The online application of visa allows one to avoid the hectic long procedure of visiting the embassy or consulate for getting a visa. ETA or Electronic Travel Authorization is fast and an official authorization for making travel more fun and simplified. However, not every country is permitted to apply for an online visa. In case of visiting Sri Lanka, the countries which needs to go to the embassy physically for obtaining a visa are Guinea, Libenia, Mali, Nigeria, Cameroon and Sierra Leone.
Procedure for applying for Online visa for Sri Lanka
- Primarily the person who is travelling to Sri Lanka needs to visit the official government website that operates the ETA of i-visa for Sri Lanka.
- Fill up the application form as required.
- After the details are filled up, one can proceed with ‘Apply’ by paying the fees of the e-visa for Sri Lanka. The fee varies for different countries and for different categories of visit.
- One can carry on the payment through Mastercard, Visa Card or American Express or other substitutes mentioned.
- After the completion of the application process, the applicant will receive the acknowledgement mail.
- After confirmation of the process, one will receive the ETA approval notice of e-visa for Sri Lanka.
- Generally 1-2 business days are required for the process. One can choose standard delivery or rush delivery depending on the urgency of the occasion. Rush delivery requires extra charges.
- Though the ETA processed i-visa is electronically linked with the passport, it is precautionary to carry a printed version of the approval referral for avoiding further complications.
Documents Required for E-Visa Approval
At the time of providing immigration stamp in the passport, e-visa checking is carried out. The documents required for the purpose are
Confirmed air tickets
Financial address proof
Invitation proof incase of business visit
Fees for e-visa for Sri Lanka
In case of SAARC countries,
- Tourist visa for 30 days with double entry : US$ 20
- Business visa for 30 days with double entry : US$ 30
- Tourist visa for 30 days with double entry : US$ 35
- Business visa for 30 days with double entry : US$ 40
Duration and extension of e-visa for Sri LankaAt the time of applying for the application for e-visa for Sri Lanka, it is mentioned that the e-visa longevity is for 30 days.
Further 6 months of extension of the visit can be done in two phases. The applicant needs to visit and apply at the Dept. of Immigration Head Office for that, via an authorised agent.
Eligibility Criteria for Tourist Visa for Sri Lanka
At the time of applying for online visa, the following criteria must be met by the traveller -
- The traveller must carry a valid passport with not less than 6 months validity.
- The purpose of travelling to the country must be mentioned in the online application via ETA. The categories for travelling are : Tourist, Business, Transit.
- There are different types of ETA with regard to the categories of travelling purpose which has different criteria for itself.
- With the same passport, two ETA applications cannot be approved at the same time. Each ETA has a validity of 6 months.
- A new visa can be applied for travelling the same country only after the cancellation or expiry of the prevailing ETA and vice versa.
- There are 3 countries which do not require any visa for travelling to Sri Lanka. These are Singapore, Maldives and the Seychelles.
- Apart from that, no crew member of the flight or ship would require a visa.
- Children below the age of 12 do not require a visa for visiting Sri lanka.
Cancellation and refund of e-visa for Sri LankaApplication can be cancelled by Sri Lankan government if,
- Information is deficit
- Payment is not made
- In case that the applicant wants to cancel the application of ETA for e-visa, one needs to mail the department concerned, at the earliest, before the processing of the ETA application for e-visa for Sri Lanka starts. Once under process, it cannot be cancelled.
- oney will be refunded if the ETA application is already under process or mistakes in details have been made by applicant.
- Money will be refunded completely if mistakes are done on behalf of ETA department.
- Money will be partly refunded if travellers are seen to visit places which have recognizable threats like any epidemic disease, natural disaster etc.