Read on as we recommend the best places to kitesurf in San Diego, as well as the best places to learn how to kitesurf. We also provide information about the best time to go kitesurfing to ensure you have the time of your life while surfing the waves of the Pacific Ocean.
Best Time to Kitesurf in San DiegoThe best time to kitesurf in San Diego is between the months of April and October. During this time, wind speeds are around 7 mph or higher, making it ideal for kites to sail in the sky. The weather is also pleasant during this period, allowing you to enjoy kitesurfing in this period.
5 Best Places to Kitesurf in San Diego
1. Kite Beach and Fiesta IslandKite Beach is amongst the most popular kitesurfing sites along the San Diego coast. The beach is located inland, and is where many kitesurfing training schools are located. Enchanted Cove is one of the most popular areas for kitesurfers of varying skill levels to test their mettle. Beginners ready to take on the next level of kitesurfing challenges can also move slightly north to surf the waves at the North Pacific Passage.
2. Sail Bay
Sail Bay is a circular bay formed within the Mission Beach peninsula. Its unique sand beach helps protect it from the intense waves of the Pacific Ocean, making it a great place for kiters with intermediate experience to ride the waters.
3. Silver Strand State BeachCommonly known just as the Strand, is a 4.5 mile long beach that runs south of Point Loma. The narrow and low lying isthmus makes it an ideal spot for kitesurfers looking to avoid the crowds on Pacific Beach and Mission Beach. The area is known to have some of the best winds for kitesurfing in San Diego.
4. Pacific BeachPacific Beach is one of the most common spots for experienced kitesurfers to ride the waves. While the area of the beach at Santa Clara is where most surfers kitesurf, the most experienced surfers along with professionals move further north to the North Pacific Beach, which poses the ultimate challenge to those looking to take the waves head on.
5. South Mission Beach and Dog BeachSouth Mission Beach and Dog Beach lie to the south of the Pacific Beach. It is another hotspot for water adventure sports like kitesurfing. High intermediate kitesurfers visit these beaches, riding their tricky waves and sea conditions for a thrilling experience.
3 Best Places to Learn Kitesurfing in San Diego
1. Manta Wind and Water SportsManta Wind and Sports are the leading kitesurfing trainers in the San Diego area. It was founded by John Arthur, who also takes the classes for kitesurfing. He has received the Professional Air Sports Association (PASA) and International Kiteboarding Organization (IKO) certification for instructors. Group classes are offered, as well as private classes, with classes based from Fiesta Island.
4 hour group - USD 179 (upto 4 people)
2 hour private - USD 179 (lessons only), USD 399 (includes 3M trainer kite)
Beyond basics (requires previous kitesurfing experience):
2 hour semi-private - USD 149
2 hour private - USD 199
4 hour group (3-4 students) - USD 179
4 hour semi-private (2 students) - USD 229
4 hour private (1 student) - USD 299
2 hour semi-private (2 students) - USD 129
2 hour private (1 student) - USD 179
2. KiteNowBased on Fiesta Island, KiteNow offers standard pricing for those looking to learn how to kitesurf. They provide equipment like impact vests, wetsuits, harnesses and radio helmets to ensure the best user experience. If you have your own kites and boards, then you are provided with an additional discount. If not, they will provide you with the necessary equipment, which is included in the pricing.
1 hour - USD 98
2 hours - USD 195
3 hours - USD 245
4 hours - USD 296
Additional persons - USD 125
3. Mission Beach Surfing SchoolThis surfing school is based on Mission Beach, with branches in Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach as well. They provide lessons from certified instructors, as well the basic equipment you require. They also have an onsite photographer to snap you while in action, giving you a long lasting memory of this water adventure sport.
Single class (90 minutes):
Stoked private (1 person) - USD 90
Stoked semi-private (upto 3 persons) - USD 80
Stoked private (upto 5 persons) - USD 69
Ultimate Packages (Buy 3 classes, get 1 free):
Private (1 person) - USD 270
Semi-private (upto 3 persons) - USD 240
So let the adventure junkie in you come on the shores of San Diego! Feel the wind in your hair and the water beneath your feet as you ride the waves of the Pacific during your kiteboarding adventure.