The Boat Quay in Singapore is a historical quay located on the southern bank of the Singapore River; which formerly served aquatic trade in the country, and now houses a number of bars, pubs and restaurants. The shophouses located here earlier aided in the shipping business; and though now not in use, they have been conserved carefully, making the area a busy commercial area frequented by locals and tourists alike.
The road along the area has now been revamped into a pedestrian mall, and there is plenty to enjoy and experience at the Boat Quay. The river, in itself, is of course not an attraction to be missed, and you can then indulge in an amazing dining experience to make the best out of your day. You can either enjoy a cruise up and down the river as you dine, or choose from the numerous cafes, bars and pubs along the quay to spend the night. In fact, Boat Quay is well known for its nightlife and is a must-visit place in Singapore to get a taste of what local entertainment and clubbing in Singapore feels like. People often visit the Boat Quay to de-stress after a busy day in the new central business district behind it.
Read More on Boat Quay
10 Best Nightlife Spots at Boat Quay
1. Headquarters by The Council The hotspot for some of the most happening parties in all of Singapore, Headquarters by The Council boasts of having some amazing music and disco systems that visitors cannot stop raving about; which is what possibly makes it one of the hippest underground clubs in the entire area. Timings: Wednesday to Friday: 10:00 PM to 03:00 AM Saturday: 10:00 PM to 04:00 AM Sunday to Tuesday closed
2. Canvas Club Not only is this clubbing spot at Boat Quay famous for its bass-heavy underground music and vibrant neon-lit dance floor, but it also has a really amazing art gallery attached to it. As a bonus, the place hosts a lot of international acts and stand-up comedy shows after 07:00 PM to add some merry and delight to the evenings. Timings: Tuesday: 05:00 PM to 01:00 AM Wednesday to Friday: 05:00 PM to 03:00 AM Saturday: 06:00 PM to 04:00 AM Sunday and Monday closed
3. The Spiffy Dapper Without a second doubt the best cocktail spot along the entire stretch of Boat Quay, The Spiffy Dapper serves classic cocktails such as Bloody Mary and Old Fashioned, but with their own unique twist. Other than the fantastic cocktails, there are also numerous other bar snacks to enjoy in their upstairs sitting areas, such as tortilla chips and guacamole. In fact, for those really interested to learn the history and science of these cocktails, the bar also conducts special gin and tonic masterclasses. Timings: Monday to Friday: 05:00 PM to 01:00 AM Saturday: 06:00 PM to 02:00 AM Sunday: 07:00 PM to 01:00 AM
4. RedDot BrewHouse Set in a historical building, this brewery is renowned for its quality ale and homebrewed beers. The super-chill ambience with the spectacular views of the river only adds to the pleasure of being at the RedDot BrewHouse. All of the beer selections here are unique and worth giving a shot - do not forget to try out the Monster Green Lager Beer, which is actually green in colour. On the side with alcohol, order burgers and steak. Timings: Monday to Friday: 12 PM to 12:00 AM Saturday: 03:00 PM to 12:00 AM Sunday closed
5. BQ Bar This laid back bar with an upbeat ambience is one of the best places to chill at while at the Boat Quay. The bar is especially famous for its martinis and mojitos, but its speciality cocktails and party shots are also a must-try! Timings: Monday to Thursday: 11:00 AM to 01:00 AM Friday: 11:00 AM to 03:00 AM Saturday: 05:00 PM to 03:00 AM
6. Cat Café Neko no Niwa For those looking to spend the night but in a much more subtle way, the Cat Café Neko no Niwa is the place to be at. Enjoy tea and coffee in the company of resident cats that are well cared for. Drinks start from as low as SGD 2 at the café, and by paying an additional SGD 12, one can enjoy your drinks with an hour-long cuddle with the friendly cats here. Keep in mind that there are certain rules to follow at the café. Do not wake up a sleeping cat, and children below seven are not allowed in the cat section of the café. Timings: Monday to Friday: 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM Saturday to Sunday: 10:00 AM to 10:00 PM Tuesdays closed
7. Penny Black This Victorian London styled pub on Boat Quay has on its menu seven international beers, ranging from Kilkenny and Guinness to Erdinger and Tiger. Supposedly, the traditional furniture of the pub was shipped all the way from England, and other than the traditional beer and furniture, enjoy the live sports screenings here. The alfresco spot is the perfect place to be seated at to enjoy beer and have some really amazing pub meals while enjoying the scenic views of the river. Head to the spacious seating on the ground floor for a more authentic Victorian London feel and experience. Timings: Sunday to Wednesday: 11:30 AM to 01:00 AM Thursday to Friday: 11:30 AM to 03:00 AM Saturday: 11:30 AM to 04:00 AM
8. Crazy Elephant Highly recommended by the locals, the Crazy Elephant is known for its live gigs in genres like rock, blues and jazz, which are a welcome relief from the usual loud noise in clubs these days. And while the ambience and concept here are to die for, the food is equally good, and is reasonably priced as well; which makes the place all the more popular. The club also has a beautiful outdoor area by the riverside, which is a great place to sit down to enjoy a drink. Timings: Tuesday to Thursday: 05:00 PM to 02:00 AM Friday and Saturday: 05:00 PM to 03:00 AM Sunday: 05:00 PM to 02:00 AM Monday: 05:00 PM to 01:00 AM
9. The Chupitos Bar Dedicated exclusively to shots, The Chupitos Bar at Boat Quay boasts of having a wide range of over 130 shots, all of which are reasonably priced. The best part about the bar is the limited waiting time, which means that one doesn't have to wait for long for the drink. In fact, The Chupitos Bar is the perfect place to indulge in some pre-drinking before heading to a club to dance all night! Timings: Sunday to Tuesday and Thursday: 06:30 PM to 01:30 AM Wednesday, Friday and Saturday: 06:30 PM to 03:00 AM
10. Hooters This iconic American brand has made its mark in Boat Quay too, and has earned great name and fame for itself among the localities, not only for its drinks but also for its signature chicken wings and delicious burgers. This resto-bar is a hit among sports lovers too, who love to watch their teams play while sitting back and enjoying a mug of beer. Additionally, the place also hosts indoor games and the winners get exciting goodies! Timings: Sunday to Thursday: 12:00 PM to 01:00 AM Friday and Saturday: 12:00 PM to 02:00 AM
How to Reach Boat Quay
Boat Quay is situated on the Bonham St. Buses NR1, and NR3 stop at a walking distance of 2 minutes.
To get to the Boat Quay via MRT, take the East-West Line MRT, which is the green line, and then get down at the Raffles Place MRT Station. Alternatively, if the purple line is more convenient, take the North-East Line and stop at Clarke Quay Station below Central Plaza. From here, Boat Quay is at a walkable distance.