This octagonal pagoda called Lim Bo Seng Memorial is gazetted as a national monument that commemorates one of the Singapore's heroes that were fallen during the Second World War. Located in the Esplanade Park, this memorial was installed in 1954, to glorify the late Lim Bo Seng for his selfless sacrifices and altruistic acts during World War II. This is the only war memorial that commemorates an individual's contribution in World War II.
Lim's first grave landmark had been a humble wooden cross which was later decided to be replaced by a more eminent and permanent installation in 1948, but couldn't do so due to inadequate funds. However, in 1952, the Lim Bo Seng Committee raised funds that were sufficient to build a strong concrete structure as a memorial. It was completed in 1954, and its unveiling was done by Sir Charles Loewen who was the then Commander-in-chief of the far east forces.
This was done in the presence of Lim's wife, children and members of the Force 136. It was held at the 10th death anniversary of Major-General Lim Bo Seng. Later, on the 15th anniversary, Lim Bo Seng's eldest son and daughter, with several others, laid wreaths at the Memorial at the Esplanade Park and at the tomb of his memorial at MacRitchie Reservoir. Finally, on 28th December 2010, Lim Bo Seng's memorial was gazetted as a national monument.
Compare quotes from upto 3 travel agents for free
No reviews yet
Be the first to add a question