Take a note of these and see Miami in a different light (and budget)!
16 Free Things to Do in Miami
1. Free Art Fairs Across MiamiIt wouldn’t be wrong to say that art is the essence of Miami and forms an integral part of its identity. Venues with magnificent displays of art welcome visitors throughout the day up till the wee hours of the night without charging a penny. You can visit these places any time to explore the city’s artistic side through its exhibits at art fairs. If you are keen on art, visit one of these for an enriched experience-
–Art Basel Miami beach along with other small art fairs happen every week which may have different themes.
–You can visit the first Friday gallery night that is sponsored by Coral Gables Gallery Association.
– Viernes Culturals takes place on Calle Ocho on Fridays and reflects Cuban culture in its full glory.
2. Attend a Concert or Watch a MovieIf you want to get entertained, we suggest you attend a concert or watch a movie for free in Miami. Visit Soundscape at New World Centre on select Wednesdays for a free concert or movie in the lawn. The Cinema series usually starts at 8:00 PM onwards. Don’t be late since entry is on a first come first serve basis.
3. Awe-inspiring Art WalksOne of the best free things that you can do in Miami is to visit the Wynwood Art Walk in Wynwood which is the biggest and the most popular one in the city. Held on every second Saturday of the month, this art walk remains open till late and is an exceptional display of vibrant murals and creativity. This place up till the 1970s was in shambles however with due course of time, it has transformed itself into a focal point of street art and nocturnal life.
4. Beach Day Out!Aren’t Miami and beaches synonyms? The majority of beach visits are free of cost in Miami. You have a large variety of options to choose from when it comes to beaches in Miami. If you wish to opt for lagoon style beach, go in for Crandon Park Beach.
If you cannot visit the beach during the day, make sure that you visit the South Beach Road early in the morning to witness the most surreal sunrise view that Miami has to offer.
6. Peep into Cuban Culture at Little HavannaGet set as Miami gears up to give you Cuban vibes at Little Havanna without making you break the bank. Feel the good vibes as you find open spaces, bars, pubs, people singing and dancing merrily on roads washing down drinks and chomping on food. In addition to its infectious vivacious energy, Little Havanna honours Cuban music, art and food.
Known to be one of the cheapest areas in Miami, this place has pocket friendly food joints that serve delicious food at very low rates (what else do you want when everything else is free?). So sip mojitos and enjoy the empanadas to your heart's content at Little Havanna.
7. Visit Art Deco DistrictSituated at the famous Ocean Drive, the Art Deco District is one of the most iconic landmarks in Miami. This place looks nothing short of the swanky destinations that you see in Hollywood movies. Lined with pastel hued hotels and mansions like Versace The Villa Casa Casuarina, this location is billed as the largest collection of art deco architecture in the world.
To know this place better, go in for a self-guided tour where you can explore at your own pace. If you like the state of the art things that are larger than life, this is where you should be.
8. Exploring the Street ArtAnother place to visit for free in Miami is the Museum of Graffiti which is the latest addition to the art landscape of Miami. Crowned as the world’s first museum dedicated to Graffiti art, this museum acknowledges thousands of artists that have delivered exceptional graffiti on the walls of streets. Here the exhibits are both indoor and outdoor.
Apart from this, there is ample creativity that you can find on every wall of the streets in Miami especially inspirational quotes and funky characters are found in plenty.
9. Yoga and Workout at Bayfront ParkHow about doing some yoga outdoors under the swaying palm trees or in expansive parks? If you are looking for another free thing to do in Miami, including yoga and workout at the Bayfront Park in the list. If not this, you can consider the following options for free exercise –
1. Once a month free outdoor training class at Gwen Cherry Park organised by Miami Dade Country Parks and Recreation and Coca-Cola troops
2. 3 free classes at three different locations from North Miami Beach Yoga Studio
3. North Shore Park bandshell – Mondays and Wednesdays – 6:00 PM
4. Collins Park at the Bass – Mondays and Wednesday - 6:00 PM
5. South Pointe Park – Tuesdays and Thursdays - 6:00 PM
6. Yoga mornings by Jackson Health System at The Lawn of New World Centre’s Sound Space Park in South Beach once per month on Saturdays.
7. Athleta stores in Merrick Park for free yoga and pilates classes on Sundays.
8. Dharma studio in Coconut Grove on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6:00 PM.
9. Mayfair Hotel and Spa rooftop on Saturdays at 8:00 AM.
10. Institute of Contemporary ArtApart from the fairs, events and museums, the next best free thing to do in Miami is to visit the Institute of Contemporary Art and De La Cruz collection. Known for its jaw dropping beauty and mind-boggling masterpieces from international artists, this institute is the epicentre of contemporary artists in this city of Florida. Another iconic destination in the area, visit this place for stunning sculptures and mesmerising architecture.
11. Museums for AllDon’t let your exploratory spree end for the best free things to do in Miami. The city is home to mind blowing museums that allow free entry on certain days. Note the following places along with days that offer a free time slot -
1. PAMM - Perez Art Museum Miami (Downtown Miami) for conventional and contemporary works.
Timings: Thursdays 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM.
2. History Miami - Second Saturday of each month from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
3. Miami Children’s Museum for exhibits and programmes – Third Friday of every month. Call authorities to confirm timings.
12. Stroll down Ocean DriveGoing for a leisurely stroll is always a good idea especially when the place is Instagram worthy. Ocean Drive in Miami is an amazing place to go for a walk or when we just want to spend some quiet time. We suggest clicking pictures here as it is beautiful beyond belief.
By the beach, you are highly likely to find free gyms in case you wish to exercise while enjoying the view. The Art Deco District also is a part of the Ocean Drive. With serene views, clean surroundings and spellbinding architecture, the Ocean Drive is a must visit at least once if you are in Miami.
13. Train and Trolley RideDid you know that you can travel from one point of Miami to another free of cost without any hassle? The Metromover in Miami not only is a reliable source to commute in the city but also super fun as one meanders through twists and turns across the city to reach the destination. If possible, alight at the Bayside Marketplace to enjoy some free live music every day.
14. Wood Tavern’s Taco TuesdayIndulge in the Mexican flavours of the tacos without any guilt at Taco Tuesdays at Wood Tavern where you would get free tacos every Tuesday from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM and after that at a minimum price of USD 1. The margaritas are also cheaper as compared to other places – priced at USD 5.
15. Booklegger’s LibraryCalling all nerds and bookworms! We are sure you must not have heard the word books with Miami. Yet we bring you Booklegger’s library which offers one free book on every visit. Being a non-profit organisation, if you buy another book from here, a nominal cost of USD2 will be levied.
16. Fly KiteFly high with the Kitetober kite festival that takes place in the month of October in Miami. One of the best free things to do in Miami, this festival is going to impress you in every sense of the word. With kites of different themes, colours, shapes and sizes, this festival is a treat to the eyes. If you happen to be here during this time, do make time to fly kites, play frisbee, play with winters and dance to the DJ.
This one-day festival is most awaited as it keeps getting better every year. This is a great place to visit with friends or with kids who love flying kites.
Now, explore and enjoy as you go in for these free things in Miami.