Here is a complete guide for your fairytale wedding in Koh Samui.
Venues for Weddings in Koh SamuiMost people who plan a wedding in Koh Samui do so for their lovely beaches, which serve as the perfect backdrop for dreamy nuptials that you will remember forever. There are many A-class venues in Koh Samui that specialise in organising wedding celebrations, with comfortable rooms, fine architecture and layouts, breezy settings and convenient services to cater to all your needs. The following venues will guarantee you a perfect wedding day:
1. Banyan Tree Samui
Banyan Tree Samui is the ultimate luxury experience in Koh Samui, and will add a million stars to your wedding celebration. Each villa has a private pool, and you can choose from ocean view villas, spa sanctuary villas, hill crest villas, family villas, and even the gigantic presidential villa for hosting a large number of guests. They are known for organising attractive weddings on their private beach, as well as providing services of in-house florists, wedding specialists, and an elegant lounge for a reception bash. They have an elaborate Infinity Wedding Package you can avail to plan your dream wedding.
Location: 99/9 Moo 4, Maret, Samui, Surat Thani
Contact: +66 077 915 333
2. Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort has gained the trust of travellers world over for being experts in the field of wedding organisation. They have hordes of suites and villas to choose from, which promise you privacy and luxury. Their spa is superb and highly relaxing, and your guests will enjoy indulging in their first-rate services. The location and resort itself is beautiful, with an iconic patio, beach club, and wonderful dining facilities, making it one of the perfect destinations for weddings in Koh Samui. The resort has several wedding packages you can pick, ranging from THB 55,555 to THB 88,888. They excel in organising a magical night beach wedding and honeymoon that will leave you speechless.
Location: 124/24 Moo 3, Lamai Beach, Koh Samui, Surat Thani
Contact: +66 77 424 030
3. The Tongsai Bay
The Tongsai Bay is known for being a perfect private venue for your wedding in Koh Samui. With over 83 suites and villas, you can choose from beachfront rooms, seafront cottages, hideaway cottages, family cottages and grand villas. They also have packages to organise your wedding from start to finish, and offer options for Western, Thai and legal ceremonies to choose from. Their wedding services are endless, offering make-up, photography, live bands and even a spectacular firework display.
Location: 84 Moo 5, Bophut, Koh Samui, Surat Thani
Contact: + 66 (0) 77 913 750 99
4. Fair House Villas & Spa
Fair House Villas & Spa has many distinct services and packages to cater to all varieties of destination weddings in Koh Samui couples could want. They can organise a Thai wedding, complete with monks, parades and flower decorations, as well as a western wedding with a wide menu, lovely settings and plenty of spa services. They offer upgrades on rooms for to-be-married couples, and give them various perks to make their stay here truly special. They can also organise videographers, photographers, a wedding cake and a DJ/live band. Prices range from THB 69,000 to THB 79,000 and can be customised as per your requirements.
Location: 39 Moo 1 Maenam Beach, Koh Samui
Contact: +66 77 429000
Resorts and Hotels
1. Nora Buri Resort & Spa
Nora Buri Resort & Spa is a fantastic 5-star residency with marvellous views of the ocean, creating a great setting for your wedding in Koh Samui. The resort consists of villas, suites and deluxe rooms that are designed for maximum relaxation and enjoyment. Situated on a forested hillside with a secluded backyard bay, this hotel will increase the charm of your wedding. They have irresistible wedding deals, one of them being a wonderful mixture of Thai and Western wedding which will be held at the beachfront. The deal includes everything from nuptial ceremonies, honeymoon arrangements, exclusive dinners and grand decorations which will enchant you and your families.
Location: 111 Moo 5, Chaweng Beach, Bophut, Koh Samui, Surat Thani
Contact: +66 (0) 77 429401
2. Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Located right on the Bophut Beach, one of the most peaceful and unspoiled beaches in Koh Samui, Anantara Bhoput Koh Samui Resort is a secluded paradise, designed specially for luxury. This resort is arguably one of the most sought after destinations for weddings in Koh Samui. You can organise your wedding directly through the resort management since they offer a variety of packages as wedding planners. The most tranquil, undisturbed part of their establishment is their Spa Garden, which is their prime choice for wedding ceremonies. They have an expansive menu with amazing combos you can avail. A wedding here, excluding accommodation, will cost you anywhere between THB 89,000 to THB 109,000.
Location: 99/9 Bophut Bay, Samui Island, Surat Thani
Contact: +66 77 428 300
3. Six Senses Samui
Six Senses Samui is an all-round health and wellness resort, that provides a blend of high class and luxury to their guests. It is one of the most popular resorts for weddings in Koh Samui, especially because of its picturesque location. Complete with infinity pools stretching into the horizon and specialty villas setting the stage for an idyllic wedding, they organise lavish functions with the help of their wedding contractor, that may cost you anywhere from THB 160,000 to THB 300,000, all inclusive. Although prices may seem exorbitant, every penny will be worth it ultimately.
Location: 9/10 Moo 5, Baan Plai Laem, Bophut, Koh Samui, Surat Thani
Contact: +66 7724 5678
Best Planners for Weddings in Koh SamuiThe best part about a wedding in Koh Samui is that you can choose from a variety of ceremonies. You can have a traditional Thai ceremony, a private beach ceremony, a Western ceremony or just a reception party with a dazzling, extravagant setup. If you prefer a dreamlike wedding, you can go for a simple, easygoing celebration with no-frills. Furthermore, you can even have a short, formal event with a legal court marriage and celebrate on a large-scale in a resort afterwards.
Wedding planners in Koh Samui are plenty, and you need only contact the best ones who know exactly how to make your big day special. They take care of everything from venues, food catering, decor, flower decorations, photographers and of course, entertainment. These wedding planners have professional experience in weddings, so you can leave the stress of planning to them and enjoy your celebrations to the fullest.
1. The Wedding Bliss
The Wedding Bliss are professionals in organising luxury destination weddings, with many branches around Thailand. They strive to create a magical day for you, one that you will look upon with a full heart. Their wedding services include an elaborate plan of your event with focus on venue selection, theme, design, guests' accommodation, outfits, vendors, decor, run-throughs and on-site management on the final day. They are a little on the expensive side, but if you can afford that kind of price, then rest assured, you're in the hands of the best of the best.
Contact: +66 80 588 3322
2. Samui Beach Weddings
Samui Beach Weddings has been around since 2007, which indicates their expertise and experience in the organisation of weddings in Koh Samui. They give high value to the bride and groom's preferences for colour, decorations and details to create a day as close to your expectations as possible. They specialise more in organising smaller events with around 40 guests, but if you have more guests they offer you a personalised package. One major plus is that they can even organise pre-wedding daytime activities like diving, snorkelling or boating so you can explore the islands.
Contact: +66 (0) 89-590-8823
3. Dreamcatchers Events
Dreamcatchers Events are renowned for curating gorgeous weddings in Koh Samui, and have even been recognised internationally. They help you in selecting the perfect venue, by beaches or mountains, and organise events with regard to your budget, guest list, and preferences. They have great themes for concept weddings, and feature unique pre-wedding functions such as Welcome Events, Sunset Cocktail Parties, Chartering a Cruise, Day Tours, Brunches and BBQs. The team is very efficient and attentive to detail, making everything about your big day flawless.
Contact: +66 870698511
4. The Signature Weddings
The Signature Weddings is your best bet if you are looking for your wedding in Koh Samui to be an exquisite event. Their signature packages include an East Meets West celebration, a theme which will be reflected in the decorations, food and cocktail menu, and the overall setup. They are dedicated to choosing the best villas for you, which guarantee breathtaking views, world-class services, and optimum comfort. They believe in looking after your guests well, and also organise cruises, skiing, picnics and spas, which will bring the entire wedding party closer together.
Contact: + 66 (0)81 270 0788
Legalities for Weddings in Koh SamuiThis is the most important information regarding your destination wedding in Koh Samui, since it is a deciding factor in the legality of your marriage. The following points consist of key highlights relevant to what marriages mean here, so read them very carefully:
- Marriages in Thailand are symbolic festivals, meant only to celebrate the union of two lovers. They are not automatically legal.
- Making your marriage legal is not compulsory, and is entirely a personal decision. Legalising the marriage does not affect the procedure and format of wedding ceremonies.
- To begin with, fix an appointment with your home country's embassy located in Bangkok. The appointment date must be at least 6 days prior to your ceremony.
- Here you will receive a Statutory Declaration, which will have to be sent to an official translation bureau for translation. Then they have to be deposited at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The documents will be returned to you in 3 days or so, certifying that you can now be married under Thai Law.
- Next, you must visit the local city hall in Koh Samui with your documents, where a civil ceremony will be held, that declares you and your partner married. The civil ceremony is hassle-free and quick, lasting only 10-15 minutes. It will involve a registrar from the District Office, who will be witness to your union, sign the documents, ask you a few questions and legalise your marriage.
- You will be presented with two certificates as proof of your marriage, which must be preserved carefully since they will be the only issued documents you will receive.
- Often, wedding planning companies offer their services to assist you in these legal processes for your convenience. They take care of your documents, transferring them wherever required, fix appointments, for approximately THB 23,000 - THB 30,000.
Best Time to Have Weddings in Koh Samui
Koh Samui is beautiful all year round, because let's be honest, a beach destination is never not beautiful. If you are planning a holiday, any time is good because the island is blessed with pleasant weather all year round. But as far as a wedding in Koh Samui is concerned, you will have to choose the months wisely. A few things to note:
- Rainfall may be expected at any time of the year, but heavy rains occur mainly between August - November. This is the offseason, when hotel rates are very low and beaches are practically empty. You should not take a chance during this time, since even weather forecasts are more or less unreliable.
- Between December - February, the weather in Koh Samui is at its best, with a warm, dry, tropical climate and cool winds. Unfortunately, since this is the high season and the island swarms with tourists, prices everywhere are hiked up. However, this can be the ideal time to plan a wedding here, since even at its peak, prices in Koh Samui are not unaffordable. Luckily for you, due to the high tourism, companies and businesses expand their offers and price ranges to accommodate every type of traveller, leaving you spoilt for choice to pick what best suits your budget.
- The weather in Koh Samui is hot between March-May, with light showers and high humidity. That being said, the heat is not totally unbearable, and you will get through comfortably. You can plan a great, evening wedding during this period as well. Some sunshine, some rain and a whole load of picturesque snapshots will make your special day memorable.
- June - August sees considerable rainfall, which may not be the perfect climate to plan a wedding in. However, seeing as it is a popular season for tourists wanting to enjoy amazing weather and don't mind some rainfall, you can totally plan a wedding around this time, if you want an indoor ceremony. The thunderstorms will also bring about stormy skies, which will make for one of the most stunning scenes in Koh Samui.
Extra Tips for Weddings in Koh Samui:
- Start planning your destination wedding at least 12 - 16 months in advance.
- Be on the lookout for offers and discounts at resorts and hotels, and book them a few months in advance for the best deals. Your guests can also save and spend accordingly.
- If you can/want, carry a few bottles of liquor from home since some alcohols, especially champagne, are very expensive in Koh Samui.
- A unique addition to your wedding would be to visit a Thai temple because that's how the locals do it. The temples here are beautiful and worth visiting.
- Looking at the tropical weather of Koh Samui, it will be best if your wedding outfits are made of light materials like silk and cotton. Stay away from synthetic materials. It is advisable to ready your outfits back home, instead of getting them custom made by tailors in Koh Samui.
- Know a few key Thai words to converse better with your vendors to let them know exactly what you want.
- Don't forget to pack monsoon essentials, because you never know when it might rain in Koh Samui.
- Carry extra plugin chargers, portable chargers and cables to keep your electronics running smoothly at all times.