Following are the 16 Major Railway Stations in Kerala:
1. Ernakulam Junction South (ERS)
2. Thiruvananthapuram Central Station (TVC)
Trains connect Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) to other major cities in India. The station also has some amenities for its Travellers like bookshops, refreshment stalls, accommodations, Internet browsing spots. It was the first station in the state to install video surveillance. The station is going under development and is to be converted into a station of world-class standards. Around a kilometre away from the station are Methan Mani and Vetti Muricha Kotta, 4,5 kilometres away is the Thiruvananthapuram Zoo where one can reach by foot or by hiring taxis or rickshaws.
3. Ernakulam Town Station (ERN)Ernakulam Town Station (also known as Ernakulam North) is an important station in the city of Kochi. The station has been given an 'A Grade' title. It is operated by the Southern Railway Zone of India (under Thiruvananthapuram Railway division). People often refer to the Ernakulam North station as simply 'North' to distinguish it from the Ernakulam Junction Station that is situated in the south. The station has two platforms and is suitable for travellers wishing to travel the north side of Kochi. It is situated in the northern part of the city and is the stopping point for trains going towards mainly to Kottayam side in the south. There are over a hundred trains that stop here. Ernakulam Town Station also has public transportation facilities that offer good connectivity in the city. The bird sanctuary and Marine Drive Ground are situated 2.4 kilometres from the station.
4. Angamaly Station (AFK)26 kilometres away from the Ernakulam town and 10 kilometres away from the Aluva station lies Angamaly railway station in Ernakulam District of Kerala State in India operated by Southern Railway Network. Although no trains currently originate from here, soon a rail to Sabarimala is starting from here. Currently all passenger trains and few express trains passing the station halt here. The rail station lies in the Shoranur-Cochin Harbour section of Trivandrum division. The Cochin International Airport has located just 5.6 kilometres away from the station where a taxi can be taken.
5. Chalakudi Railway Station (CKI)In Chalakudy lies the Chalakudi railway station that is situated between Irinjalakuda railway station and Divine Nagar railway station - both high in passenger traffic. Chalakudi railway station lies in the Shoranur-Cochin Harbour section in Thrissur district and is operated by the Southern Railways of the Indian Railways. The station is second largest after the Thrissur railway station in the district. It is classified as an 'A' class station and declared as an "Adarsh" (ideal) station. The station has three platforms. Even though the station was declared as a model station in 2012, more development is yet to be carried out. Kathuka Park, a famous animal park, is only 7.2 kilometres away from the station and can be easily reached via cabs.
6. Charvattur Railway Station (CHV)Charvattur railway station (also known as Cheruvathur railway station) is located in the Kasaragod district of Kerala. It comes under the Shorarur-Mangalore line and is operated by the Southern Railway Zone of India. The station has three platforms. However, the station has still not been electrified. Hosdurg Fort is a famous tourist attraction which is located 14.6 km away from the station. Tourists can take a bus to Kanhagad and walk 20 minutes from there to reach the fort or take a direct taxi from the station and reach the fort in 20 minutes.
7. Aluva Railway Station (AWY)
8. Guruvayur Station (GUV)
9. Trivandrum Pettah (TVP)Located only 2.5 kilometres away from the Thiruvananthapuram Central Station is the Trivandrum Pettah Station (also known as Thiruvananthapuram Pettah Station) for inter city trains. The Southern Railway Zone of the Indian operates the station Railways.
Many trains - express or passenger, stop at this station. Pulanur Pass, Trivandrum Express, Malabar Express, Venad Express, Kanyakumari Express and more trains pass daily from the station. The station has an auto and taxi stand right outside and a good bus connectivity to other parts if the cities making it easier for travellers to commute. Most of the trains coming from the north stop here. Just 550 meters from the station is the Pettah Shiv Temple.
10. Chengannur Station (CNGR)Chengannur Station, located right in the centre in Chengannur, Kerala, is one of the busiest stations mostly due to the travellers going to Sabarimala pilgrims. The station has been given the title of 'Gateway of Sabarimala' by Indian Railways in the year 2009. The station serves three districts - Kollam, Alappuzha and Pathanamthitta. The station has three platforms and five tracks. It also has a bus stand, taxi stand, rickshaw stand and a private bus stand.
The Station is going under constant development. Currently, lifts and escalators are being installed. A new track is also proposed to be started. Even though no trains originate from here, a total of 87 trains that halt here because of the high passenger demand. 45 kilometres to the west of the station is Amaze world, a famous amusement park, 9 kilometres north is Sree Vallabha Temple and 36 kilometres southeast is the Konni Elephant Reserve.
11. Thrippunithura Station (TRTR)Located at Karingachira in Thrippunithura (a suburban area of Ernakulam town) is the Thrippunithura railway station. The station has a total of two platforms and lies in between Thiruvananthapuram Central Station and Ernakulam South Station. The Station is important to the district of Idukki since this is the closest station for people travelling to and from Idukki. The station is also located near prominent areas like Kochi, InfoPark and some temples and industries as well. Around 30 trains that go to other cities in Kerala and some even to important cities of India like Mumbai and Chennai halt here.
On the east side of the station are the Thanneerchal Park, Hill Palace and Deer Park at a distance of 2.5 kilometres from the station. On the west side of the station are the Sree Poornathrayeesa Temple and Thamaramkulangara Sree Dharma Sastha Temple at a distance of around 2 kilometres. All these places can be reached using road transport.
12. Kazhakkoottam Railway Station (KZK)Located at Kazhakoottam, the railway station lies in the city of Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, under the Thiruvananthapuram railway division of the Southern Railway Zone of Indian Railways. The station is 2.7 kilometres from the city centre. The station has three platforms, and around 20 trains halt here. The station is located in proximity to many places like Techno Park, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre, Kinfra Film etc. The station also has godowns of Food Corporation of India (FCI).
13. Vatakara Railway Station (BDJ)
14. Bekal Fort Railway Station (BFR)
15. Pudukad Railway Station (PUK)Pudukad Railway Station is a small station in the town of Pudukad, Thrissur district, Kerala. The station has two platforms and not more than 20 trains halting here. Passenger trains like Edamann - Guruvayur Pass, Ernakulam - Nilambur Pass and express trains like Island Express, Parasuram Express halt here. The station is a regular simple station with no extra facilities. Kurumalikkavu Temple (2 km station) Nenmanikkarra temple and Mahadev temple (2.8 km from the station) can be reached by road.
16. Payyanur Railway Station (PAY)Payyanur railway station is situated in Payyanur town in district Kannur, Kerala. The station has three platforms and four tracks. The Southern Railway Zone of India operates it. The station has many trains halting here that connects this town to important cities of India. The station has gained importance, as the Indian Naval Academy is situated 5 kilometres away from the station.
The Ezhimala Hill is 10 kilometres from the station, and Valiyaparamba Beach is 4.7 kilometres away. Both of these places can be reached by hiring a taxi. The rail connectivity for both intercity travel and interstate travel is well integrated into Kerala and makes it easier for folks to reach Kerala easily by train.