Must have items in travel medical kitIf you have never carried a travel health kit, you would require a checklist to pack the important items in it. At first, you must consider the area that you would be visiting. The items in travel medical kit will depend on the remoteness of the place you would be visiting and the activities you will be undertaking. You must carry your prescription medicines if you have a certain health condition. If you are suffering from diabetes, you should carry your medical equipment such as needles and sterile syringes.
Let’s take a look at the must-have items in travel medical kit that will keep you safe and healthy during your trip:
1. Analgesic MedicineAnalgesic medicines are painkillers that can help to alleviate pain. Aspirin or paracetamol are common analgesic medicines that you must carry in your travel health kit. If you experience back pain, body pain or a headache during your trip, you can have a paracetamol to feel better. These medicines are useful in getting relief from mild to moderate pain. If you trek for a long time, you can have leg pain or a headache due to exertion. At such a time, the analgesic medicine in your travel medical kit can help you.
2. Antihistamine TabletsWhen you are traveling, allergies can frequently occur due to change of weather and place. You must carry antihistamine tablets in your travel health kit for stings, bites or allergies. Antihistamines stop allergy symptoms by blocking or reducing histamines. They provide relief from food and seasonal allergies. The common symptoms of allergy are sneezing, runny nose, hay fever, watery eyes, and throat itching. The antihistamine tablets start working within thirty minutes.
3. Cold and flu tabletsCold and flu tablets are one of the most important items in travel medical kit. You can get a cold and flu anytime during your trip. Therefore, it is important to pack cold and flu tablets in your kit. The common cold and flu symptoms are headaches, sore throat, body ache, and nasal congestion. Crocin Cold & Flu Max and Vicks Cold & Flu multi-symptom relief are common tablets for treating cold and flu. These tablets contain decongestants, cough suppressants, and pain relievers that provide relief from the symptoms.
4. Cough MedicineYou should not forget to carry a cough medicine in your travel health kit. Dry or wet cough can be extremely annoying when you are on a trip. There are various types of cough syrups available in the pharmacy store. A cough suppressant blocks the cough reflex and provides relief from constant coughing. If you are suffering from a dry cough, you should opt for a cough suppressant. Expectorants are used for treating wet cough. They are known for loosening the mucus so that it gets expelled from the body.
5. Throat lozengesYou can also carry throat lozenges in your medical kit to get relief from a cough and cold. Throat lozenges increase the production of saliva. As a result, it reduces dryness of the throat and temporarily stops coughs. Medicated throat lozenges contain antibacterial agents, painkillers, antitussives, menthol, pectin, and eucalyptus that provide relief from a cough and sore throat. There are various types of throat lozenges available in the market such as Halls, Strepsils and Honitus. If you are suffering from a cough and cold, you can have a lozenge every 3 hours to feel better.
6. Motion sickness tabletsMotion sickness tablets are one of the must-have items in travel medical kit. Motion sickness is a health condition that many people suffer when they are travelling by bus, car, flight or train. It makes a person feel uneasy and dizzy, which is often followed by vomiting. Therefore, when you are travelling, you must keep motion sickness tablets with you.
7. Diarrhoea MedicineWhen you are traveling, you can have traveler’s diarrhoea due to consumption of contaminated water or food. It is characterized by abdominal cramps and loose stools. So, it is essential to carry diarrhea medicine in your travel health kit. E.coli is the most common bacterium that causes traveler’s diarrhoea. Antidiarrheal medicines such as idodium are useful for treating diarrhea. You must be careful about what you are drinking and eating to prevent traveler’s diarrhoea. As it is a common health condition, diarrhea medicine is one of the must-have items in travel medical kit.
8. AntacidYou must carry antacid tablets or antacid syrup in your travel medical kit. It can neutralize the acidity of your stomach and give you relief from indigestion. Acidity is a common health condition that can occur due to various reasons. In order to get relief from heartburn and an upset stomach, you should carry antacid in your travel health kit. Some common antacids are Milk of Magnesia, Gelusil, Maalox, and Rolaids.
9. Antiseptic Solution and OintmentIf you get any injuries during your trip, you will need an antiseptic solution and ointment. Therefore, do not forget to pack them in your travel medical kit. You need to first cleanse the wound with an antiseptic solution. It will disinfect the skin and prevent it from infections. After cleaning it with an antiseptic solution, you need to apply an antiseptic ointment over the wound. The ointment helps in treating wounds and cuts. It will heal your damaged skin within a few days. Antiseptic solution and ointment can effectively treat cuts, insect bites, stings, and abrasions.
10. Band-aidsYou must carry a couple of band-aids in your medical kit. Band-aid is an adhesive bandage which is used for treating minor wounds and injuries. It prevents dirt and germs from entering the wound, thereby promoting faster healing. If you get a minor cut or blister, you can apply a band-aid to prevent infection.
11. Wound dressing itemsAlthough band-aid is suitable for minor wounds, it won’t be useful if there is a major injury. You cannot predict the events when you are traveling. There is no guarantee that you will get first aid immediately if you are wounded. Therefore, you must carry wound dressing items in your travel medical kit. Crepe bandage, medical adhesive tape, hydrogel or foam dressing, and gauze swabs are important items for dressing a major wound.
12. Insect Repellant CreamIt is important to carry an insect repellant cream when you are traveling. Some places have plenty of bugs and mosquitoes that can harm your health. Dengue and malaria are infectious diseases that are caused by mosquito bites. Choose an insect repellant that contains DEET (N, N-diethyl-m-toluamide). It is the most important ingredient that repels insects. An insect repellant cream will prevent you from insect-borne diseases and insect bites.
13. Mild LaxativeJust like motion sickness and traveler’s diarrhea, constipation is a common health condition that affects people while traveling. Constipation is characterized by difficult and painful bowel movements. Laxatives can treat constipation by softening the stools. So, you must carry a mild laxative in your travel health kit.
14. Antifungal or Antimicrobial CreamIt is wise to carry an antifungal or antimicrobial cream with you when you are traveling to a remote place. They contain ingredients that are effective in treating bacterial or fungal skin infections.
15. Multi-vitamin TabletA good multi-vitamin tablet can give you the much-needed energy on your trip. As your diet can suffer due to the hectic travel schedule, a multi-vitamin tablet can keep you energetic. You can have one tablet every day after taking your breakfast.
These are the must-have items in travel medical kit that you should not forget to pack. When you are packing your medical kit, go for more tablets than syrups. Choose a travel-friendly pouch that will hold all your medicines neatly. You should also carry a digital thermometer, a sunscreen cream, and scissors with you. Before going on your trip, visit your doctor for a checkup. Carry your prescription medicines along with the important items in travel medical kit.