If you are counting the days up to Christmas, make sure to add these events to your list! Get warm and cozy and all bundled up for the best ways to spread the Holiday Cheer this Christmas in Houston.
Here Are 12 Ways to Enjoy Christmas in Houston!
1. Cut your own Christmas Tree!Sure, artificial trees are convenient if you are gasping for time in the holiday season. However, if you want that piney smell of real Christmas trees wafting through your house, then head over to a local farm and choose your own tree with your family! Local farms even have their own festivals and mini-markets for relaxing under the stars! If you are willing to drive into the Houston countryside, this is the perfect pre-Christmas fun family activity!
Farms to Cut your own Tree: Holiday Acres - Manvel, Red Caboose Christmas Tree Farm - Magnolia, Dewberry Farm - Brookshire and Spring Creek Growers - Magnolia
2. Watch Movies under the stars at Market Square ParkThis annual event is beloved by locals and tourists alike. The Muppet Christmas Carol is a puppet show performing Dickens' story of Ebenezer Scrooge. Bring your lawn chairs, blankets and comfy winter wear and enjoy a fun filled evening watching movies under the stars! You can bring your own food and non-alcoholic beverages, beer, wine and Greek food is served on-site by Niko’s. Admission is completely free!
Address: Market Square Park, 301 Milam, Houston
Timings: 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Theatrical Performances in Houston in the Holiday Season!
3. A Christmas Carol – A Ghost Story of ChristmasAlley Theatre’s A Christmas Carol truly brings out the holiday spirit as they explore Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol – A Ghost Story of Christmas performed by a talented troupe of theatre artists. This two hour program is best for ages six and up, sponsored by ConocoPhillips and is originally directed by Michael Wilson.
Address: 615 Texas Avenue, Houston, Texas 77002
Timings: December 4 through Sunday, December 27
4. A Baroque ChristmasStart your holiday season with a beautiful production by the Houston Symphony Orchestra. Christmas in Houston is incomplete without the Holiday classics like Handel’s Messiah with music from Corelli’s Christmas Concerto at Jones Hall. A Baroque Christmas is a concert that should not be missed!
Address: 615 Louisiana St, Houston, TX 77002-2715
Tickets: USD 20 per person onwards
Show Timings: Between 2:30 PM to 9:00 PM
5. Very Merry POPSA famous holiday tradition, Very Merry POPS is another Houston Symphony Orchestra production classic Christmas carols like O Holy Night, What Child is This? and Joy to the World. Conducted by Michael Krajewski, spend a musical evening listening to uplifting holiday songs at Jones Hall.
Address: Houston Symphony, 615 Louisiana St. Suite 102, Houston, TX 77002
Tickets: USD 30 - USD 104 per person
Show Timings: Between 2:30 PM to 9:00 PM
6. Houston Ballet’s Nutcracker SweetsThe Nutcracker Sweets by the Houston Ballet is so popular that it is now available as a movie! Directed by Stanton Welch, Nutcracker Sweets is best viewed live at Preston street. Christmas in Houston does not get more authentic than watching Tchaikovsky’s play that has graced the stage for more than fifty years! The Nutcracker has lively dances, merry carols and brilliant acting and is perfect for a family night!
Address: 601 Preston Street, Houston, TX 77002
Tickets: USD 35 onwards
Christmas Festivals and Markets in Houston
7. Home for the Holidays in Old Town SpringHeld every weekend from November 14, Home for the Holidays in Old Town Spring is a Christmas market offering a ‘Texas Winter’ experience for the last forty years. Twinkling lights, outdoor music, Santa visits and shops and boutiques selling local, handmade gifts are the highlights of the market. With street performers and horse-drawn carriages, the historic town of Old Town Spring comes alive at night!
Address: 2180 Spring, Texas 77383
8. Moody Gardens Festival of LightsMoody Gardens hosts the biggest holiday festival in the southwest. Take an evening mile long stroll across the Galveston Bay decorated in the most magical lights and festive spirit! Make pit stops at hot chocolate stands, Star the Dancing Tree of Light and other christmas food stalls. Check out the Arctic slide, Train rides and evening cruise for a memorable Christmas in Houston!
Address: MOODY GARDENS, INC. One Hope Boulevard; Galveston, Texas 77554
Timings: 4:00 PM - 10:00 PM
Tickets Pricing: All inclusive holiday pass USD 30, Festival of lights- USD 19
9. Shopping in 19th StreetAdults can enjoy a night filled with shopping, cocktails and the Christmas spirit at the shopping district at Holiday on 19th Street! While the entire street is lit up with shops like Mary and Moss, Noted. and Vinal Edge records, there are free in-store cocktails, live music, snow machines and holiday cheer!
Address: 300 W 19th Street, Houston, TX 77008
Timings: 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Tickets: Free event
10. Tomball German Christmas MarketThe Tomball German Christmas Market is an annual family friendly festival with live music, antique stores and markets. The “tapping of the keg” is the flagship event of the festival. Check out the German arts and crafts, antiques, beers and souvenirs! The carnival, street performances and delicious food makes the German Market one of the best ways to enjoy Christmas in Houston!
Address: 201 S. Elm, Tomball, TX 77375
Timings: 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM
Tickets: Admission, parking and shuttle are FREE!
Christmas Lights and Theme Parks in Houston
11. LaMarque Winter LightsThe larger than life Magical Winter Lights at LaMarque are perfect for children and pre-teens! The forty five minute drive from Houston to LaMarque is absolutely worth it! Lantern attractions include exhibits like The Kingdom, The Village, East and Space. Chinese acrobatic performances are the highlight of the evening and are a must-watch. Also check out the Carnival rides and games for kids and kids at heart!
Address: 1000 FM 2004, La Marque, TX 77568, United States
Timings: Sunday through Thursday: 5:00 PM – 10:00 PM; Friday and Saturday 5:00 PM – 11:00 PM
12. Zoo Lights at Medical CentreThe famous Houston Zoo wears a majestic look in the Holiday season with LED light displays and animal themed displays. Usually held between November 14 - January 10, you can stroll through the zoo and take instagramable pictures! The zoo also has other children friendly displays such as the Infinity Tunnel of Light, mechanical dragons, a 4-D enchanted forest and ‘snow’ in Houston!
Address: 6200 Hermann Park Drive, Houston, TX 77030Christmas in Houston is a magical and one of a kind experience! The streets come alive at night with festivals, carnivals, music and festive cheer. Make sure to add these events to your itinerary, take instagram worthy pictures and make memories to last a lifetime!
Timings: 5:30 PM-10:30 PM, last entry at 9:30 PM.
Tickets: USD 17.25 with add on purchases for carousel rides, hot chocolate etc. Military and First responders get a USD 3 discount.