1. Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International AirportFormerly known as the Plaisance Airport, it is the main international airport of Mauritius located 48 kilometres towards the southeast of Port Louis. It has direct flights to Europe, Africa and Asia, and is also home to the national airline of the island - Air Mauritius. It is owned and operated by the Airports of Mauritius Co. Ltd. (AML) and the Government of Mauritius being their significant shareholders.
Structure and Facilities at Mauritius Airport
The present design of the SSR International Airport is derived from the Mauritian tropical plant 'Traveller's Palm' which can capacitate more than 4 million passengers. The terminal covers 57,000 square metres with five boarding gates equipped and includes immigration counters, check-in desks for passengers and baggage carousels. There are nearly 23 operating airlines that arrive and depart from the airport to different parts of the world.
This airport in Mauritius has facilities like ATMs, food courts and restaurants, in-airport shopping space and luggage reclaim hall, along with a 24-hour parking capacity of 600.
How to Reach Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport
- Passengers coming from Mahebourg should take the A10 Road, drive for 6 kilometres westwards and follows the signs that lead to the Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport. Those coming from Port Louis should head in the SE direction on the M2 Road for 40 kilometres and follow the signs to the airport after that.
- Car rental companies like ABC, Budget, Europcar, etc. offer their services in the airport's Tour Operators' Hall.
- Public buses run between Port Louis to the airport every day at regular intervals of half an hour and cost about INR 300 per person and it is a 60-minute journey from the bus station to the terminal. Taxi services from Port Louis take about 45 minutes and costs around INR 1500.
2. Sir Gaetan Duval AirportThe Rodrigues island hosts the second airport in Mauritius, and it is located at a place called Plaine Corail.
Structure and Facilities at the Airport
The Sir Gaetan Duval Airport is a public airport, and as recorded in 2006, it had a capacity of 49,500 passengers. Mainly two airlines - Air Mauritius and a seasonal Air Austral - are operating in the airport. The asphalt runway of the airport has dimensions of 1287 by 30 metres.
How to Reach Sir Gaetan Duval Airport from Mauritius
- Bus service from the town Port Mathurin to the airport start from 6 AM and the last bus departs at 4.30 PM. The duration of the journey is 35 minutes, and it costs INR 29 per person.
- Taxis in the form of cars, trucks and SUVs offer transportation services to any part of the island from the airport bus station and can be identified by the yellow sign on the top of the vehicle.
- For each scheduled flight, shuttle bus services are available from the airport to different parts of Rodrigues with a price higher than the public transport as it provides door-to-door service.