We managed to curate a list of things to Buy for all you newbies, looking forward to visiting this wonderful market, for the things you can look forward to while visiting the market.
- Mobile Phone and Accessories
- Gym and Sports Equipment
- Bags and Wallets
1. BooksVisiting Chor Bazaar on Sunday might be a great idea, as adjoining this market is the famous Sunday book market of Daryaganj, where you can get steal deals on books. From novels to exam preparation books, and from textbooks to a planner, the place has it all at prices one can't imagine. With books starting from INR 20, the place is a paradise for every book lover. One of the most amazing things about the market is that you can also get books at the rate of INR 100/kg, which is certainly unusual and alluring for every book enthusiast.
2. ClothesRejected stuff from famous brands like Louis Vuitton, Raymond's, Zara, H & M, and Forever 21 often makes its way to Chor Bazaar. With prices starting as low as INR 50 for a piece of clothing, you can own every brand there is by paying a visit to this market without burning a hole in your pocket. Customers start to line up in early hours, as that is the time when one can get their hands on the most fantastic stuff at the lowest price possible. The clothes are stacked on the roadside on bedsheets spread out, so take out ample time and visit the market to get your hand on the best stuff possible.
3. CamerasWith camera and its equipment from all the major companies being available in Chor bazaar, it has become a hub for all budding photographers to buy all their supplies from. With high-end cameras starting at a range of INR 2000, people are now heading up to Old Delhi to get their hands on these fantastic cameras from companies like Nikon, Canon, Fujifilm, Sony and Panasonic. You should though have an eye for the authentic stuff while purchasing electronics from this market, as a lot of cheap dupes also make their way to the market, thus easily fooling the customers.
4. Mobile Phone and AccessoriesFrom cheap Chinese handsets to even the latest iPhone, this market has it all. The rates of these phones are jaw-dropping, with iPhones available even at a cost as low as INR 5000. You can also find every phone accessory you might need in this market, including headphones, chargers, SD cards, pen drives and earphones. The prices of these are meager. You should though be cautious about the authenticity of the product, as you might not get a guarantee on your headset than a verbal assurance by the shopkeeper.
5. Gym and Sports EquipmentMany roadside vendors and shops are seen selling gym equipment, including weights and dumbells at lower prices than showrooms. Sports equipment like knee pads, bats, racket, balls, skates, hockey sticks and helmets can also be found in this market. The amount of stuff and the quality the market has to offer at such a low price is quite unbelievable for people visiting this place for the first time. Having an eye for the excellent product and excellent bargaining skill will surely be your survival guide while roaming around in this market. Most of the stuff available is from brands itself, including Puma, Adidas, Nike and Decathlon to name a few.
6. StationeryFrom cute erasers to clay, and from pretty planners to beautiful notepads, these places is a paradise for every stationery enthusiast. With products starting from a whopping INR 10, the place covers your every need. Even with a small budget, you will surely manage to get your hand on many stuff in this market, which is equally cute and useful.
7. Bags and WalletsAll the high-end brand you see all over the internet, which you always dreamt of having, can be yours on your visit to Chor Bazaar. With bags and wallets from luxury companies like Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Gucci, Michael Kors, Steve Madden, and Charles and Keith flooding this market, getting your hand on this stuff is possible at a meagre price. The stuff available in the market is mostly export material or rejected material from these companies, thus available for rates as low as INR 500.
8. ShoesBe it clothing, accessories or your choice of footwear; this market has got all your needs covered at prices so low that you can't even imagine. Various shoes and heels and flats from brands like H&M, Forever 21, Aldo, Adidas, Nike, Puma, Reebok, Steve Madden and Jimmy Choo flood the market in abundance. The range for a good pair of heels starts from an approximate INR 800, thus proving to be very light on your pocket. Chor Bazaar certainly can give you a head to toe makeover in prices as low as possible and as easy as it gets on your pocket.
9. AntiquesBe it antique showpieces or antique jewellery; the place has garnered it all. Beautiful silver and Kundan work jewellery can be seen hanging in the showcases of small shops in the market. It has managed to attract a lot of foreigners to this market, and also, many Indians having an eye for the antiques. Beautiful wooden and iron handicrafts also make their way in these shops and are sold for cheap. You can thus manage to get your hand on all of this beautiful stuff in Chor Bazaar, without emptying your bank account for sure.
10. FoodWhen it comes to delicious and scrumptious food, nothing beats the charm of Old Delhi. The place is heaven for all non-vegetarians, as it houses many restaurants serving amazing dishes like Chicken Biryani, Chicken Korma, and Desi Fried Chicken at extremely low prices. The chicken used is fresh, and thus, you can be assured of the quality. Apart from all the non-vegetarian option, the place has certainly a lot to offer to the vegetarians too. The famous Daulat ki chaat, Kulfi, Jalebi, Lassi and Halwa are some of the most amazing delicacies you can get hold of while exploring this beautiful part of the city.
Location of Delhi Chor BazaarNear Jama Masjid and Lala Lajpat Rai Nagar Market, next to Jama Masjid Metro Station, New Delhi.
Timings5:00 AM to 5:00 PM
How To ReachTake the metro (Violet Line) to reach the market as it is the cheapest and the most convenient method. Board the heritage line and get down at Jama Masjid Metro station, and then take up an exit at gate no. 2 to reach the market, then located at a walking distance. Cabs and taxis are not such a good option given the crowd in these places. Autos can be taken up too.
Tips for Shopping in Chor Bazaar1. Not all the stuff sold in the market is authentic. You need to be able to differentiate between the genuine and the fake things while in the market. So, while buying electronics and branded items, be sure to check the authenticity to the products.
2. It is best to visit the market during the early hours of the day, given the fact that the crowd is less and all the good stuff is up for grabs, making it easier for you to shop.
3. Take the metro to reach the market, as it is the best possible mode of conveyance given the lack of parking facilities in the market.
4. It is best to visit this market on Sunday as the adjoining Daryaganj Book Market, which is the only setup on Sunday, is something you'll look forward to as well.
5. The actual price of the products is quite less than what the shopkeepers quote. So don't be afraid to put your bargaining skills to best use while in the market.
6. You must have ample time on their hand before visiting the market, around 2-3 hours if you want to explore the place thoroughly.
7. Many products sold are damaged and should be checked thoroughly before being bought.
8. Pickpocketing is a common thing in the market, given the crowd. Make sure to keep all your valuables inside and out of reach.
9. Carry cash. Cards definitely won't work in Chor Bazaar though some mobile wallets might.
This old treasured part of the city is still something which hasn't lost its charm and attracts hundreds of people every day to itself, owing to the beauty it has managed to retain. From being the most affordable market of the city to housing one of the most beautiful monuments (Jama Masjid), Chor Bazaar is something which will undoubtedly pull you towards it. From the amazing food to fabulous clothes, the place takes care of all your needs and thus manages to be at the top of our list for the places one must visit in Delhi.