Best Time To Go For Snorkeling In Sri LankaDiving and snorkeling in the waters of the Indian Ocean are amazing. The best time to visit Sri Lanka for snorkeling is between November to April. This is for South and West coast but if you are interested in the east coast of Sri Lanka then April and September is the best time to visit.
The price of snorkeling in Sri Lanka varies for experienced, intermediate and freshers. But the best part about snorkeling in Sri Lanka is that it has one of the cheapest rates compared to other snorkeling spots of the world. For the amateur,, the price starts from US$50 and ranges to US$100 depending on how deep you want to go. This price also includes the equipment required. You can also do a course in driving if you are interested in a very cheap price.
Places For Snorkeling in Sri Lanka
1. Bentota: Bentota under the Indian Ocean is filled with not only a variety of aquatic animals and plants and corals, but also shipwrecks that are waiting to be discovered. If you are someone who would enjoy this kind of an adventure, then this is a place you must visit for a snorkeling session.
Bentota Travel Mart organizes the best comprehensively planned diving and snorkeling sessions in the area.
2. Hikkaduwa: It is a small town located in Southwest coast of Sri Lanka. It is believed to be one of the most famous places for snorkeling in the country. With impressive coral reefs and marine animals, you are sure to have one of the best snorkeling trips of your life!
Snorkeling and Canoe Rides offers some of the cheapest rates for snorkeling in Hikkaduwa.
3. Mirissa: If snorkeling alongside majestic blue whales is your dream, then live it here at Mirissa! You will be able to swim and snorkel not only with whales but different species of turtles and marine animals!
Muthu Tours Mirissa is a reliable tour and diving service offered at Mirissa. They will help you and guide you through the entire process, including getting your gears.
4. Pigeon Island: A snorkeling session here is a must for anyone who enjoys a good dive. You will be able to see not only the breathtakingly beautiful coral reefs that protect the marine life here, but also a variety of sharks and turtles!
Angel Diving services is considered to be one of the trusted and most popular ones here.
Things to Know Before Snorkeling in Sri Lanka
- Choose your spot carefully: even if many people are snorkeling at a destination, it does not mean that it will also be the best place for you to snorkel. Choosing a destination in Sri Lanka will not be very difficult for you, as you will find most of the places here filled with aquatic life and corals, which the government works extra hard to preserve.
- Choose your guide carefully: if you are learning how to snorkel for the first time, make sure you have a very experienced and patient trainer. Be sure to also give yourself ample time to get the hang of it
- Practice well ahead of jumping into the water: Instead of diving into deep waters on your first try, practice in a swimming pool or a shallow area.
- It is always better to get your own equipment: and in case you do not have any, rent the equipment a few hours before your snorkeling session, so that you can practice and get used to using the equipment.