Here is a list of 10 best souvenirs to buy from Penang:
1. Tau Sar Piah - Round Chinese Pastry
This is a classic Chinese pastry that is flaky from the outside and is filled with a traditional Mung bean paste inside. This conventional pastry or biscuit is a delectable blend of soft and crunchy. You could get it in both sweet and savoury flavours. For every tourist, this is a must-buy souvenir from Penang.
Where to Buy: Him Heang, Shop no. 162, Jalan Burma, George Town, 10050
Timings: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (Monday - Saturday)
2. Penang White CoffeeWhite coffee is a unique and iconic item in Penang. What’s interesting is that the coffee beans aren’t white, rather they’re roasted in palm oil and brewed and served with condensed milk. It is the ingredients that give the coffee its flavour and colour. Many locals and tourists enjoy this and find it very fascinating, hence it is considered as a must-buy souvenir from Penang. You can buy these coffee beans easily from most convenience stores.
Where to Buy: Coffee Tree, Shop No. 20 B, Jalan Bagan Jermal, George Town, 10250
Timings: 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM ( Monday – Sunday)
3. Penang BatikFor all those interested in textiles and having a high drive for pure silk with exclusive design, this is one thing you don’t want to miss out! Batik Silk is a very sought-after handicraft item in Malaysia. Batik is a long-established resist dyeing technique that involves using a lot of patterns with bright colours on silk fabric. You could visit the Penang Batik Factory to enjoy the fabric dyeing process and buy a dress as a souvenir from the shop nearby.
Where to Buy: Penang Batik Factory, 65 Mk 2 S.W.D, Teluk Bahang , 11050, Penang Malaysia
Timings: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM (Monday - Sunday)
4. Crunchy Peanut CandyThe crunchy peanut candy is one of the traditional food items of Penang. It has a little crunch on the crust and is chewy from the inside. This oldest handmade candy is filled with surprising nutty, sweet, and savoury flavours. These are freshly made and sold, so you could also witness the making of this palatable dish.
Where to Buy: Ang Seng Heong, Shop No. 326-U Ground Floor, Jalan Perak, Taman Ara, 11600 George Town
Timings: 7:00 AM - 9:00 PM (Tuesday - Sunday), 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM (Sunday)
5. Penang Museum SouvenirsFor all the photography and camera enthusiasts, the Penang Museum is the right place to be at. This museum displays a historic detail of the evolution of cameras. There is a Snap Shop on the ground floor of the museum that has a huge variety of souvenirs from keychains, t-shirts, handmade camera cases, bags, etc.
Where to Buy: Asia Camera Museum, First Floor, 71, Lebuh Armenian, Georgetown, 10200
Timings: 10:00 AM - 6:00PM (Monday - Sunday)
6. Handicraft ItemsThe Malaysian and Chinese essence could be best found in the local jewellery, artwork, and other items like batik design printed napkins and coasters. Not only that, but you could also buy the classic cheongsam vases and conventional Chinese designed postcards. Apart from these, there are locally printed shirts and pouches as well.
Where to Buy: 41 Living Story, Lorong Love, George Town, 10200
Timings: 10:00AM – 6:00PM (Monday - Sunday)
7. Roti JariRoti Jari is a popular Malaysian tea time snack which is usually accompanied by a hot beverage. The older folks of the area like to dip this french bread look-alike biscuit into their cup of tea or coffee to get an enhanced flavour. These are usually sold in loose packaging. So, buying at least 1 bag of this roti jari is a must as a souvenir from Penang.
Where to Buy: Hup Hoe Biscuit , Shop No. 1629, Jalan Besar, 14100
Timings: 8:00 AM - 8:00PM (Monday - Sunday)
8. Pepper BiscuitsThese biscuits are in the competitive list of Malaysian Souvenirs in Penang. It has a hint of peppery spice with a salty touch. It uses Chinese five-spice as its main ingredient.
Where to Buy: Ban Heang Bakery, Shop No. 200, Jalan, Macalister, 10400 George Town
Timings: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM (Monday - Sunday)
9. NutmegThis is one of the most sought after souvenirs that tourists buy from Penang. Given its benefits and being around in this region since the 19th century, Nutmeg items are in huge demand! It can be used in medicated oils, balms, syrups, and other things.
Where to Buy: Ghee Hup Nutmeg Factory, Shop NO. MK3, 202A, Jalan Tanjung Bungah, Kampung Sunai Pinang, 11000
Timings: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM (Monday - Sunday)
10. Pickled Fruits
Malaysia has fruits in abundance, and many of these fruits like mango, papaya, guava, etc can be preserved in brine and sugar syrup. This serves as one of the best between-meal snacks and also as a fresh fruit sweet-sour candy.
So, take a day out separately for shopping while in Penang and enjoy your shopping spree!
Where to Buy: Jeruk Madu Pak Ali, Shop No. 423 and 425, Jalan Penang, George Town, 10000
Timings: 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM (Monday - Thursday), 8:30 AM - 8:30 PM (Friday - Sunday)