carry cash when travelling to Halong Bay.
As Island stops and water activities are a part of most cruises, be sure to carry appropriate clothing as needed.
6) Also, be sure to carry hats, sunscreens, and any such lotions and medications as needed, as these are not easy to come by when out in the bay.
Compare quotes from upto 3 travel agents for free
VND 230,176 onwards
VND 228,000 onwards
The nightlife in Halong Bay can be enjoyed both on land and on the sea.