If you are looking to travel to this beautiful place during August, here are some facts regarding the weather and activities you must engage in
The Weather of Nepal in August
- Average daily weather: Around 28 °C.
- Average rainfall: 345mm.
Festivals in Nepal in AugustNepal is widely regarded as the nation that celebrates the highest number of festivals in the world. Here are the festivals one could witness while travelling to Nepal in August.
1. Janai Purnima
Janai Purnima, or Raksha Bandhan as used in India, is a Hindu festival which is celebrated all over the country. Many Shamans from the valley gather and perform the ancient rites at Kumbeshwar temple. On the occasion of Janai Purnima, Hindu men renew their Janai. This festival is very popular amongst the citizens as on this day, people hold family get-togethers.
Date: 3rd August 2020
2. Gai Jatra
This is one of the most colourful festivals in Nepal. People wear bright costumes and traditional dresses to mark the beginning of this festival. For a traveller, it is recommended to visit the Great Durbar Square at Bhaktapur to witness the epic annual celebration. This festival is celebrated with a background story that includes a popular King who gathered people to cheer up his queen since their son had died. A cheerful festival, make sure that you witness the Gai Jatra whenever you visit Nepal in August.
Date: 19th August 2020
3. Krishna JanmashtamiThe diversity in traditions makes Nepal a unique country. During August, one can witness the Krishna Janmashtami, a festival which is celebrated on the occasion of Lord Krishna’s birthday.
Date: 11th August 2020
Things to Do in Nepal in August
1. Visiting the FarmlandsDuring August, one can experience the dazzling green crops all around the valleys in the Kathmandu region. Mustang lies in the shadow side of the Himalayas, and it does not experience the monsoon the whole country does. Because of its geographical location, the weather is cool, which provides the perfect conditions to have a hangout with fellow travellers. If you are a big fan of trekking and august is the only time you can visit the country, have a look at Lower and Upper Mustang.
2. Visiting the Kathmandu ValleyThe Kathmandu Valley is the main tourist spot in the country. Comprising of beautiful villages, markets, and many unique locations, you can head out to visit the Kathmandu valley to experience the uniqueness this country presents in tourism.
What to Pack for Nepal in AugustAs rainfall is omnipresent during August, you should be equipped with umbrellas and raincoats. An increase in temperature is experienced during this month, hence cotton material dress is recommended. The following things should be present in your backpack if you are visiting Nepal in August.
- Raincoats and Umbrellas
- Trekking equipment( if you want to do trekking)
- Navigation tools