In our comprehensive guide about currency exchange in Houston, we will be going over everything you need to know so that you are an aware traveler. This guide covers it all from Houston’s official currency to where you can get your money exchanged.
What Is the Official Currency and Denominations Used in Houston?
Official Currency of HoustonThe official currency used in Houston, Texas is the U.S. Dollar, the official currency of the United States of America. The symbol for the same is $. It is also known as the USD and is equal to about 72.57 Indian Rupees. 1 USD can be divided into 100 cents.
Denominations of the Official Currency of HoustonDollar bills come in the denominations of 1 USD, 2 USD, 5USD,10 USD, 20 USD, 50 USD, and 100 USD.
Coins are available in the denominations of 1,5,10,25,50, and 100. They are called a penny, nickel, dime, quarter, half-dollar, and silver dollar.
Bills of 2 USD, half dollars, and silver dollars are rarely used in the current times.
5 Best Places for Currency Exchange in HoustonThere are many ways to exchange money in Houston. Generally, banks offer the best exchange rates. You can also get currency exchanged at airports, hotels, licensed lenders, etc. There is also an option of exchanging money online.
Listed below are places where you can exchange currency in Houston.
1. Currency Exchange StoresYou can get your money exchanged directly from currency exchange stores that are located all over Houston.
Address: 303, Memorial Mall, Houston
- Texas Currency Exchange
Timings: Mon-Sun 11:00 am- 7:00 pm
Contact info: 713-468-6800
Address: 5085 Westheimer Road, Houston Galleria Mall, Houston
- Travelex Exchange
Timings: Mon-Sun, 11 am- 7 pm
Contact info: 713-398-6130
Address: Houston G. Bush International Airport, Main Floor, Houston
- International Currency Exchange
Timings: 10 am - 7 pm
Contact info: 713-649-6664
Address: 1811 Wirt Rd Houston
- A1 Check Cashing
Timings: 11 am - 7 pm
Contact info: 713 464-1962
2. BanksBanks are a great place to get your currency exchanged as they offer a favorable exchange rate. They are also readily available all over, hence you will not face the problem of locating a bank before making transactions.
Most banks such as Citi Bank, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo offer currency exchange.
3. ATMsYou can also exchange currency from ATMs. There are ATMs inside most establishments such as restaurants, malls, airports, etc., most of which are open round the clock. It is a quick and effective way to exchange your money for USD.
It is advised that you contact the bank beforehand and ask about any withdrawal fees. Some banks have a per-withdrawal fee. In such a case, it would be wise to withdraw larger amounts of money each time rather than making small transactions.
4. AirportsCurrency exchange kiosks are located on almost all international airports. The George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston is no exception. Exchanging your money at airports is a very convenient option as you don’t have to look around for a currency exchange store or bank. The kiosks are located right inside the airport and can be accessed at the very moment you land.
International Currency Exchange, also referred to as ICE, is the only currency exchange service available at the George Bush Intercontinental Airport. They have three kiosks located in different terminals of the airport.
There is one located at Terminal C and is open from 7:30 am to 6:30 pm. The one at terminal D operates from 7:30 am to 7:30 pm. The ICE branch at Terminal E is open from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm. Contact information for the same is listed below.
Terminal C: 281 233 3873
Terminal D: 281 233 3585
Terminal E: 281 233 3869
5. OnlineIn this digital age, we can do all our work online conveniently. Exchanging foreign currency is one of the ponderous tasks that we can do online with ease. There are many safe and secure websites and apps where you can exchange your currency to USD for your visit to Houston.
Xe is a great online currency exchange destination for international travelers as it is available in different languages and offers effective customer support. However, it only displays the exchange rate when you transact. TransferWise is another convenient option as it is safe, transparent, and does not have any hidden fee. Travelex is a very informative and easy-to-use online currency exchange website that also offers home delivery.
Where to Not Exchange Currency in Houston?
- It is advisable not to exchange your money at airports because they are the most convenient option for travelers. This leads them to charge a higher fee and not offer great exchange rates.
- Hotels, malls, and other tourist attractions are not ideal places for exchanging currency as they also charge an expensive withdrawal fee and have a terrible exchange rate.
- Shady or unsecured online websites and apps should not be used to exchange your money as they are most likely a scam. They may also store your bank or card details.
- Do not exchange your currency from informal currency exchange stores or money lenders. Make sure that if you convert money from a store, that they are registered with the Government. Many may offer tempting exchange rates but if the rates are too good to be true, they are most likely a tourist trap.
Tips for Exchanging Currency in Houston- Things to Keep in Mind
- Currency exchange stores are located all over Houston, especially the greater Houston area, as it is a major tourist city. So don’t be in a hurry or be panicked to exchange your money.
- You don’t need to use only one way to exchange all of your money. According to your itinerary, you can withdraw the money in parts, from banks, ATMs, etc.
- Be aware of tourist traps. You must be careful while converting your money. Do not give your credit/debit card or bank information to unofficial sources. Make sure your lender or bank is registered and official. It is advisable to go with a well-known money exchange service.
- Do not go for online websites that are not secure. Make sure that the website address has an ‘https’ as opposed to an ‘http’. The ‘https’ signifies that the website is secured.
- Call the bank beforehand to inquire about exchange rates, withdrawal charges, disguised fees, etc.
- Research and compare the exchange rates offered by various banks and apps.
- Be aware of any disguised or hidden fees. Carefully read through Terms and Conditions.
- It would be wise to estimate how much money you will be spending on your trip. Divide this estimate into parts and exchange/withdraw accordingly.
- Avoid airport currency exchanges.
- Research thoroughly about the current exchange rates offered in Houston.
- Always choose to be charged in USD. If you get charged in your country’s currency, the bank could apply their own exchange rates. The local exchange rates are more favorable.
- Try to spend all your converted money, or save it for another visit as by changing the remaining cash back you’ll be paying conversion fees twice.