Art Dubai 2020 Dates & Venue
Dates : March 25 to March 28, 2020Found in 2007, Art Dubai has cemented its role in bringing forward regional and international artworks, art education and discussions to broaden the scope of art beyond the traditional western geographical and narrative system. Giving equal importance to the cultural heritage and contemporary art practices, this art fair plays a big role in putting up the art of the surrounding regions (Middle East, North Africa and South Asia), on the global map. Art Dubai has been the launch pad and development platform for artists, curators, art professionals and students, by celebrating artistic excellence and highlighting self-organised art communities, through initiatives like Ithra Art Prize and Gulf Now. Its mission extends to cultivate and preserve art, through education, mentoring and leadership with programmes like Global Art Forum, Invited Curators cross-continental dialogue exchange, Bawwaba Talks Program and Campus Art Dubai.
Venue : Madinat Jumeirah Conference & Events Centre, Al Sufouh Road, Umm Suqeim, Dubai
Timings : Wednesday, March 25, Ladies Day Preview: 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Wednesday, March 25, Preview (by invitation only): 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Thursday, March 26: 2:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Friday, March 27: 12:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Saturday, March 28: 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM
Art Dubai GalleriesThe gallery section of Art Dubai is divided into 4 : Contemporary, Modern, Bawwaba, and Residents. The works presented in the gallery include painting, drawing, installation, sculpture, photography, video, and performance.
- Art Dubai Contemporary - features commercial galleries operating on the primary market, that have been established for at least 2 years. Ranging from emerging art scenes to established centres, solo or group shows are presented by artists from all over the world.
- Art Dubai Modern - is devoted to modern art produced between 1940s to 1980s, from the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. For its 2020 edition, Art Dubai Modern will feature works by 20th-century masters, where each exhibitor presents a solo or multi-artist show, with an aim to contextualize the historical narrative of the artworks.
- Bawwaba - Bawwaba meaning ‘Gateway’ in Arabic, is a unique gallery section featuring individual artists or galleries focused on Middle East, Central and South Asia, Africa and Latin America, created in the past year or specifically for the fair. Bawwaba offers visitors a curated reading of current artistic developments across wide geographical scopes.
- Residents - Residents is a six-week residency programme in UAE for artists, hosted by the fair, to engage them with the local art scene, rich cultural heritage and contemporary art practices of the region. During the resident programme, multidisciplinary artists from all over the world are invited to create new works in the fully equipped studio spaces of Dubai and Abu Dhabi. The third iteration of Residents at Art Dubai 2020 will focus on contemporary art production from the African continent.
Highlights of Art Dubai
1. Global Art ForumThe Global Art Forum is the largest annual arts conference in the Middle East, taking place in Art Dubai. It is an annual transdisciplinary arts conference, combining original thinking of contemporary themes through a series of talks about the future of art, panel discussions and performances, by a diverse line-up of artists, curators, writers, musicians and thought leaders from around the world.
2. Art Dubai CommissionsArt Dubai Commissions is a non-profit commissioning platform that invites artists to produce site-specific works, by local and international artists. Art Dubai 2020 Commission will introduce site-specific projects on multiple disciplines, with an Ecological focus. The commissions will be undertaken in collaboration with the Jameel Arts Centre, Dubai’s leading contemporary art institution.
3. Art Dubai Modern SymposiumThe symposium consists of a series of talks and presentations focused on the life, work and cultural impact of masters of modern art. Renowned curators and scholars will lead the sessions that delve deep into the styles and influence of 20th-century artists whose work contributes to the history of art.
4. Gulf NowThis section of Art Dubai introduces a network of creative platforms from the Arabian Gulf, that work outside of government funding. Selected platforms from UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait and Oman, will be introduced into the fair, to discuss current topics and themes on creativity, and to give rise to new thoughts and theories.
5. PerformancesEvery year, Art Dubai presents curated performances throughout the week. The Art Dubai 2020 Performance Programme is curated by Marina Fokidis, and will explore healing as an art form. The programme will demonstrate a celebration of togetherness and explore the unifying aspects of communal celebrations and live art as a powerful tool, through a series of dances, processions and festivities.
6. Educational Initiatives
- Campus Art Dubai - Campus Art Dubai (CAD) is a part of Art Dubai’s year-round extensive programme, aiming at providing artists with educational and professional opportunities. CAD has acted as a mentoring school for artists, curators, writers, architects, designers and cultural producers based in the UAE, allowing the participants to explore the significance of local and regional knowledge, through course materials and a series of seminars, lectures, workshops and off-site visits.
- Sheikha Manal Little Artists programme - Art Dubai’s non-commercial programme also includes workshops, publications and discovery tours for children and teenagers, created especially for the fair by international and UAE-based artists. Each March, Art Dubai partners with the Cultural Office to produce the Sheikha Manal Little Artists Program, designed to provide access to skills and ideas for UAE-based children and teenagers aged 5-17 with the long-term aim of encouraging young people to get involved and excel in the arts.
- Ithra Art Prize - The Prize is awarded to emerging Saudi-based talent in contemporary arts to fund, promote and offer Saudi artists a global platform. The winning work is unveiled at Art Dubai each year, and later joins Ithra’s permanent collection.
- Art Dubai Fellowship - Art Dubai Fellowship is a programme for exceptional artists, curators and writers working in the Arab world and beyond (the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia), who came together for a week-long series of intensive workshops during Art Dubai.
As the world’s most international art fair, Art Dubai has a meaningful engagement with the rich cultural heritage as well as contemporary art practices of the region. If you are an art lover, and are in Dubai around the time,do visit Art Dubai at least once to see the contemporary art pieces from galleries around the world, and learn more about the future of art from world-famous curators.