The 10 Coolest Facts about Miami1. The popular name Miami was given to the city after a native tribe that had lived there in the 1600s and 1700s, the tribe was called the Mayaimi.
2. Miami, Florida is known to have the world’s largest collection of art deco architecture and is a treat for visitors to witness.
3. Miami is luckily surrounded by two national parks which make it a stunning place to visit. The national parks that surround it are the Biscayne National Park and Everglades National Park. Also the city is famous for having more than 800 parks.
4. Miami is famous for opening the very first Burger King in 1954, it had to lead to food giant to place its roots there and expand. Miami was the first place where Burger King had introduced the iconic Whopper burger before sending it to the rest of the world.
5. Miami is a popular tourist destination for its 50 underwater wreck sites that are perfect for scuba enthusiasts to swim through. Miami is also nicknamed the Wreckreational Diving Capital of the World due to its abundance of diving spots. Miami surprisingly is also called the Cruise Capital of the World, as at least 5 million people travel through cruise ships from Miami.
6. Miami is famous for its beaches but most of the beaches are man-made hence they have to be replenished with sand after a period of time.
7. Miami is the only major city to be founded by a woman. It was given its status and significance by an American businesswoman by the name of Julia Tuttle when she had convinced an oil tycoon by the name of Henry Flagler to continue his railroad from Central parts Florida through Miami. Once the first train had passed from the Florida East Coast Railroad it had reached the city in 1896, and that was a deciding factor that had lead Miami to be incorporated later that year.
8. Miami is famous for having one of the largest snow skiing clubs that can be found in the U.S.A.
9. Even though Miami is generally a hot place to visit, it was once recorded by the meteorological department that it had snowed only once in its long history. The day it snowed in Miami was on January 19, 1977.
10. Miami is famous for its lost treasure that can be found on its many beaches. Miami was a haven for pirates such as Blackbeard and Gasparilla who are supposedly responsible for leaving behind a lot of treasure in the nearby ocean tourists that have visited Miami have found a lot of gold and on and off the land as well.
Did we miss to mention any of the fascinating facts about Miami? Tell us in the comments.