Weather :

Time Required : 1 hour

Entry Fee : No Entry Fee

Timings : 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Siang Cho Keong Temple, Singapore Overview

The sacred Taoist temple Siang Cho Keong Temple, sitting in a quiet corner of Amory Lane in Singapore, was established in 1867 by the local Hokkien Community. Formerly known as Zhi Yun Miao, the humble sanctuary was built on its chosen site because it is resembled good feng shui, with a sea in front and a hill behind this holy structure, and has stood on the same location. The Siang Cho Keong Temple is usually overlooked by many since it does not draw a lot of attention as compared to the other Chinese temples in Singapore. However, it can be considered as one of the most underrated temples in the Lion City.

Several idols have been installed at Siang Cho Keong Temple, including the presiding deity, Tua Pek Kong, the God of prosperity. Apart from that, the idols of Lu Fu Xian Zu, one of the Eight Immortals in Chinese mythology, Guanyin, Jin Qian Bo, Wen Guan and Wu Jiang are also present here among others. This place of worship receives visitors on a daily basis. However, it is the liveliest in the afternoons, when people come in to offer their prayers and light incense sticks to express their devotion to the deities.

Photos of Siang Cho Keong Temple

+ 1
photos

Read More on Siang Cho Keong Temple

Architecture of Siang Cho Keong Temple

The Taoist place of worship was built in the Hokkien architectural style, characterized by its swallowtail roof and cut porcelain carving. The roof of this temple has curved ridges which protrude outwards like the tail of the swallow, hence the name "swallowtail". The roof tiles are made of clay and are not glazed. The main gate has intricate carvings, adding to the unique charm of this holy abode.

A pair of lions sits at the entrance of the temple, a common feature among many Chinese temples, adding to the grandeur of the place. On the left of the entrance, you will find a dragon well where several believers make a wish after dropping a coin in it.

History

Abbot Zheng Ming, the founder of this beautiful temple, had carried the idol of Lu Fu Xian Zu, one of the Eight Immortals, from the Fujian Province. The site of the temple was chosen in accordance to good feng shui, and this place of worship was built in such a way that its front faced the sea, while the Ann Siang Hill stood at its back. In order to build this temple, many people had donated large amounts of money to its founder, Abbot Zheng Ming. The largest donor was Lin Ying Duan, while the founders of the Bukit Brown Cemetery (originally known as the Seh Ong Sua) also contributed. However, as time passed, the area around the temple underwent several land reclamations and the shore moved farther as a result of each of these activities, causing the temple to stop facing the sea in the end. The temple, as it stands today, was completed in 1969, before which this magnificent structure had undergone three major renovations in the years 1908, 1937 and 1966 respectively.

Tips

  • Photography and videography are prohibited in this place.
  • On the first and the fifteenth days of the Lunar month, the opening hours are from 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM.
  • On the birthdays of Tua Pek Kong and Siang Cho, the temple remains open from 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM.
  • Amory Street is a well-connected area and has a number of food joints around it. The Cho-Won Garden Korean Restaurant, One Fork Two Stick Kitchen, and the Chinatown Seafood Restaurant are some of the eating places you can hop by after visiting the temple.

Singapore Packages

Compare quotes from upto 3 travel agents for free

Top Hotels In Singapore

View 61 Packages