Every place in the world can have a marvellous nightlife, but the nightlife in Thailand is a one of a kind experience. The nightlife in Chiang Mai, better known as the city of temples in Thailand, is not oblivious to hosting a good time when the sun sets. Chiang Mai turns into a treasure trove at night, when streets line up with markets, alcohol starts flowing, and there is a buzz of friendly cheer in the air. The nightlife in Chiang Mai has something for everyone and shows locals and tourists how to have a good time. So whether you're a thrifty shopper, a party animal, a food connoisseur or a travel enthusiast, Chiang Mai's nightlife will keep you pumped through the night with not a dull moment to spare.
Nightclubs, Bars and Pubs in Chiang Mai
1. Warm Up CafeWarm Up Cafe is less of a club, and more of a party institution. It has been around for almost 15 years now, and is considered the best spots for nightlife in Chiang Mai. Regulars swear by its electric vibe and rocking ambience. It is a perfect blend of Thai and western clubbing styles, with DJs belting out an eclectic range of songs. Tables packed together are usually stacked sky-high with whiskey bottles, surrounded by partygoers swaying to the music and having a crazy time. It is best to visit during weekends after 10:00 PM to let your hair down for a wild night of drinks and dance.
Location: 40 Nimmanhaemin Road, Chiang Mai
Timings: 6:00 PM - 2:00 AM
Recommendations: Pre-book tables in advance since the club is crowded on most days.
2. Zoe In YellowAmong the many clubs in the Old City, Zoe In Yellow is the most prominent since it is known for being extremely hot and happening. It is packed with young crowds, especially foreign backpackers and travellers partying on a budget making it an exciting party destinations in Chiang Mai. Drinks are free-flowing, since prices are quite low, with beers starting at THB 60 and cocktails starting at THB 100 only. All sorts of music, reggae, electro-funk, hip-hop and pop, can be heard reverberating in the streets, spreading good vibes. Even when things start winding up here, the party just doesn't stop. The crowd moves over to Spicy, another nightclub in the vicinity that guarantees insane partying well into the night.
Location: Rajvithi road, Old city, Chiang Mai
Timings: 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Recommendations: This club tends to get very crowded, so look out for your valuable belongings.
3. The Good View Bar and RestaurantUndoubtedly one of the most popular and beloved restaurants in the city, The Good View is known for its magnificent aesthetic and wide menu. It overlooks the Ping River which makes for an exquisite panoramic view, lending the restaurant its name. It specialises in Thai meats, seafood and also western fast food, all priced reasonably, beginning from THB 140. Cocktails are delicious too, and are considerably cheap at THB 150. It is best to visit after sundown, with the glittering skyline and a plate full of gastronomic delight creating a surreal experience you will never forget.
Location: 13 Charoen Raj Road, Chiang Mai
Timings: 10:00 AM - 1:30 AM
Recommendations: The yellow crab curry, stir-fried squid, fried shrimps and red snapper fish are must-try dishes.
4. Myst MAYA
If you're looking for a swanky rooftop bar that boasts an amazing view of Chiang Mai, then Myst Maya is the perfect place to go. With its sophisticated atmosphere, exquisite cocktails, and delectable fusion dishes, you'll definitely feel like royalty here. You can even try their signature drink, the "Super Lamborghini," which is a tower of Flaming Lamborghini's that will leave your taste buds buzzing. Plus, with its open-air outside area and inside space where DJs play electronic dance music, you're in for an unforgettable night out. Just make sure you dress appropriately and prepare to splurge a little, as Myst Maya is on the pricier side.
Location: MAYA Lifestyle Shopping Center
Address: 55 Huay Kaew Rd, Tambon Chang Phueak, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand
Timings: Opens daily, 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Cuisines: Thai, Fusion, Bar, Pub
5. Little Amsterdam Bar Coffee
Little Amsterdam Bar Coffee is a cozy and unique spot in the heart of Chiang Mai that is sure to satisfy your craving for Dutch treats, delicious coffee, and refreshing cocktails. The funky decor and playful atmosphere make it a great place to relax and catch up with friends or simply people-watch from the sidewalk seating. And if you're looking for authentic Thai cuisine, you won't be disappointed with the exceptional food and attentive service. With affordable prices and a convenient location near the night market and other shopping options along the Ping river, Little Amsterdam Bar Coffee is the perfect choice for any occasion. So why not drop by and experience a taste of Amsterdam in Chiang Mai for yourself?
Address: 42 Charoen Prathet Rd, Tambon Chang Moi, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand
Timings: Opens daily, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
6. Tha Chang CafeTha Chang Cafe is a local outdoor bar, popular in the Old City. It is set up along the roadside, in a never-before-seen pub aesthetic, and decorated with lanterns decked on trees. You can expect to find a majority of the local crowd hanging out here, since it is a great spot for a night of casual drinking. Alcohol is served cheap, with beers, whiskey and cocktails beginning from THB 60. The food menu consists of several snacks to pair with drinks. This cafe offers a once-in-a-lifetime experience of drinking like a local, so don't miss it.
Location: 45, JJ Market Project, Assadathon Road
Timings: 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Recommendations: Do try the bucket cocktail, especially if you are with a large group.
7. Van BarsVan Bars are one of those quirky experiences one aims to have in Chiang Mai. These can be thought of as mobile bars, wherein buses or vans have been converted to mini pubs. They are mostly visited by tourists or locals looking to pre-booze before going to fancier and more expensive nightclubs. These mini-parties can be found all over the city, the most notable ones being located in and around the Tha Phae Gate. They make cool hangout spots, complete with lights, music and dance setting the mood for a great outdoor party.
Location: Thanon Chaiyaphum, Tapae Gate
Timings: No fixed timings as they move from place to place
Recommendations: Any cheap alcohol making it a perfect way to start the night
8. The RoofAtop Sana Lanna Hotel, a boutique hotel on the banks of River Ping, The Roof is a rooftop bar in Chiang Mai. As the name suggests, The Roof is on the roof the hotel, offering breathtaking 360 degree views of the scenic Ping River, Chiang Mai and the Doi Sothep temple. It is pretty windy up at The Roof because of the surrounding Ping River and these cool breezes add to the serenity. The seating arrangement is impressive, with varieties of benches and couches, as well as a pool where one can relax. Post sunset is a good time to visit The Roof when it lights up with lanterns, candles and live music. There are happy hours offers from 6 PM, when you can buy two free drinks for one.
Location: Sala Lanna, Chiang Mai, 49 Charoenrat Road
Timings: 6:00 PM- 11:00 PM
9. THC Rooftop Bar
An overwhelming rooftop bar in Chiang Mai, THC Rooftop Bar is mostly popular among the backpackers and youngsters. THC stands for The Chemical in Marijuana, but contrary to the name, there are no drugs available at this bar. The name only hints that it is a reggae bar, playing trance, reggae and drum and bass music. While you climb up to the staircase to the bar, the neon graffiti lighting and empty rooms seals the deal for ambience. The lovely views of Chiang Mai and Doi Sethop are the icing on the cake. The location of the bar is eerie and not easily found and it has been described as a tree house very often owing to a lot of wooden decoration. The environment remains loud till late night and backpackers are always in the mood to dance. The ambience is made relaxing and comfortable with pillows and tables on the floor. To sum up, it is a good place for views, cheap drinks, music and dance. The bestsellers in the menu are Thai dishes, alcohols and smoothies.
Location: 19/4-5 Kotchasarn Road, Opposite Thapae Gate
Timings: 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Recommendations: Thai food, alcohol and fruit smoothies
Riverside Restaurants in Chiang Mai
10. Riverside Bar in Chiang Mai
Sitting next to the idyllic Ping River is the Riverside Bar, an absolute tourist magnet, especially for a relaxing nightcap. From food to music to service, everything at Riverside is top-notch. If you are lucky enough to get a table close to the river, it will be a night to remember. It is perfect for a date night as well. Riverside was established in the 1984 and has been attracting tourists ever since. Even if you do not get a seat close to the river, there is a lot more to enjoy. The retro interior, the wooden house standing relentlessly, unaffected by the countless floods and the rock/indie band performing English cover songs live. The menu has every Thai dish you have ever heard of, fusion dishes, western dishes, seafood, desserts as well as a wide range of drinks.
Location: 9-11 Charoenrat Road, Riverside
Timings: 12:00 PM - 1:30 AM
Recommendations: Thai-Chinese dishes, Spirits and alcohols, Thai Whisky
11. The Duke's Ping River
Nestled on the banks of the serene Ping River, The Duke's Ping River is a charming restaurant in Thailand that offers a delightful dining experience. The restaurant's location offers guests stunning views of the river, creating a relaxing ambiance perfect for a romantic dinner or a family gathering. The menu boasts a selection of mouth-watering dishes, including classic Thai cuisine and international favorites, prepared by experienced chefs using the freshest ingredients. The restaurant's friendly staff and warm atmosphere make it an ideal spot for an evening out or a special occasion. If you're looking for a memorable dining experience in Thailand, The Duke's Ping River is definitely worth a visit.
Address: 49, 4-5 Chiang Mai-Lam Phun Rd, Tambon Chang Moi, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand
Timings: Opens daily, 10:30 AM - 10:00 PM
Live Music in Chiang Mai
12. Boy Blues Bar
If you're looking for a local's favorite in Chiang Mai, look no further than Boy Blues Bar. Tucked away above the bustling Chiang Mai Night Bazaar, this atmospheric dive bar is a must-visit for anyone in search of great live music. The legendary Boy himself leads the charge, belting out soulful blues and jazz tunes alongside his talented house band.Don't expect a glitzy interior here, but the rough-and-ready decor only adds to the charm of this beloved spot. Grab a cold drink, settle in, and let the smooth, bluesy rhythms wash over you. And if you're in the mood for some shopping, the Night Bazaar is just a stone's throw away. Come for the music, stay for the atmosphere - you won't regret it.
Address: Chang Moi Sub-district, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand
Timings: Monday - Saturday, 7:00 PM - 12:00 AM (Closed on Sundays)
13. The North Gate Jazz Co-Op
If you're a fan of jazz and a laid-back atmosphere, The North Gate Jazz Co-Op is the perfect spot for you. This casual venue features a regular lineup of live jazz artists, attracting both local and visiting instrumentalists looking to stretch their musical abilities in jam sessions. The venue's bohemian spirit is a testament to the city of Chiang Mai, which locals say beats Bangkok when it comes to artistic freedom.The cozy shophouse interior is packed with musicians and patrons alike, while the outdoor tables set on the sidewalk provide the perfect place to enjoy a drink and soak up the lively atmosphere. While the music isn't always everyone's cup of tea, the variety of genres on display perfectly encapsulates the loose, fun ethos of The North Gate Jazz Co-Op. Don't miss out on the chance to experience this unique venue for yourself!
Address: 91 1-2 SriPoom Rd, Tambon Si Phum, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Timings: Opens daily, 7:30 PM - 12:00 AM
Cannabis Cafes in Chiang Mai
14. Trichome CNX Cannabis Cafe
Trichome CNX Cannabis Cafe is a popular spot in Chiang Mai, Thailand, for cannabis enthusiasts to enjoy a variety of cannabis-infused drinks and food in a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere. The cafe also sells cannabis-related products and hosts events. Trichome CNX also offers smoking accessories, CBD oils, and hosts regular events.
Address: 206 Tha Phae Road, Tambon Chang Moi, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand
Timings: Opens daily, 9:00 AM - 12:00 AM
15. The Buds Station
Located in the bustling city of Bangkok, The Buds Station is a leading cannabis dispensary in Thailand that specialises in selling medical cannabis products. As one of the few dispensaries granted a licence to sell medical cannabis products, The Buds Station has become a popular destination for locals and tourists alike who are interested in using cannabis for medical purposes.
The dispensary offers a diverse range of cannabis products, from oils and tinctures to capsules and dried flowers, along with expert consultation services to help patients find the right type and dosage of cannabis for their needs.
The Buds Station is committed to quality and safety, and all of their cannabis products are carefully tested and sourced from reputable growers and suppliers.
While medical cannabis use is legal in Thailand, it's important to note that recreational use of cannabis is still illegal and punishable by law.
Address: 109 Photharam Rd, Tambon Chang Phueak, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50300, Thailand
Timings: Opens daily, 11:00 AM - 12:30 AM
Night Markets in Chiang Mai
16. Night BazaarNight Bazaar is the ultimate night market experience in Chiang Mai. It is a large shopping quarter spread over blocks and blocks. Tireless rows of shops sell everything under the sun, from apparel, jewellery, antiques, domestic goods, kitchenware, furniture, games, CDs, cloth, and much much more. Everything is available for cheap prices, and yet a little bargaining is the accepted norm, if done amicably. Options of restaurants and bars are also available in the market, as are various entertainment programs, keeping the area buzzing with activity all night long.
Location: Intersection of Tha Pae and Chang Klang Roads
Timings: 6:00 PM - 11:00 PM
Recommendations: Anusarn Market and Kalare Market are the two most popular markets within the Bazaar.
17. Walking StreetsThe walking streets are among the most popular experiences tourists look forward to having in Chiang Mai. They consist of shops flanking both sides of a street, where vendors sell everything from cheap apparel, shoes, bags, jewellery, souvenirs and delicious Thai street food. Both markets are made lively by live music, bright lights, massage parlours, entertainment performances and chattering voices. Go for the market on Sunday if you enjoy large, friendly crowds, and on Saturday if you are looking for a quieter stroll down the shopping street.
Location: Saturday Walking Street: Wualai Road, near the South moat of the old town,Sunday Walking Street: Tha Pae to Ratchadamneon Road, Chiang Mai Old City
Timings: 4:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Recommendations: There is a lot of walking involved, so wear comfortable shoes and don't carry heavy bags.
18. Chiang Mai North Gate MarketThe Chiang Mai North Gate Market is known locally as Chang Puak, and is located close to the North Gate in Old Chiang Mai city, which gives the place its name. During the day, the area is a local fruit-vegetable market. Come night, the roadside starts lining up with street food stalls which serve freshly prepared Thai dishes. There are tons of options to choose from, and their insanely cheap prices will pop your eyes out. Dishes begin from as low as THB 10, making it a well-known haunt. If you want to feel like a local, visit this market when those late night hunger pangs hit you.
Location: Manee Nopparat Road, Si Phum
Timings: 5:00 PM - 12:00 PM
Recommendations: These vendors specialise in skewered meat, pork and seafood dishes.
19. Ploen Ruedee Night MarketPloen Ruedee Night Market is the modern traveller's food bazaar. Shops with bright colours and funky designs align themselves in this market, promising your taste buds a delightful tour around the world. The place has cuisines ranging from national to international. So whether you want Thai pork balls, a greasy burger or a chug of drink, this market has got you covered. The ambience here runs high on style, with cool aesthetics and live music streaming in the air. A few boutique stores are also available to shop at, in case your hands begin to feel itchy.
Location: Chang Klan Road
Timings: Monday - Saturday: 5:30 PM - 12:00 AM
Recommendations: Since the famous Night Bazaar lies in proximity to Ploen Ruedee, both markets can be covered together.
Programs and Performances
20. Muay Thai Matches in Chiang MaiAn alley lined with around 30 raucous bars and the infamous Muay Thai boxing ring hosting kickboxing bouts, the CM Entertainment Complex is one of those places you can enjoy with your buddies in Thailand. The narrow arcaded lanes have identical beer bars, frequented by loud and rowdy crowds. There may be a fee applicable on weekends, though one can negotiate for a discount.
The noteworthy thing about the complex is the free boxing and wrestling nights, with passionate and cheering audience. The cheap menus, loud music and dazzling lights are what make the complex the epicenter of nightlife in Chiang Mai. The beer bars offer live sports screening, dartboards and pools. The pricing is pretty uniform throughout the complex. You must remain cautious as the place may have some safety issues, but don't let that stop you from having fun.
Location: Loi Kroh Road, on the way to Night Bazaar
Timings: 7:00 PM - 1:30 AM
Recommendations: It is advisable to go in a large group of friends for safety purposes. Not suitable for families.
21. Ladyboy Cabaret ShowsThe Ladyboy Cabaret Show is one of the most dazzling sights you will ever witness in your lifetime. Ladyboys dress up in extravagant outfits to put up a stellar performance of dance and song that has the audience swaying with them. They also enjoy interacting with the audience, which makes the merrymaking even more infectious. Its prime location in the Night Bazaar makes it easy to catch after a night of shopping. Mirinn Cabaret, Calypso Cabaret and Golden Dome Cabaret Show are popular ladyboy Cabaret shows.
Location: Anusarn Night Market, Night Bazaar, Chan Klan Road
Timings: 9:30 PM and 11:00 PM
Recommendations: Tickets are priced at THB 290 (one drink and snack included), and it is advisable to pre-book them.
22. Mae Ping River CruiseChiang Mai's prime water source, the Ping River, is the epicentre of activity in the city. Whether it is daily commutation, cruises, or adventure activities like rafting, kayaking and boating, the Ping River has got it all. Various companies, most notably the Mae Ping River Cruise, offer tickets and tours that give an opportunity to introduce yourself to the Thai way of life. During the day, visitors prefer a laid-back boat ride that explores local lifestyles on the riverbank, while at nighttime, cruise liners are full of couples looking to spend quality time with each other in a posh dinner cruise.
Location: Chareonprathet Lane 8 Alley, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang MaiNights in Chiang Mai don't ever seem to end. As the sky gets darker, more and more streets light up with the city's nightly culture. So whether you want to party with no holds barred, or enjoy a peaceful stroll along the night markets, Chiang Mai has got it all.
Timings: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Recommendations: Combine the river activities with hiking, biking and zip lining tours to explore the city wholly.