Shimla is the capital Himachal Pradesh in India and a popular hill-station among Indian families and honeymooners. Situated at the height of 2200m, Shimla was the summer capital of British India. Shimla still retains its old-world charm with beautiful colonial architecture, pedestrian-friendly Mall Road and the ridge lined up with multiple shops, cafes and restaurants.
The weather is pleasant for most of the months with tourists flocking especially during the summer months. The winters are cold with some days of snow from mid-December till February end.
Shimla is well connected with many cities and is just 4 hours from the nearby city of Chandigarh. The city has an airport as well; however, there aren't many daily flights from here. The railway station connects Shimla with the plans and is famous for the Kalka-Shimla train route; a UNESCO listed World Heritage site.
Shimla is often covered with nearby towns of Kufri, a hill-station almost always covered by snow and Chail, famous for a huge palace and the highest cricket ground in the world. Tourists also visit the famous Jakhu Temple and engage in sightseeing at various viewpoints during their trip to Shimla.
Popular Questions And Answers on Shimla
Q. I want go there from Kolkata ple know me how do go there?
2 years ago
There are several options available for travelling to Shimla from Kolkata-
1. You can take a train from Kolkata to Delhi which takes around 17 hours. From Delhi you can take a bus to Shimla which takes around 11 hours to reach.
2. You can take a direct train from Kolkata to Kalka which takes around 33 hours. From Kalka you can take a car to Shimla which takes an additional 1.5 hours.
3. You can a flight from Kolkata to Chandigarh which takes 2 hours to reach. You can then take a car from Chandigarh to Shimla which takes around 2 hours.
4. If you are a road trip enthusiast you can also take a road trip from Kolkata to Shimla which will take around 25 hours.
11 months ago
Shimla is the famous hill station in Himachal Pradesh, also the capital of Himachal Pradesh located at an altitude of 2276m. Shimla was the summer capital of Himachal Pradesh during British era. The official language of Shimla is Hindi. Shimla faces heavy snowfall every year in Winters and sometime in summers. Like other major cities in Himachal, Shimla also has a number of tourist destinations that are worth of time. i have visited Shimla more than 5 times.
2 years ago
I visited Shimla in the month of June, which is the time when Shimla is bustling with tourists. I chose this season to escape the scorching heat and found out that it indeed was an ideal option for a weekend getaway. The weather was pleasant and perfect for outdoor activities like trekking, camping, rafting and even paragliding. I had a great time walking through the famous Mall Road and indulging myself in delicious and pocket friendly roadside snacks. The local handicrafts shops are a must visit for all those who wish to take a memory of the place back home. A small piece of advise to all those visiting Shimla is to carry comfortable walking shoes and light winter clothing for the night time!
2 years ago
- Beware of the monkeys on the streets. Don't tease them or offer them anything. They might try to grab more things from you.