Here is everything you need to know if you’re looking to go skydiving in Houston:
Why is Skydiving in Houston a Popular Sport?
Houston is a popular tourist destination in the United States and attracts a decent crowd of tourists every year. One of Houston's main reasons for being a preferred destination for skydiving is because it has masses of open spaces and beautiful views, which add to the experience of jumping off a plane. By skydiving in Houston, you get to choose from a plethora of options and can ensure that you have a gorgeous view to look at as you descend! There are centers in and around Houston which provide you the opportunity to land on a beach.
Tips before you go Skydiving in Houston
Even though your instructors will help you with everything that there is to know about skydiving and will perhaps jump with you the first time, it is still necessary that you keep certain tips and warnings in mind. Some of them are:
- Have a decent meal before your jump: It would not help if you have an empty stomach or one which is absolutely full before you skydive since you could feel sick. Make sure to eat a filling meal before your dive and carry some light snacks with you if you have to wait around a little.
- Check your equipment: All your equipment (parachute, goggles, helmet, altimeter, AAD, jumpsuit, etc.) must be ordered. These are necessary to ensure a successful and safe dive and so make sure to double-check everything.
- Do your research: Skydiving is an extreme sport that could go extremely wrong if not done correctly. Before you decide on a particular skydiving center, do thorough research on the different options. Read up on the reviews, find out if they follow all the necessary protocols, provide all the safety equipment and the training.
- Try to stay calm: It can be quite daunting to jump off an airplane with nothing but a parachute on your back and some other equipment. Breathe evenly, and do not panic, especially while jumping off since you could hurt yourself.
- Sleep well: It is completely normal for you to find it difficult to sleep the night before your dive. Try to get as much rest as you can to fully awake for your jump and not feeling even the least bit tired.
- Find out everything about your dive in advance: Ask your instructors everything you want to know about your dive; how long it would last, how high up you would be, how to handle the equipment, and anything else. Please pay attention when they tell you things as that'll make your experience much better and calm you down a little.
- Try recording your dive: Even though it is always a different experience jumping off of a plane, if it’s your first time, do not forget to record the whole thing. You would always remember your first dive, and it is always a good idea to have it on film. While your center will provide you with a recording service, you can always get your own camera.
- Ensure that you meet all requirements: Every skydiving center will have its own requirements, and you should make sure that you meet them to be eligible for skydiving. Most centers need you to be over 18 years of age to be eligible, agile, attentive, and physically strong. You may need to take certain medical tests to prove that you’re fit for the task, but that’s rare. Moreover, you need to understand that it is dangerous and could potentially cause injuries.
Equipment Required to Skydive in Houston
Given that skydiving is an extreme sport that requires you to jump from extremely high altitudes, you must be very careful. You should know everything about your equipment, which includes:
- Parachute: One of the most important things that you cannot skydive without, a parachute helps you float around in the air. You would skydive with two parachutes since one is the main one and the other a reserve, and if it’s your first attempt, the chances are that you’d be using a wider one. It goes slower and helps reduce the impact of your landing.
- Jumpsuit: It goes without saying that you don’t want to ruin your own clothes or get hurt when you are skydiving. This is exactly why you would be wearing a jumpsuit suitable for this extreme sport, and you can get one at the center itself or get one of your own.
- Automatic Activation Device: A crucial important piece of equipment for your safety, the skydiving AAD is a device that monitors your altitude and descent rate. Once you reach a certain height, it automatically deploys the parachute if you or the instructor cannot for any reason.
- Goggles and Helmet: Goggles and helmets are another part of your protective equipment, keeping your eyes and head safe from injury. Do not forget to put on your goggles since they help you see properly and protect your eyes from the wind. The helmet protects your head while you jump out of the plane and while you land.
- Altimeter: When you are skydiving, it is important to know what altitude you are at, and that’s what the altimeter helps you with. It is generally worn on your wrist and helps you deploy the parachute at the right time.
How much does it cost to go skydiving in Houston?
Every skydiving center will charge you differently for your dive. Generally, these prices vary depending on whether it’s your first time, whether it’s a solo or a tandem jump, and whether you avail of recording services. Here is a general idea of what it could cost you to go skydiving in Houston:
- Weekdays (Tandem jump): around USD 20
- Weekends (Tandem jump): around USD 220
- 2nd Tandem jump: around USD 100
- Solo Transition Class/STP (Ground School): around USD 75
- STP Jump 1-16: around USD 175
- STP Jump 17 (lower altitude): around USD 125
Some Well-known Skydiving Companies in HoustonThere are numerous skydiving centers in Houston that you can choose from, and here are 5 of them:
1. Skydive Houston
The closest dropzone to the city center, Skydive Houston is a well-known skydiving center that offers various services. You get to work with certified instructors, watch jumpers land, learn about all the necessary equipment, record your experience, and of course, skydive.
Address: 15599 Plain View Dr, Waller, TX 77484, United States
2. The Skydiving Company
Situated halfway between Houston and Dallas, The Skydiving Company would be a great option if you are interested in skydiving while in the city. The company has had over 60 years of experience and ensures that you have a personalized experience and are safe and properly trained.
Address: 2207 Airport Lane, Madisonville, TX 77864, United States
3. Skydive Galveston
Known as the tandem skydive specialists of the country, Skydive Galveston is the center to choose from if you wish to land on a beach! Besides ensuring that you are fully trained and geared up for your jump, they make sure that your skydiving experience includes gorgeous views of the ocean and beach.
Address: 9020 Stewart Rd, Galveston, TX 77554, United States
4. Skydive Spaceland Houston
Skydive Spaceland Houston is situated south of the city and is a family business that works towards providing you an excellent skydiving experience over a 130-acre airfield. They ensure your safety, train you well, and offer various skydiving options; they also have a cafe on-site that you can eat at post your jump.
Address: 16111 FM 521 Rd, Rosharon, TX 77583, United States
5. Texas Skydiving
If you are looking for a thrilling skydiving experience and don’t mind driving a little outside Houston, Texas, Skydiving is the center to choose from. They are a small drop zone located in the countryside, thus offering you beautiful green views as you land. The certified instructors pay each diver individual attention, and they emphasize safety, adequate training, and clean facilities.
Address: 1055 Pvt Rd 7022, Lexington, TX 78947, United StatesWhen you’re visiting Houston, make sure to take advantage of the skydiving facilities available since it’s truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you enjoy a little bit of thrill and aren’t afraid of heights, find yourself the right skydiving center and immerse yourself in this extreme sport!