Timings : Preferably day time
Time Required : December to April
Entry Fee : USD 60 - USD 1250
For all those wishing to keep their heads above water, Maldives won't disappoint. The natural environment of the islands bejeweled with crystal clear lagoons and turquoise blue waters is the perfect combination for a natural water sports arena. With technological advancement water sports centres have advanced equipment which will make your experience a thrilling one.
Usually, acclaimed water sports operate with resorts, so that patrons of the resort can avail the facilities offered at an extra charge. This doesn't need you to be a patron of the resort to avail the tours - you can always approach them separately. The locations of the activities are usually centred around the resort islands that the agencies operate within.
1. Kurumba Water Sports: Kurumba Water Sports is the sports operator agency affiliated to Kurumba Maldives, a resort island in Vihamanafushi. While staying at the resort gives you an edge over choosing the sports you want and making use of the amenities, you can also approach the agency for private bookings. They offer all the sports mentioned above. You can visit them personally at the resort.
2. Dive Kingdom: The Dive Kingdom offers water sports at Ayada Maldives, a resort located at Maguhdhuvaa Island, Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll. It provides excursions and trips for jet skiing, water skiing, wakeboarding, catamaran sailing, fun tubes, windsurfing, wave surfing, sunset fishing and speedboat charters. Diving lessons are also held periodically. An interesting option you can explore is the kid's program, where a PADI course can be taught to children starting from age 8.
3. Extreme Maldives: This agency operates from two resorts - the Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort and Spa at Furanafushi Island, North Malé Atoll, and Cocoon Maldives at Ookolhufinolho, Lhaviyani Atoll. They provide reliable equipment and certified instructors, who offer exclusive excursions in catamaran sailing, jet skiing, kiteboarding, surfing, speed boating, parasailing, canoeing, wakeskating, windsurfing, wakeboarding, big game fishing, water skiing, and snorkelling. Cruises can also be arranged. You can contact them.
4. Qadventure Maldives: This adventure operator agency is a water sports facilitator who has branches in three of the most populated and frequented atolls - Royal Island Resort and Spa in Baa Atoll, Paradise Island Resort and Spa in Malé Atoll and Sun Island Resort in South Ari Atoll. They offer catamaran sailing, snorkelling, kitesurfing, water scooter, parasailing and windsurfing experiences, among others. They also provide PADI coaching and custom consultations. You can approach them at any of their locations.
1. The adventure agencies often follow a schedule for water sports - for example, the time for reef snorkelling as a group may be on Monday morning, from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM. Do enquire with the agency in advance to book your slot.
2. All agencies provide equipment on a rental basis. Handle them carefully.
3. Make sure that you are insured before embarking on vacations, especially those that involve sporting activities.
4. Some agencies may require you to sign a document that holds you responsible for any physical harm. So, exercise caution while engaging in water sports
5. People with health issues like hyperventilation, hypothermia, heart issues, asthma, and BP issues are advised to exercise caution before taking up water sports
6. Stock up on waterproof sunscreen to keep your skin safe
7. Be sure to wear a lifejacket before getting into the water, especially if you don't know how to swim
8. Some activities may not be recommended for pregnant women - ask your instructor for details
9. Fares mentioned may be exclusive of taxes
10. Remember that all activities are subject to weather conditions - watersports in Maldives are suspended in case of unfavourable weather
11. Take a waterproof box along to keep your belongings safe like your wallet, phone and keys
12. Take along an action camera to record your adventures
13. Keep in mind these general safety and travel advice while travelling to this island nation
Compare quotes from upto 3 travel agents for free