When we talk about travelling from Delhi, the capital of India, railways is the safest and quick enough means, however, there is no direct train that can take you to Shimla from Delhi directly hence the journey has to be divided into two parts, namely, Delhi to Kalka and further to Shimla via a toy train, we present to you possibly every information to make your travel fun and even more scenic.
Delhi to Kalka
Almost all the trains follow the same route passing through Ambala Cantt and the beautifully colourful Chandigarh. Kalka’s own slightly hilly markets, ambience and food can prove to be quiet exciting and inviting.
TICKET FARE (INR)
(Executive car )
5:35 AM-11:10 AM
7:40 AM-11:45 AM
SNSI KALKA SUPERFAST EXPRESS
7:50 AM-12:20 PM
11:05 AM-16:45 PM
17:15 PM-21:20 PM
HWH DLI KALKA MAIL
21:30 PM-4:35 AM
Kalka to ShimlaNow that we have successfully completed half of our journey, only a distance of 14.8 kms separates us from the marvellous and lush green-white mountains and the fresh hill air.
- For the remaining part of the journey, one has to take the infamous toy trains from Kalka to Shimla from the Kalka-Shimla Railway which has its own significance.
- The Kalka-Shimla Railway is a proud bearer of the heritage status of; “WORLD HERITAGE SITE KALKA-SHIMLA RAILWAY” awarded by UNESCO on 7th of July, 2008.
- This historic railway line was opened on 9th November 1903 by the Britishers to easily connect the summer capital Shimla to the rest of India.
Not only this, but the toy train journey to Shimla is also an amazing and unique experience in and of itself, Travelling through the desolate yet undeniably pretty landscapes with views of snowy mountains, an abundance of plush green sights and amazingly long built tunnels is going to be more than worthwhile.
Kalka to Shimla Train RouteKalka-Taksal-Gumman-Koti-Sonwara-Dharampur Himachal-Kumar Hatti Dagshai-Barog-Solan-Salogra-Kandaghat-Kanoh-Kathleeghat-Shoghi-Tara Devi-Jutogh-Summer Hill-Shimla.
We have listed for you the trains that go on the said route along with and timings.
KLK SML PASS
4:00 AM-9:20 AM
5:10 AM-9:5 AM
SHIVALIK DELUXE EXPRESS
5:30 AM-10:15 AM
KALKA SHIMLA EXPRESS
6:00 AM-11:05 AM (peak season only)
12:10 PM-5:20 PM
7:00 AM-12:10 PM
12:45 PM-6:10 PM
Another quiet exciting addition to the Kalka-Shimla Railway route is;
- The ‘Him Darshan Express’ which has started its operation between Kalka and Shimla on the Christmas of 2019 till December 2020. So the ones planning their trips this year are in for a new, better and hearty treat!
- With six first-class AC coaches with an additional pleasure of vista domes, Him Darshan Express only adds to the awe of this railway route and the journey to Shimla.
- The train starts from Kalka station at 7:00 AM- 12:55 PM and makes its return journey from Shimla station at 3:50 PM-9:15 PM.
- The fare per person is INR 630 for a single-sided journey.
We really hope all of this information proves to be helpful for you and your travel endeavours! We have tried providing you a detailed account of every sphere of travelling from Delhi to Shimla by train, enjoy the mountains and heavenly atmosphere of Shimla.