Ayurveda in KeralaKerala, God's own state, possesses a tradition of Ayurveda that has time and again proven to be more effective than native and foreign medicines. Back in the 1600s, the Ayurveda Vaidyas (the ones who practised Ayurveda in ancient times) was the only solution for people looking out for cures for any disease in Kerala. The entire state was treated by the families of Vaidyas, known as Ashta vaidyas, who were also considered legendary, and their successors. While other states in India prefer allopathy as their primary solution, Kerala has a different story to narrate. Here, Ayurveda is mainstream. In present times, Kerala, by far, is the only state in India which practices Ayurveda with pure dedication. The Vaidyars in the state evolved the practices of Ayurveda over a period, making the protocols more effective than before.
Famous Rejuvenation Therapies Practiced in Kerala Ayurveda
This is the primary solution in Ayurveda for slowing down the ageing process by immunising the system and arresting the degeneration of the body cells. The programme, based on the Swethakarma and Panchakarma treatment involves giving an exceptional Ayurvedic medicine, Rasayana for the treatment. Body Sudation (Sweda Karma): Swedana karma includes various techniques that induce sweating. Thermodynamic changes in the body do this. First, it increases heart rate and blood pressure for a short period. Following that, it can also lower the systolic blood pressure levels. This is done mainly to improve blood circulation and to remove toxic substances from the body through the process of sweating.
1. Body Immunization and Longevity Treatment (Kayakalpa Chikitsa)
2. Body Slimming and Weight LossSlimming programmes are broad. Some involve drinking lots of water and fresh fluids along with a nutritious diet; others include medicated herbal oil and powder massages, medicated steam bath, intake of herbal teas, adhering to a proper sleep cycle and exercising daily.
3. Beauty care
To give a beautiful lustre to the skin, massage is an easy method as it maintains a proper circulation of vital fluids Beauty care includes applying herbal face packs on skin, herbal cream massage, massage with special fruit juices and oils, head pack, bodypack, herbal or steam bath and intake of nutritious fluids. The treatment is best known for improving skin tone, muscle tone, and skin complexion.
4. De-stressThe modern lifestyle exposes one's body and mind to a lot of tension and stress. Destressing programmes combine Ayurveda therapy, along with Yoga and meditation to help attain a relaxed state of mind. This includes rejuvenation massages, therapy, thalam, njavarkizhi, dhara, herbal steam bath and pack, herbal medicines etc.
5. Yoga and MeditationYoga has numerous benefits, including physical and mental rejuvenation, prolonged existence, increased focus, avoiding diseases, and mental endurance. Yoga, linked with the principles of Ayurveda has various benefits in their therapeutic use.
6. Panchakarma TreatmentThe Panchakarma treatment deals with the overall rejuvenation of the body and includes body massages ( hand and foot) with medicated creams and oils, medicines and steam baths. This therapy unwinds the mind, body and soul, tones up the skin, and strengthens the immune system to achieve the ideal state of health.
Kerala Ayurveda Treatments
1. Kaya Chikitsa
Kayachikitsa is the first branch of Astanga Ayurveda, more commonly known as the eight-branched Ayurveda. It deals with general medicine. The procedure is referred to Kaya Chikitsa. Herein, kaya translates to 'body' and chikitsa means 'treatment'. This practice deals with a range of general diseases, mainly skin disorders, tuberculosis, diabetes, arthritis, rheumatoid and others.
2. Shalya ChikitsaWhen you think of surgery, the advanced technology, science, and state of the art pieces of equipment are what first comes to mind. But not many know that Ayurveda introduced surgery long before medical science did. Shalya Chikitsa provided relief when other medicines failed.
3. Graha Chikitsa
Graha Chikitsa concerns with the diseases acquired or inherited from causes unknown. This branch of Ayurveda deals explicitly with psychological conditions or more commonly known as the diseases of the mind. It is believed that this can be caused by the invasion of evil spirits or supernatural forces.
4. Damshitra Chikitsa
Damshitra Chikitsa deals with the removal of toxins by the cleansing of the immune system. This is done by taking in healthy and nutritious food. The toxins include air and water pollution, vegetables, and minerals.
5. Bala Chikitsa
Bala Chikitsa deals with the care of children. The treatment helps parents right from the birth of the child till teenage and covers all aspects. This mainly includes maintaining a proper immune system and making sure the child's growth is normal at all stages. The treatment also focuses on the mother's health during the early life of the child.
6. Jara Chikitsa
Jara Chikitsa deals with maintaining health for longer life. Ayurveda believes that the Ojo (life force) can be increased with the help of Rasayana, the process of slowing down ageing.
7. Vrishya Chtikitsa
Vrishya Chtikitsa is a branch of Ayurveda that explains the creation of a better society by producing healthy progeny. Infertility and conditions relating to weak Shukra dhatu, more commonly known as the vital reproductive fluids of the body are the various diseases that this branch deals with.
The Advantages of Kerala AyurvedaThe use of Ayurveda is seldom anywhere in the world as compared to Kerala, where Ayurveda was born. Many scholars consider an advantage over the fact Vaidyars in Kerala is proficient in this most contemporary treatise of Ayurveda. Kashaya Chikitsa, the treatment with the concoction, now involves hundreds of scientifically classified Kashayams in Kerala available for various treatment needs. They were also the first ones to focus on Abayangam's antioxidant properties that lead to the profusion of kizhis. Kerala is also home to the most significant number of Ayurveda colleges. In addition to this, the state also has the most significant amount of practitioners in comparison to any other place in the world. This tradition has turned ancient Ayurveda research into a scientific one in Kerala.
Best Time For An Ayurvedic Treatment in KeralaThe best time to do an Ayurveda treatment would be when the need arises, especially if it's for some particular disease or ailment. In this case, waiting for a specific time would only worsen the problem.
There are treatments which depend on a particular season or ritu. For instance, Vamana Karma, generally suggested for maintenance of health is supposed to be done in Vasant Ritu (Spring) and Virechan Karma is suggested in Sharad Ritu (Autumn). One has to keep in mind other factors which come into play before starting the treatment. In some cases, the treatment can only be taken by some specific people during a particular season.
It is believed that the most popular time to come to Kerala for an Ayurveda treatment is in Karkidakam, the last month of Malayalam calendar, which falls in between July or August. The beginning of Pravrt Ritu (the monsoons), is the time when all the three doshas in the body are said to be vitiated.
That being said, there are no official dates for any treatment. It is entirely upon the choice of the person taking the treatment. Prices are hiked in July and August, and it is also the time the weather is damp. You're likely to get more discounts if you visit from March to May.
Best Places for Ayurveda Treatments in Kerala
1. Kairali Ayurvedic Health ResortBook This Resort Located amidst 50 acres of lush green land, Kairali Ayurvedic Health Resort is one of the best in Kerala. Situated in the Palakkad district, a river stream passes through each cottage housed in here. The Resort provides just vegetarian food and alcohol is strictly prohibited inside the premises. A routine here begins with an early morning meditation followed by yoga sessions. The serene natural atmosphere adds to the calm mood that sets when you walk in here. There is a range of Ayurvedic packages to choose from, which starts from INR 10,000 (depending on the type of package you prefer). A minimum stay of 3 nights is also required.
Address: Olassery, Kodumbu, Palakkad, India 678551
Email: [email protected]
2. Beach and Lake Ayurvedic ResortBook This Resort
The Beach and Lake Ayurvedic Resort, located just 8 kilometres south of the Trivandrum airport offers peaceful surroundings with breathtaking natural beauty. Nestled on an island between the Karamana River and the Arabian Sea, the property consists only of 8 rooms, promising a more private and intimate. The views here are splendid. On one side of the resort lies backwaters and on the other side, a beach. Qualified doctors, excellent food and top class services add on to your leisure at this wellness resort. The experts here use all relevant Vedic healing treatments to help you achieve the ideal health. While they use, nutrition, herbs and most therapies from Ayurveda, they also prefer yoga for integrating your mind and body as well as for more profound healing through Kalari Payattu. Open throughout the year; the resort offers excellent benefits and massive discounts during the monsoon season, especially from June to July. For cost and packages, visit the website mentioned below.
Address: Pozhikkara Beach, Pachalloor, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695027
Phone: +914712382086, +914712383066 Mobile: +91 9400812086
Email: [email protected] / [email protected]
3. Kalari Kovilakom
Awareness, Mindfulness, an inward integration of the body and a therapeutic engagement of all senses, mind, and spirit. Therese are few of the many aspects of the Ayurvedic healing process that one gains at Kalari Kovilakom, Kerala. Keeping in mind the culture and rich history of Ayurveda in Kerala, the wellness centre is designed to deliver just the right kind of services that will leave a lasting impression in mind. Certified by National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers, the centre sticks to traditional standards and values of Ayurveda and uses only the superior quality equipment for the treatments to deliver you what you deserve, the best. The primary services offered here are Cleansing and Rejuvenation, Weight Management, Specific Ailments, Anti Stress, and Healthy Aging. You can contact them via phone to know more about their services and prices.
Address: Payyallur, Kollengode, Palakkad, Kerala 678506
Phone: 04923 305 500
4. Athreya Ayurvedic CentreBook This Resort Located in Kottayam, the Athreya Ayurvedic Centre is a place of retreat for the ones seeking a genuine and memorable experience for the well-being of mind, body, and soul. With a combination of today's possibilities of medical sciences yet with a focus on authentic Ayurveda, people over at Athreya make sure that you have a good time. It is a place to be at if you are looking for treatments under the prevention of disease, detox and wellness, and cure for a health concern. Their packages start from INR 8,000 for single occupancy and INR 13,000 for double occupancy.
Address: Pakkil P. O., Pallom, Kottayam, Kerala, India
Phone: +919072721727 , 7034071717
E-mail: [email protected], [email protected]
5. Sarovaram Ayurvedic ResortA family-owned Ayurveda Health Center, Sarovaram is managed by highly skilled Ayurvedic doctors and experienced employees of the present generation. They provide well equipped Kerala style cottages in a lush green garden situated on the banks of Ashtamudi Lake. Sarovaram manufactures its authentic Ayurvedic ingredients and medicines, and quality is their number one priority. Located on the banks of Ashtamudi Lake in Kerala, the resort is easily accessible from Kollam (10 kilometres), from Trivandrum (80 kilometres) and Cochin (65 Kilometers)
Address: Ayurvedic Backwater Health Center, Ashtamudi Kollam, Kerala, India
Email: [email protected], [email protected]
Mob: +91-9447774686 (Reservation Manager), 91-474-2704686
6. The Travancore HeritageBook This Resort
A seaside resort located at Choawra (towards the south of Kovalam), The Travancore Heritage stands in 15 acres of land surrounded by lush greenery. Situated high on a cliff, the resort offers spectacular views of the Arabian Sea and stretches of white sand beaches. The resort brings to life the age-old traditional architectural splendour of Kerala. The Ayurvedic centre over at The Travancore Heritage keeps alive the 5000-year-old traditions by providing top class therapeutic packages. These include rejuvenation therapies, beauty care, and various clinical packages.
Address: Chowara P.O., Trivandrum, Kerala, India 695501
Ph: +91 471 2229600 to 99
Email: reservation@thetravancore heritage.com, info@thetravancore heritage.com
7. Somatheeram Ayurvedic Health ResortBook This Resort
The ancient teachings of Ayurveda form the most important parts of Indian culture. And they also form the cornerstone of Somatheeram Ayurvedic Health Resort, the first of its kind to popularise Ayurvedic teachings beyond the Indian borders by opening resorts in the UK, US, France, Italy, and Germany. To make your experience as tranquil and joyous it can be, the resort is established in a tropical garden with cottage-style accommodations with a lovely view of the Arabian Sea. They have put together various packages as selected treatment regimes. Body purification, body slimming, body immunisation, beauty care, and more packages are available to choose from. You can choose from their tariff plans whether you want a package as per night basis, 14 days basis or 28 days basis.
Address: Somatheeram Ayurvedic Health Resort, South of Kovalam, Trivandrum.
Fax: +91 471 22 665 05
Phone: +91 471 22 665 01 /02 /03
Email: [email protected]
8. Ayurveda Yoga VillaAyurveda Yoga Villa is a unique place located on the banks of River Kabini where you can experience the best of ancient Indian traditions. They cover everything, from Ayurveda, Yoga, Meditation to Kalari. Be it a specific treatment like beauty enhancement or body rejuvenation or want to relieve the modern life stress, Ayurveda Yoga Villa can offer you the best wellness experience possible according to your health, budget and time. Packages start from 65,000 (for seven days)
Address: Ayurveda Yoga Villa Palvelichem, Bavali PO, Kartikulam, Wayanad district, Kerala, South India, PIN: 670646
Phone: +91 81570 11347
Email: [email protected]
The conceptual and operational framework of Ayurveda includes all that is essential to make someone healthy and happy and the salubrious climate of Kerala has made external rejuvenation and purification therapies most useful for the treatment of many disease and disorders. For the record, by the regular practice of the scheme of Yoga, Pranayam, and Natural medication, Ayurveda can help treat the destructive diseases of Asthma, Cancer, Parkinson's disease, Dementia, Herpes, Depression and much more! These were benefits for the sick, for you healthy people; it comprehends numerous other factors to a more peaceful life. Firstly, the program will defeat stress and anxiety, being the cause of maximum illness. By the strict diets of Ayurveda, you might accomplish a low Cholesterol level and a regulated Blood sugar level. The diet will help you in weight loss and fill up your body with lacking antioxidants and increase the overall immunity.
What your tablets and capsules are incompetent to do, a simple change of air and diet might just be your way out. For that, Kerala is your spot! The green herbs, blue beaches, and refreshing air make it an overall treatment package itself! Visit once and relieve yourself from the heavy stress piled up for all those past years.