Here are the top 10 bars in Penang to enjoy the night:
1. Mish MashThis cozy Penang bar is popular for its special, seasonal cocktails that are inspired by local ingredients and their collection of more than 80 types of whiskey from various parts of the world. They serve finger food influenced by European and Asian cuisines. It is ideal for a casual night out with friends and for travelers to get a nice pint of their draft beers – Kampachi and Guinness. Some great drinks to try are Like Sekeping, Jungle Bird, and When the sun goes down.
Location: 24, Muntri St, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Timings: 4:00 PM -12:00 AM, Monday - Saturday
2. Good Friends ClubA chill and cozy Chinese retro-themed bar is what makes this the go-to club in Penang. With reasonable rates and their famous Nutmeg and rum-infused cocktails, it’s the perfect place to vibe in with your friends with delicious fries, drinks, and good indie music. You can not miss this bar with its pink neon lights welcoming you inside. Local drinks you must try are Lao Hao Peng and Pat Poh Peng.
Location: 39, Jalan Gurdwara, George Town, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Timings: 7:00 PM – 2:00 AM, Wednesday - Monday
3. The Canteen at China HouseTune into the nightly live music from Jazz and Soul to R&B to indie with drinking ranging from their thoughtful wine collection, beers, and more. This is a hidden bar in Penang with 70s era décor with cozy vibes and good food. Ask about their social media stunt where you can post a picture of the bar on social media and get complimentary drinks.
Location: 183B, Lebuh Victoria, George Town, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Timings: 9:00 AM – 2:00 AM Monday - Saturday, 9:00 AM - 12:00 AM Sunday
4. The BarnWine and dine at the Barn in Penang with the most exquisite collection of wine from all around the world. They have more than 150 red and white wine brands that go well with their western-influenced delicacies. The wine is reasonably priced. They also have casual drinks like cocktails, mocktails, and beers.
Location: THE BARN, GP-170-G-43, Gurney Plaza, Persiaran Gurney, Penang, 10250 Penang, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Timings: 11:00 AM - 12:00 AM
5. 12 sensesLocated in a common shophouse, you might not notice this speakeasy until you find the door ajar. It has an ancient Chinese theme with modern décor. They have live music every night and delicious cocktails, wines, and beers. 12 Senses is very popular among the locals for its unique ambiance and reasonably priced drinks. The bartenders can concoct specialized cocktails on request.
Location: 12, Lebuh Presgrave, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
6. Magazine 63This is one of the first hidden bars in Penang, located in a rundown building. Enveloped in red light, this place has an old-world Chinese vibe and they serve a few special drinks in porcelain Chinese bowls and snake bottles. It has a great selection of innovative cocktails and other drinks. They have live bands during the weekends. Make sure to book a table in advance during weekends. One of the signature drinks to try here is their Nv Er Hong which is a combination of quite a few drinks in a Chinese styled jar.
Location: 63, Jalan Magazine, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Timings: 8:00 PM - 3:00 AM everyday
7. Out of NowhereJust like the name suggests this Penang bar has a very interesting entrance through the café Hold Up’s refrigerator. A hidden bar, they have locally inspired cocktails with British colonial influence and live music. They have a great friendly ambiance and bartenders to concoct unique cocktails for you. Some great drinks to try out are I went Bananas, Bloody Hell – a take on Bloody Mary, Into the Bahalus, and many more interesting cocktails.
Location: 73, Jalan Kuala Kangsar, George Town, 10100 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Timings: 11:00 AM – 11:00 PM, Wednesday – Sunday
8. Hard Rock CafeThe famous Hard Rock Cafe is known across the globe still remains the best in Penang. An ideal place to hang out with friends with good music, delicious food, and handcrafted cocktails. They have some really electrifying live music bands to keep you entertained throughout the night.
Location: Batu Ferringhi Beach 11100, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Timings: 12:00 PM - 10:00 PM Monday - Thursday, 12:00 PM - 12:00 AM Friday - Sunday
9. The PokokA new addition to the bars of Penang is this hotspot at the backpacker’s area of Chulia Street. You will find a mix of locals and tourists at this lively spot with cheap alcohol and live bands. It is an all-day bar serving draught beers and freshly concocted cocktails. It is a nice place to hang out with friends with unplugged music and good beer.
Location: Lot, 227, Chulia St, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Timings: 6:00 PM - 3:00 AM every day
10. GravityLocated on the 24th floor of G Hotel Kelawai, this rooftop bar in Penang offers a panoramic view of the island and a great selection of wines, unique cocktails, and spirits with titbits. It has a cozy ambiance with good music. You should try their flaming Lamborghini, Smirnoff Vodka tube which is a set of 12 colorful tubes with flavored vodka, Jameson Jug, Rainbow Margherita, JK Jam, and more.
Location: Level 24, G Hotel Kelawai, 2, Lorong Maktab, 10250, Pulau Pinang, MalaysiaWhether it may be in a rundown building or behind a curtain, Penang’s bars will never disappoint you and make you come back for more.
Timings: 5:00 PM - 1:00 AM Monday - Saturday, 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM on Sunday