What makes it easy is the means of commute and connectivity. It is well connected both domestically and internationally with airports and makes travel completely hassle-free. Here’s a list of airports in Thailand which are busy all around the year due to tourist attractions-
1. Suvarnabhumi International AirportIt is traditionally named ‘Suvarnabhumi’ which means ‘The Golden Land’. The newly opened airport (opened in 2006) is Bangkok’s largest airport handling almost all international, long haul flights as well as a large number of domestic flights. It is supposedly Thailand’s as well as Asia’s busiest airport taking into consideration the number of tourists visiting Bangkok. This airport is a prime airport in Bangkok as compared to the other international airport. The airlines serving Suvarnabhumi include British Airways, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Japan Airlines, Air China, Air France, Bangkok Airways and Lufthansa.
Address: 999 Bangna, Trad Road, Racha Thewa Subdistrict, Bang Phli District, Bangkok, Thailand.
Distance: It is located 30 kilometers east of Bangkok city. It takes an hour long to get to and from the airport.
Terminals: It has two domestic arrival terminals and one international arrival area.
Services and facilities: Currency exchange kiosks, ATM’s, free WI-FI, car rentals, taxi booking counters, duty-free stores, restaurants and cafes, and souvenir shops. It has an exclusive hotel facility in the airport itself. The Novotel Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport is a luxurious hotel offering a great selection of rooms as well as all high-end amenities for guests in transit.
2. Don Mueang International AirportDon Mueang is the oldest running airport in Thailand or Asia, so to say. It closed down soon after the opening of Suvarnabhumi international airport, but it reopened again. It is smaller in size as compared to Suvarnabhumi. It was required due to the heavy inflow of tourists into the city. Thus, it serves quite a several international and domestic flight inputs ever since it opened again. Most of the private jets are stationed and fly into Don Mueang. About fifteen airlines in total use this airport. AirAsia, Nok Air, Thai Lion Air are the frequented airways of Don Mueang. It has domestic inflows and mostly serves low-cost airlines.
Address: 222 Vibhavadi Rangsit Rd, Khwaeng Sanambin, Khet Don Mueang, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon , Thailand.
Distance: Don Mueang is at a distance of 25 kilometers from the city of Bangkok and it is nearly a 40-minute drive from the airport.
Terminal: It has two terminals, Terminal 1 is used for international flights and Terminal 2 is used for domestic flights.
Services and facilities: ATM’S, currency exchange, duty-free shops, fast food outlets, cafes, car rentals, and transport bookings. The hotel available at the airport is the one and only Amari Don Muang Hotel which is connected by an air-conditioned walkway for convenience for passengers in transit.
3. Phuket International AirportIt is claimed as the busiest airport after Suvarnabhumi airport in Thailand due to the uprising tourist influx and the beautiful tourist destination. It serves a large number of airlines varying from low-cost ones like Silk Air, Air Asia to high-end luxurious airways. Airport transfer options like taxis, buses, and limousines are available. Despite being small in size, the airport is one of the most well-designed ones in Thailand.
Address: Mai Khao, Thalang District, Phuket, Thailand.
Distance: Phuket airport is just about 32 kilometers from the city hub that is it takes about an hour to reach via a taxi.
Terminals: The airport has two terminal buildings, one for the international airlines while the other for domestic flights.
Services and facilities: business area, lounge facilities, lost and found, car rentals and car parking, ATM’s, duty-free shops, medical facilities, and free WI-FI. The restaurants here serve authentic Thai food which you would relish. There is a travel agency facility stationed at the airport in case one needs tourism guidance for Phuket.
4. Utapao Rayong-Pattaya International AirportIf you are travelling to the city of beaches and resorts- Pattaya, the gateway is the U-tapao international airport in Thailand which is the only airport Pattaya has, and it is also a Royal Thai Navy Air Station. It serves both local as well as international airlines. It is one of the fastest airports in the world with some hi-tech facilities. It is the closest international airport to Bangkok (one hundred and forty kilometres South East of Bangkok), and Bangkok’s large tourist influx makes it easier for this airport to serve as another destination route to other parts of Thailand.
Address: 2 Sukhumvit Rd, Tambon Phla, Amphoe Ban Chang, Chang Wat Rayong, Pattaya, Thailand.
Distance: U-Tapao airport is around a forty-minute drive from Pattaya’s city center.
Terminal: With the existing terminal, a new terminal has been the recent development of the airport allowing an inflow of more than 3 million passengers around the year.
Services and facilities: car rentals, car parking, an internet café, coffee shops and restaurants, postal service, lost and found, souvenir shop, currency exchange, and medics. The hotels and tour desk facility available helps one get hotels and travel information in and around the city of Pattaya.
5. Samui AirportSamui airport serves the island of Koh Samui. It is a magnet to many tourists due to its opulent resorts and magnificent beaches. One will love the airport as it has beautiful teak decors. Buses, taxis and sea connections are available at the airport. Thai Airways has launched direct domestic and international flights to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Phuket, and Bangkok are available from here, making an easy connect.
Address: Bo Put, Ko Samui District, Surat Thani, Ko Samui, Thailand.
Distance: It is located 2 kilometres north of Chaweng town.
Terminal: The airport has two terminals, one for domestic and one for international arrivals and departures.
Service and facilities: Currency exchange, ATM’s, SIM cards, restaurants, cafés, SPA and massage parlour, souvenir shops, book stores, duty-free shops, prayer room and car rental and car parking facility. The airport also has two business lounges called Blue Ribbon Lounge with WI-FI access.
6. Krabi AirportKrabi is another famous spot for tourists in Thailand due to its picturesque locations and beaches. This airport in Thailand operates airlines from Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur regularly. It also operates from Darwin and Singapore. Airport transfers include taxis, buses, and car rentals or vehicles pre-booked with the hotel.
Address: Nuea Khlong, Nuea Khlong district, Krabi, Thailand.
Distance: The airport is at a distance of 15 kilometres from the city hub and it takes about 20-30 minutes to reach the airport via taxi.
Terminal: The airport has one terminal for domestic airlines and one for international travels. The distance is not too much so one can just easily walk up to the other terminal.
Services and Facilities: restaurants and coffee shops, fast food outlets, ATM’s, currency exchange, information desk, luggage inquiry, and prayer rooms. There is a tour and travel kiosk to help you and guide you through any travel requirements through Krabi. Souvenir shops are available to take back mementoes and gifts back home.
7. Surat Thani International AirportIt is a small airport but occupied around the year due to its commercial base. The airport serves the military as it is an active RTAF hub. There are taxis, buses and shared minivans transportation options at the arrival exit zone. One can rent a car from the airport as well. There are both domestic and international airlines serving the airport.
Address: 73, Hua Toei, Amphoe Phunphin, Chang Wat Surat Thani, Thailand.
Distance: It is 21 kilometers from Surat Thani’s city center and takes about one hour to get to the airport.
Terminal: The airport has a single terminal with one runway.
Services and facilities: There is a mini library at the airport which attracts a lot of travelers to spend their time reading. Very rarely do airports have this facility. It may be small, but basic facilities like ATM’s, WI-FI, duty-free shops for shopping, souvenir gift shop, and two food outlets.
8. Chiang Mai International AirportThis airport in Thailand acts as the main port linking Thailand with China, South Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, and Singapore. Airport transfers are very convenient with easy commute options like taxis, buses and airport transfers. It serves more than 15,000 flights all around the year holding a capacity of more than 2 million passengers. It is one of the busiest airports in Thailand.
Address: 60 Mahidol Rd, Su Thep, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Distance: It is located 3 kilometers southwest of the Old City.
Terminal: The airport has two conjoined terminals.
Services and facilities: The airport has modern facilities with ATM’s, money exchange, information kiosks, car rentals, tour and travel desk, Thai restaurants serving delicious Thai food, and cafes with WI-FI. There is a lounge The Coral Executive Lounge located in the international terminal of the airport with luxurious facilities. There are duty-free shops as well as shops selling local handicrafts, fresh produce and silk items for which Chiang Mai is famous for.
9. Hat Yai International AirportThe city of Hat Yai in Thailand is for both leisure and business. It is not as frequent as others, but it does have a considerable inflow of travellers. The airport serves more than a million passengers around the year. Three major airlines are serving internationally. It is said to be the major southern hub airport of Thailand. There are commuting facilities available at the airport, like taxi kiosks. There are bus and hotel transportation also available to move into the city.
Address: 99 Moo- 3 Sanambin roads, Khlong La, Chang Wat Songkhla, Hat Yai, Thailand.
Distance: It is 15 kilometers away from the city center and takes about a 20-30 minute drive to the city.
Terminal: Hat Yai International airport has one terminal only.
Services and Facilities: ATM’s, currency exchange, prayer rooms, restaurants, fast food outlets, dessert shops, information desks, medical facilities and Spa’s. The airport has a VIP and a prime Thai Royal Orchid Business Lounge too for conferences and business purposes with WI-FI as well. It is built with all modern amenities and services.
10. Chiang Rai International AirportChiang Mai is a hub in Northern Thailand, and it invites a lot of tourists and traders around the year. This airport in Thailand is another of the busiest airports of Thailand.it serves three international routes- HongKong, Haikou Meilan and Kunming Changshui. The airport has good connectivity to other cities of Thailand as well as in-town transportation. Buses, Taxis, and tuk-tuks are available just outside the airport. Car rental kiosks are also stationed at the airport if you want to rent a car.
Address: 404 moo 4 Ban Du – Rim Kok Ban Du – Rim Kok Amphoe ChangWat Chiang Rai, Thailand.These are the busiest airports in Thailand and the ones that attract the most number of tourists. Thailand is such a charming destination; it is naturally crowded throughout the year. But the airports are well managed, efficient and will ensure a smooth journey without any hassles. So rest assured as when you travel to Thailand, it is a well-connected country and that you will not have to worry much about your journeys. Happy Travelling!
Distance: Chiang Rai is at a distance of 8 kilometers from the airport and it takes approximately half an hour to the city if you drive.
Terminal: It has one terminal only.
Services and facilities: ATM’s, foreign currency exchange, food joints, bakeries, meditation room, and prayer rooms are available. There is a book shop for the book nerds stationed at the airport as well. There is a spa for those who want to relax and take a massage before taking a long flight.