This is exactly the feeling that you will have after reading about these 13 most forbidden places in the world. Read on and be prepared to feel intrigued by the secrets that are impossible to understand.
1. Lascaux Caves, FranceThe Lascaux Cave is a treasure trove for archaeologists around the globe. The cave complex contains pre-historic paintings that are 17,300 years old. The series of Paleolithic paintings that looks hauntingly vivid hugs the wall and depict animals like cattle, stags, bison and many more. Sadly, the cave is closed to the general public since 1963. Archaeologists believe that human presence might destroy the ancient work of art.
2. North Sentinel Island, IndiaHome to the Sentinelese tribe, the North Sentinel Island in the Andaman chain is one of the forbidden islands in the world. The people inhabiting the island often get violent to safeguard their isolation. The Sentinelese tribe have lived on the island for over 50,000 years under the protection of the Indian Government. This region is strictly prohibited for visitors of any kind and is one of the most dangerous and forbidden places in the world.
3. Surtsey Island, IcelandSurtsey is a little island located in an archipelago off the southern coast of Iceland. It was formed as a result of a volcanic eruption that lasted for four years. Surtsey also has the reputation of being the newest island on the planet. Currently, it is open to a few scientists and geologists. This forbidden island is off-limits for tourists as it is believed that human interference will disrupt the ecological succession taking place on the island.
4. Ise Grand Shrine, JapanJapan is globally popular for its shrine culture and houses approximately 80,000 shrines. The most important among all is the Ise Grand Shrine. It is one of the most expensive temples in Japan due to its architectural grandeur. To maintain the Shinto traditions dating back to the 8th century, this temple is rebuilt every 20 years. And that comes with a million-dollar price tag. Unless you are a member of the royal family, you are forbidden to enter the hallowed halls of this ancient Japanese representation.
5. North Brother Island, USALocated in New York City, North Brother Island is one of the most popular abandoned places in the USA. Originally developed as a quarantine hospital, it was the home to the Typhoid Mary. She was identified as the first American to carry the typhoid fever. Later, this place became a rehabilitation centre for drug addicts. Now, North Brother Island has a bird sanctuary and is permanently shut for the common people.
6. Dulce Base, USADulce is a quaint town situated near the Colorado border in New Mexico. With a population of 2,600 Native Americans, this town serves an underground laboratory where unbelievable experiments take place. It is said that the Dulce Base is a massive hidden compound that houses incredibly advanced technologies and human-animal hybrids. This base has very tight security and is regarded as one of the top forbidden places in the World and in the USA.
7. Heard Island, AustraliaOne of the most unexplored places on the Earth, Heard Island lies between Antarctica and Madagascar. Politically, this island is a part of Australia. There are two active volcanoes on the Heard Island, and it is completely barren. The entire island is composed of debris and limestone that took place as a result of volcanic eruptions. To preserve the fragile natural surroundings, the Australian Government restricted entry to the forbidden island.
8. Doomsday Vault, NorwayThe Doomsday Vault is a seed bank situated in the heart of the Arctic Svalbard archipelago. This is a secure vault that preserves a variety of plant seeds. It is an attempt to safeguard the seeds in case of an apocalypse or global crisis. From every nook and corner of the globe, crates of seeds are sent to the Doomsday Vault for long-term storage. The vault is only open to special guests on specific days.
9. Snake Island, BrazilAs the name suggests, this is an island in Brazil infested with thousands of deadly snakes. No human even dare to tread on Snake Island, and it is even regarded as the most forbidden places in the world and in Brazil. In fact, it is so dangerous that the government has made it illegal to visit the island. It is estimated that there are approximately 4,000 golden lanceheads on the island – the deadliest serpents on the planet.
10. Area 51, USAArea 51 in Southern Nevada is always wrapped in conspiracy theories. It is a US military base and has the reputation of being the testing ground for weapons and aircraft. But there is wider speculation about the same. Conspiracy theorists believe that the officials conceal alien evidence at the base. It is totally off-limits to the commoners, and even the USA barely acknowledges the existence of Area 51.
11. Tomb of Qin Shi Huang, ChinaThe Mausoleum of China’s first Emperor Qin Shi Huang is buried deep underneath a pyramid for more than 2,000 years. It is one of the greatest discoveries of all times but remains a mystery for historians and archaeologists. The contents of the tomb are mostly sealed and unexplored. It is said that the burial complex comprises of various things that Qin Shi Huang will need in the afterlife. To pay respect to the ancient site, the Chinese Government has prohibited excavation of the Tomb of Qin Shi Huang and is one the most forbidden places in the world.
12. Pravcicka Brana, Czech RepublicOne of the most spectacular landmarks of Czech Republic, Pravcicka Brana is the biggest sandstone arch in Europe. Till 1982, this landmark attracted tourists from far and near. Later, to minimise erosion, people are restricted to visit the arch. However, geologists think that this natural sandstone arch of Pravcicka Brana would soon collapse and hence it makes it a forbidden place.
13. Niihau Island, USANiihau Island, with a population of 160 inhabitants, is prohibited to the general public. The only way to visit this region is either to be a part of the US Navy or to have a relative on the island. To preserve the environment and wildlife on Niihau Island, the government has restricted the entry to outsiders. No wonder, it is a forbidden place that one cannot reach.
So, are you feeling the chills yet? Don't visit these eerie Forbidden Places in the World and keep yourself safe!