Ranked 190 among Places to Visit in Singapore
Time Required: Less than 1 hour
Located at the junction of East Coast Road and Chapel Road in Katong district, the Church of the Holy Family is a four-storeyed roman catholic church with a brilliant white and grey facade. The church is massive and can accommodate around 3000 people. The highlight of the edifice is its multicoloured 16-panelled stained glass right above the altar which depicts the Holy Family and snippets of Jesus Christ's life during his last days. The stained glass was imported from Italy, especially for the church itself. A statue of Mother Mary also stands inside a grotto of the church. The Church of the Holy Family is a well-known landmark and an important place of worship in Katong area.
The church was founded by four Eurasian families living in Tanjong Katong in 1902. Back then, the home of De La Salle Brothers was used as the makeshift chapel, where prayers and gatherings took place. However, in 1932, by the donation of a plot of land by Mr James Scheerder, a chapel was built, dedicated to the Holy Family of Nazareth. As the number of worshippers kept increasing, the church failed to accommodate everyone under the same roof, and so the chapel was demolished, and a larger church was established in its place. The current building was constructed in 1997.
Compare quotes from upto 3 travel agents for free
No reviews yet
Be the first to add a question