The process for renewal or reissue of passport has become extremely convenient and user-friendly in India with the online Passport Seva website portal and even an app. The hassle of running around with physical documents has been reduced to a bare minimum.
How To Renew Passport Online: Procedure for Renewal of Passport
- If you are travelling to a foreign country, your visa must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival
- You may only apply for renewal 1 year before the date on which your passport is expiring
- The validity of the passport is decided by the Assistant Passport Officer and the maximum an Indian passport is valid for is up to 10 years at a time.
- Along with being able to renew your passport online through www.passportindia.gov.in, there is now an app, mPassport Seva, to pay, apply for and schedule appointments for the same.
- The steps to register on the website or the app are very simple and self-explanatory. You are required to fill some particulars and then schedule your appointment at the nearby Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or the Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK) by confirming your slot (day & date).
- You can reschedule your appointment, but if you do not visit the centre within 90 days of filling the form online, you will be required to fill the form again and pay the fees again too.
Documents Required for Renewal of Passport
- Old passport (Original)
- Self-attested copies of the following:
1. 1st and last 2 pages of the passportECR/non-ECR pages.In case you are applying for renewal of your SVP, you are required to visit the PSK and fill an application for the same. SVPs are issues in one of the following cases:
2. ECR page would apply to those who haven’t officially passed their 10th examination and the non-ECR page would apply to those who have officially passed their 10th board examination.
3. Page of Observation, (if any) excluding the 1st and last page related to any additional information or change made in the bio of the passport holder, such as their name, address, etc. made by the Passport Issuing Authority.
4. Validity Extension Page (if any) in a Short Validity Passport (SVP) Application Reference Number (ARN) received at the time of making online payment
- NRIs visiting India for short duration.
- Pending criminal cases.
- Students appearing for IELTS, SATs, TOEFL.
- Passport getting lost in transit.
How to Track Your Passport Renewal ApplicationThe real-time status of your passport can be tracked through the Passport Seva portal.
Step 1: Click on ‘Track Application Status’
Step 2: Select the appropriate Application Status option
Step 3: Enter your file number & your date of birth
How long does it take to get your passport?
The standard operating procedure states that if all documents are in place, one can get their passport within 30 days from the date of application.
Passport Renewal FeeThis amount varies from case to case. For example, in case you require a 36-page passport with 10 years of validity under the Normal Scheme and your age is above 18 years, it will cost you INR 1,500.
On the other hand, if you apply the same under Tatkaal scheme, it will cost you INR 3,500. Find below the cost under different scenarios:
|Category||Age Group||Validity||Number of Pages||Normal Scheme (INR)||Tatkaal Scheme (INR)|
|Minor||Less than 15 years of age||5 years||36||1,000||3,000|
|Minor||Between 15-18 years of age||5 years/ till 18 years of age||36||1,000||3,000|
|Minor||Between 15-18 years of age||10 years||36||1,500||3,500|
|Adult||Above 18 years of age||10 years||36||1,500||3,500|
|Adult||Above 18 years of age||10 years||60||2,000||4,000|
While you are not required to submit your original documents, carrying them along with the self-attested copies of the documents is a given. Make sure to be very careful in filling out your details, as if there’s any omission, correction, or addition required later, the process will have to be done again from scratch. Information such as your signature matching across all documents plays a critical too.