The months of March to June in Shimla, have a clear sky and pleasant climate, making it the best time to visit the place for paragliding. The temperature ranges from 15 to 30 degree celsius, which is ideal for paragliding or any other outdoor activity. The activity is closed from July to August because of monsoon and resumes for months from September to December.
Where To Go Paragliding in Shimla?
In Shimla, paragliding only takes place in Shivpuri and 22 km away from Shimla at Waknaghat.
Types of Paragliding in Shimla
One can do solo or tandem paragliding in Shimla at Waknaghat. However, in solo paragliding, one has to receive training for a few days and should be sure about being able to manage the flight. In tandem type, one is accompanied by a trained pilot, and all one needs to do is follow the instructions given by the trainers. In tandem type, a person is strapped in the harness in front of the pilot.
Operators For Paragliding in Shimla
1) Airborne Paragliding ShimlaA team of trained adventure enthusiasts providing a thrilling experience to people through paragliding. This paragliding spot in Shimla is located near the Waknaghat market on the Chandigarh-Shimla national highway. One has to book a slot on the booking counter near Jaypee university first and then walk towards the spot. The flight ends at Wakna village. The minimum age for paragliding is 12 years and those between the ages of 12 years and 18 years are only allowed under parents guidance
Location: Waknaghat, P.O. Waknaghat Kandaghat, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
Cost: Its 3500 INR per person for 10 to 15 minutes fly
Timings: 6:00 AM to 10:30 AM & 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Payment methods: Paytm, Google Pay, Phone Pay and Bank transfer
Height of flight: 5600 meters
Flight duration: 15 - 20 minutes to complete round
The only place inside Shimla where paragliding takes place. The height of the flight is about 3200 feet. It is a thrilling experience to see the mountains and the greenery of the area from that high — flight duration: 15 minutes.
Some of Shimla’s neighbouring places for paragliding include:
1. Bir Billing, located in Kangra valley, which is internationally known for its paragliding, provides a fantastic spot for the activity. It is one of the top five places in the world for paragliding. The ride is of approximately 25 minutes long and the landing site is on the feet of the hill. The height of the flight is 8000 feet above the sea level.
Paragliding operator: Mr Jitender Thakur, phone no.-8988881035
March to May and from October to November are the best periods for paragliding in this region.
2. Barot: Barot valley is located at a distance of about 60 kilometres from Billing and is also quite famous for paragliding.
- People suffering from vertigo or any other physical conditions are advised to stay out of the activity.
- In case one is using their paragliding equipment, they should make sure it is in good conditions.
- It can get freezing up there so one should wear woollen clothes.
- Wear wind-proof heavy jackets.
- Paragliding takes place after trekking up mountains, so make sure to wear comfortable shoes. Good shoes also help for a better grip while taking off and landing.
- Apply sunscreen before trekking towards the starting point.
- Carry a valid identity proof and may carry medical insurance.
- The weight limit for paragliding is 15-95 kg.
- Sincerely follow the instructions and guidelines given by the activity organizer since the activity involves a little risk.
- One can get photos and videos recorded during paragliding flight by paying extra charges.