Listed below are all the airports in Maldives with their features and the airline companies operating.
International Airports in Maldives
1. Velana International Airport
Terminals: The airport has 3 terminals - one international, one domestic and another water dome for seaplane operations. In fact, the highest number of seaplane operations in the world happen to be from this airport in Maldives.
Transportation to and from the Airport: The capital island Male lies at a distance of 1km the airport and can be easily reached by ferry or speedboat. Ferries are the cheapest and cost around MVR 15 during the daytime when they are available at intervals of 10 to 15 minutes - a surcharge applies at night. On Fridays, however, these are available only till midnight. Ferries to other local islands are not available from the airport but only from Male island. If you are staying at a resort island, then speedboats or seaplanes are the only modes of transport, and these are available from the airport itself.
Airlines in operation: Some of the major flight carriers operating in the Male International Airport include Maldivian, Emirates, Air Asia, China Eastern Airlines, SriLankan Airlines, etc. These airlines connect the airports in Maldives to major cities of the world like Moscow, Kuala Lumpur, New Delhi, Hong Kong, Singapore, Colombo and also to other islands of the country like Fuvahmulah, Kooddoo, Thimarafushi, Dharavandhoo and others. Out of these, Maldivian and SriLankan Airlines have the maximum number of flight operations.
Services and facilities: Various types of services and facilities are available at the airport for passengers' convenience. These include ATMs, a branch of the Bank of Maldives, forex counters, pharmacy and health centre, free internet kiosks, baggage storage options, dutyfree shops and food and bite options.
Airport Codes: IATA - MLE and ICAO - VRMM
2. Gan International Airport
Terminals: The airport has 2 terminals - one is used for both domestic and international flight movements, and the other Executive Terminal is a private terminal used by the Shangri-La's Villingili Resort and Spa for its guests.
Transportation to and from the Airport: The primary transportation from the airport includes taxis. For moving to other resort islands, speedboats have to be used. All resorts and sometimes some guesthouses too arrange for transportation of their guests to and from the airport.
Airlines in operation: The airlines operating at the Gan International Airport include Flyme and Maldivian with flights to and from Male and other domestic islands like Fuvahmulah, Kooddoo, Kaadedhdhoo and Kadhdhoo. The only international flight carrier operating is SriLankan Airlines connecting Colombo.
Services and facilities: Some of the services and facilities available at the Gan International Airport include medical facilities, a restaurant and a prayer room for Muslims. Additional facilities in the Executive Terminal include free wifi, televisions and a lounge.
Serves: Addu City
Airport Codes: IATA - GAN and ICAO - VRMG
3. Hanimaadhoo International Airport
Airlines in operation: Maldivian is the only flight carrier operating in this airport, connecting Hanimaadhoo to Trivandrum in India and other islands of the Maldives such as Male, Dharavandhoo and Ifuru.
Serves: Haa Dhaalu
Airport Codes: IATA - HAQ and ICAO - VRMH
4. Villa International Airport
Airlines in operation: Flyme operates scheduled flights to and from various domestic destinations like Male, Gan, Dharavandhoo, Fuvahmulah, etc. Chartered seaplanes also operate from this airport.
Serves: Alifu Dhaalu
Airport Codes: IATA - VAM and ICAO - VRMV
Domestic Airports in Maldives
5. Dharavandhoo Airport
Airlines in operation: From Dharavandhoo, Flyme and Maldivian have around 8-9 flights daily to and from destinations like Male, Hanimaadhoo and Ifuru.
Serves: Baa Atoll
Airport Codes: IATA - DRV and ICAO - VRMD
6. Kadhdhoo Airport
Services and facilities: Some of the facilities available at the Kadhdhoo Airport include a restaurant, a lounge, a play area for children, mosques, and rooms for passengers to stay.
Airlines in operation: Flyme and Maldivian operate flights connecting some domestic destinations like Male, Gan, Kaadedhdhoo, Kooddoo, and some others.
Serves: Laamu Atoll
Airport Codes: IATA - KDO and ICAO - VRMK
7. Kaadedhdhoo Airport
Airlines in operation: This airport in Maldives has a limited number of flight operations. Maldivian is the only airline operating with flights connecting the islands of Male, Gan and the nearby Kadhdhoo.
Serves: Gaafu Dhaalu
Airport Codes: IATA - KDM and ICAO - VRMT
8. Fuvahmulah Airport
Airport Codes: IATA - FVM and ICAO - VRMR
9. Dhaalu AirportThe largest and also the newest domestic airport in Maldives, Dhaalu Airport was opened only as recently as 2017. It lies in Kudahuvadhoo Island, on land reclaimed from the lagoon. The airport is owned by Reollo Investments Pvt Ltd and operated by Dhaalu Airport Holdings. It has a pretty large runway that is designed to handle large flights and uses solar energy in some of its operations. The airport has food and bites options, a shop and a VIP lounge for its passengers.
Airlines in operation: Flights connecting the islands of Male, Kaadedhdhoo, Kadhdhoo and Gan, operated by Maldivian, are available from this airport.
Serves: Dhaalu Atoll
Airport Codes: IATA - DDD and ICAO - VRMU
10. Thimarafushi Airport
Serves: Thaa Atoll
Airport Codes: IATA - TMF and ICAO - VRNT
11. Kooddoo AirportAnother domestic airport in Maldives, Kooddoo Airport was opened in 2012. It lies on Kooddoo Island, Gaafu Alifu Atoll, nearly 384 km south of Male. It is owned by a private company named Bonavista Maldives Pvt Ltd and operated by the Island Aviation Services. Maldivian has flights connecting Kooddoo to Male, Gan and Kadhdhoo.
Serves: Gaafu Alifu
Airport Codes: IATA - GKK and ICAO - VRMO
12. Ifuru AirportIfuru Airport is a small domestic airport located on the island of Ifuru in Raa Atoll, 177 km north of Male. It was built by the Coastline Investments in 2015 to connect all the islands in the Raa Atoll and Noonu Atoll to the capital. The airport is now operated by the Island Aviation Services. From Ifuru, Male and Dharavandhoo airports can be reached by flights operated by Maldivian.
Airport Codes: IATA - IFU and ICAO - VREI