Ideal time : Less than 1 hour
Entry Fee : No entry fee
Timings : 24 hours
One of the oldest and only suspension bridge in Singapore, the Cavenagh Bridge spans over the lower reaches of the Singapore River. Previously called as Edinburgh Bridge, its name was changed to Cavenagh Bridge after Sir Lieutenant General William Orfeur Cavenagh. It's construction completed in 1869, making it the oldest bridge that stretches over the Singapore River. Officially opened in 1870, this mighty bridge commemorated Singapore's new Crown colony of the Straits Settlements. This bridge was the last monumental craftsmanship of the Indian convicts based in Singapore. Today, it functions as a footbridge for pedestrians.
Designed by Colonel G.C Collyer, the bridge's steel structure was imported all the way from Glasgow, and Scottish Engineers worked on its construction. The Cavenagh bridge connects the Raffles Place and the Government quarters and served as a convenient alternative to get to the Post Office instead of a ferry. In 1987, the Cavenagh Bridge went through a process of renovation and restoration to preserve and strengthen its structure and foundation. The entire restoration process came up to a total of SGD 1.2 Million. The bridge was designed by John Turnbull Thomson of the colonial Public Works Department's. Built at the cost of SGD 80,000, the Cavenagh Bridge restricted vehicles that weigh beyond 152 kilograms or 336 pounds, including horses or cattle. The public notice that was put up limiting the passage of vehicles in the initial years is still preserved and displayed at the bridge.
Compare quotes from upto 3 travel agents for free